What happens if a Champ misses weight for a title fight?

Ravendarat

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Im not sure that its ever happened but what if a champion came in over weight before the fight and couldn't get it down in time. Same penalties as other fighters in regards to purse? Title fight still on? Off but retains belt? Off but looses belt? Whats the protocol or is there not any?

Non-title fight and if he loses he's stripped by the promoter maybe.

Paulo Filho missed weight in a title fight against Chael Sonnen in the WEC. The fight was changed to a three round non-title fight, which Chael won. In essence, Filho was rewarded for missing weight.

Paulo Filho missed weight in a title fight against Chael Sonnen in the WEC. The fight was changed to a three round non-title fight, which Chael won. In essence, Filho was rewarded for missing weight.

Filho later mailed the belt to Chael. Which I thought was pretty cool.

Sometimes I think this is me posting on an alternate account.

Non-title fight.

Get bitched out and publicly shamed by Dana.

I remember hearing when Hendricks almost missed weight the fight would be a title fight if Lawler won, nothing if Hendricks won

Filho would have still won that fight if he wasn't being ganged by Chael and that invisible spirit that only Filho could see.

Filho later mailed the belt to Chael. Which I thought was pretty cool.

It was a nice gesture and well deserved. But the WEC never made it official, so it remained only a gesture.

One of the strangest fights I have ever seen.

I think at the very least the champ should be stripped of the title. They then can fight in a non title fight with the winner going on to fight for a vacant title afterwards. And if/when the former champ gets another chance at the title he will be fighting for a vacant title and would no longer get the champions advantage of being able to retain the title in the case of a draw/no contest.

Would of been kind of comical if the belt got lost in the mail.

Filho would have still won that fight if he wasn't being ganged by Chael and that invisible spirit that only Filho could see.

b87nl4.jpg

It was a nice gesture and well deserved. But the WEC never made it official, so it remained only a gesture.

One of the strangest fights I have ever seen.

I actually think it's more official coming from the fighter than the promotion.

Yeah that was a classic. Frank Mir was the commentator and had those great lines about Filho seeing ghosts.

I actually think it's more official coming from the fighter than the promotion.

Yeah that was a classic. Frank Mir was the commentator and had those great lines about Filho seeing ghosts.

"Who is he looking at?!?!"

Wouldn't it be cray if it was Chael pitching his voice?

It wasn't fair of the promoter to force Filho to fight two supernatural beings at once.

Back