What GSP fights do you find boring?

Yeah, I may be misremembering. And I was very excited for the fight at the time. GSP is my favorite fighter of all time. But I remember finding the fight a wad overwhelming in the last two.

Here is a more controversial one: I found the Hardy fight very entertaining. GSP was doing some amazing jitz.
The fight would be remembered a lot differently if GSP made a tiny adjustment on the armbar or the kimura... or if Hardy wasn't such a tough son of a bitch.

Sure fought Serra safe that second time. Hughes the third time too. And Fitch, definitely Fitch.

Exactly, safe as fuck, glad you noticed as well.

I'm a technique junkie, so his fight have never bored me. The Hardy fight was a bit dull but I still got a lot of info, so I enjoyed it.

At least GSP fights had action from start to finish. Silva is recognized as one of the most “exciting” fighters ever. But the majority of his fights were him circling, not engaging and just waiting. People excuse this though, because he’s “collecting data on his opponent”. But what happens when he doesn’t figure out the formula and get the highlight reel KO? Leitas, Maia, Diaz, Brunson, am I missing any? Boring ass fights, that’s what. Even the Bisping fight sucked. For 90% of it Anderson was doing nothing.

I almost always enjoyed GSP fights until it got to the middle of the 4th round and it became clear what the result was unless his opponent pulled something out of his ass at the last second

The Diaz fight was pretty boring but that was mainly nicks fault for turtling like a bitch and giving up early.

Honestly none, the technique is something to behold in every televised fight with GSP, pointless thread

Different people look for different things. I agree with you, every GSP fight is like a technical seminar, its always interesting for me. In fact, I've watched portions of many of his fights countless times - and it gets more interesting the closer you watch it (slow motion is extremely useful for this). People wanting to study MMA techniques are in general going to like watching GSP's fights.

Other people aren't interested in technique, they just want to see guys bang. They're never going to enjoy GSP's fights.

Its not that one is right and the other is wrong; enjoyment is subjective. Its completely correct for one person to enjoy GSP's fights and another person to find them boring. What's wrong (or actually simply silly) is to expect everyone to agree on whether his fights are boring or interesting. Its like expecting everyone to like the same food, or the same movie, or the same books - people simply don't work that way.

Kids in elementary school think everyone should like the same band, or the same flavor ice-cream, or the same movie. Adults are supposed to know better. Sherdog seems to be full of elementary school kids, who think that GSP is either objectively boring or objectively interesting; its hilarious, and I wonder how these people are going to deal with later life, when they discover their girl friends/wives/children find different things interesting or boring than they do.

Most of them. You know he's going to win a decision and not press for a finish. Even his "exciting" fights were rather dull as you knew what was going to happen.

Better question: Which GSP fights do you find NOT boring

Do you understand math? From the replies in this thread, we can gather that the majority of posters would label six of GSP’s 22 UFC fights as “boring”:

-Alves (questionable)
-Kos 1 and 2
-Hardy
-Shields (no argument)
-Diaz

That means a little more than 1/4 of GSP’s UFC fights have been “boring”. Meaning 16 out of 22 have been the exact opposite. Let’s examine:

-Took down Hughes right off the bat in their first fight, was on his way to winning the first round until Hughes pulled off a super sweet armbar buzzer-beater. Great fight

-Defied gravity on Hughes’ slam attempt in rematch, nearly finished him with a first-round buzzer-beater of his own via Superman punch/GnP, then came back out with a head kick KO vs. P4P #2 and UFC’s most dominant champ. Legendary fight

-Outclassed Hughes in the rubber match with beautiful throws and got his revenge for his only submission loss with an armbar of his own. Great fight

-Went toe-to-toe on the feet vs. Serra in his first title defense, absorbed haymaker behind the ear plus 20-30 more bombs on the feet and on the ground before tapping out as the ref stepped in (very late stoppage). Great fight

-Nearly lacerated Serra’s spleen in the rematch with most brutal grounded knees stoppage seen in the UFC to this day. Great fight

-Came back from ACL surgery and survived a head kick and brutal GnP from beast mode Condit (champ vs. champ) but got up and dished back enough punishment to win every round. Great fight

-Came off a four-year layoff and moved up a weight class, dropped Bisping with a left hook and choked him to sleep after mauling him with vicious elbows. Legendary fight

