What footwork do you use to set up the rear hand?

GoatArtemLobov

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Personally I almost always circle towards my opponent lead foot (usually being the taller fighter/rangier) to outjab him from the outside. Literally 95% of my punches are lead hand punches from the outside. To set up the rear hand against a good opponent, I often quickly change direction to throw the 2 and pivot out and either follow if my opponent is overwhelmed or go back to frustrating him with my jabs from the outside.
Actually, I do it a bit like that (you knwo this channel is gold of course), with the exception being that I don't throw a jab while pivoting out.

Which footwork do you use to set up the right hand?

Last edited:
BTW, I don't know what your take is on that, but I never circle out on the right if my last punch is a right hand, and never circle out on the left if my last punch is a left hand, because, if you get countered over the top while circling into the punch, you ae going to get ktfoed for sure.
Maybe many people will disagree on that, but from my own experience the worst shots are the ones you are circling into, so unless I'm way faster etc. than my opponent, I never take the risk.
So if I get countered over the top throwing the jab, the fact that I circle towards my rear hand takes a bit of steam of the punch. Same thing if I pivot out on the left after throwing a right hand.

For me as a lefty I have two main set ups for my left hand,
1) Your classic step outside and throw the lead hand, particularly in response to a jab
2) I step in between my opponents feet with my front foot, then I step out on an angle with the left, so that my left hand smacks across their face at an angle similar to a hook.

I usually use the footwork that helps set up my right hand (rear)

Jab to judge distance + jab step in into an overhand right. (move head from centerline)

Feint the low kick or just jab first. I don’t worry too much about setting up footwork?

I sometimes step into range and bend at the waist to hopefully slip my opponents lead hand then straighten up to throw my rear hand while they are exposed. A lot of times people throw the jab automatically as you step into range and sometimes you can use it against them.

Last edited:
Active parry (stepping forward and right when parrying the jab) watch Marciano, my right is pretty dangerous after studying the rock.

I havent sparred in over 2 years, but i usually just feint non stop till i see an opening for me to shoot my straight or 1-2

Jab or feint, step back on a SLIGHT angle, jab and rear hand.

Done to perfection.

Back