-Went to war with young, prime BJ in his UFC return, survived a big uppercut early/omoplata late and stole the third round with a huge slam to clutch the win. Legendary fight

-Pummeled BJ’s skull into hamburger meat in the rematch (champ vs. champ). Great fight

-Went to war with pre-USADA Hendricks, survived a big beating after a slip and stole the fifth round to clutch the win. Great fight

-Arguably most epic, lopsided beatdown in a UFC championship fight over 7-fight win streak Fitch. Great fight

-Ran right through No. 2 Trigg without breaking a sweat. Great fight

-Made Sherk go “AGGH” when he ‘it ‘im wit an elbow. Great fight

-Made Mayhem and Parysian look like amateurs. Great fights

-Jay Hieron go night-night
Let me rephrase then. GSP has had more boring fights as WW champ then he has had exciting ones.

Shields and Hardy were the only two I won't even bother re-watching.

For me only Dan Hardy and Koschek 2 were boring, I enjoyed every other fight. I love watching him completely outclass his opponents

The Dan Hardy fight. His coach kept yelling "don't pass his guard" to GSP. It was pathetic. Just literally laying on him for a decision.

Exactly, safe as fuck, glad you noticed as well.
Yeah, if only he threw those knees to Serra’s spleen with a little more ill intent. Really wish he showed some killer instinct there.

The Dan Hardy fight. His coach kept yelling "don't pass his guard" to GSP. It was pathetic. Just literally laying on him for a decision.

GSP nearly ripped off his arm twice and passed his guard over 20 times. His coaches wanted him to GNP and soften up Hardy when it wasn't working.

Did you watch this fight? Sounds like you read about it on Sherdog.

I don't how posters can call performances like this "pathetic" when nobody has ever made Dan Hardy look this useless. Nobody. The only time Hardy has been in finished is in wild exchanges, and GSP didn't let him into any.

Hardy has gone on to explain this fight himself as "I wasn't fighting GSP, I was defending myself for 25mins"... This is pathetic for GSP? Grow up or find a new sport.

Last edited:
Let me rephrase then. GSP has had more boring fights as WW champ then he has had exciting ones.
That’s your response after looking at that list. Huh. Guy has 16 classic fights out of 22, and you choose to look at his championship fights, when guys were just fighting him not to lose and to make it to the scorecards, and say, “Well, half of those championship fights were boring.” OK, maybe the challengers should have put up a better fight then. Still doesn’t make GSP a boring fighter when almost 75% of his UFC fights have been exciting.

That’s your response after looking at that list. Huh. Guy has 16 classic fights out of 22, and you choose to look at his championship fights, when guys were just fighting him not to lose and to make it to the scorecards, and say, “Well, half of those championship fights were boring.” OK, maybe the challengers should have put up a better fight then. Still doesn’t make GSP a boring fighter when almost 75% of his UFC fights have been exciting.
Oh well. My opinion, get over it.

GSP nearly ripped off his arm twice and passed his guard over 20 times. His coaches wanted him to GNP and soften up Hardy when it wasn't working.

Did you watch this fight? Sounds like you read about it on Sherdog.

I don't how posters can call performances like this "pathetic" when nobody has ever made Dan Hardy look this useless. Nobody. The only time Hardy has been in finished is in wild exchanges, and GSP didn't let him into any.

Hardy has gone on to explain this fight himself as "I wasn't fighting GSP, I was defending myself for 25mins"... This is pathetic for GSP? Grow up or find a new sport.

I have never heard a coach in 25 years of watching mma, other than in this fight, yell "don't pass his guard". For literelly everyone else passing guard gets you into a more dominant position where you can better attempt to finish the fight.

I have never heard a coach in 25 years of watching mma, other than in this fight, yell "don't pass his guard". For literelly everyone else passing guard gets you into a more dominant position where you can better attempt to finish the fight.

You never heard or saw that happen before? Oh well that changes everything. Apply any context you want.

Shocking the MMA genuis from sherdog is unfamiliar with the tactic of softening up an opponent with strikes when you can't find a submission. I know it's uncommon, but I would have expected you to grasp this rare, odd style of fighting.

Do you think GSP and his trainers invented this tactic?

Back