What exactly is a "paper champion" and some notable examples?

Basically a placeholder who didnt win the real title by beating the best guy the lineal best fighter at weight

In recent times Jamahal Hill was an obvious paper champ. Jiri was the champ. Vacated due to injury and Jamahal beat Glover to win it. He wasnt the real LHW champ. He was a paper champ.

Last edited:
Even though I didn't agree, everyone was saying Arlovski was the paper champion, because he beat Big Tim to win the belt, but Mir was the HW champ and they took it off him because of his motorbike accident.

Nah, he beat Conor who would still be considered the lineal champion at the time since Conor's last MMA bout was a title win against Eddie. Beating Al is definitely the marking of a paper champion, but Khabib's win over Conor erases the notion of a paper champion.
Conor never defended his title(s) and received a title shot at LW as his first fight in the division.
Conor is the ultimate paper champion.

Khabib defeated previous champion Conor his next bout.
Khabib was a paper champion... until he wasn't.
Conor never defended his title so he is also a paper champion. But we’ve all heard the saying:
To be a paper champ you’ve got to beat a paper champ.

Khabib. Was protected. Didn’t beat anybody besides Conor and dusty

Conor never defended his title(s) and received a title shot at LW as his first fight in the division.
Conor is the ultimate paper champion.
Conor finished both guys in the first round. Only paper there is All cash baby

who did khabib beat in the first round? Justin?

Aljo was initially regarded as a paper champ for winning the belt via disqualification, but he thereafter put that tag to rest.

Maybe Makhachev can be considered a paper champion? The only top 5 of his entire life was Charles and then defending the belt 2 consecutive times against a... FW. I mean, is this legit? LOL.

Last edited:
i tend to use the term more loosely. to me bisping and serra were paper champs, guys that technically had the belt but who everyone knew he weren't even close to being the best fighter in their division and probably wouldn't be able to defend even once. i don't think the term has one definition everyone agrees on.

As much as i realize dc would be a more accomplished jon jones (hw) minus seven addictions and the decision making skills of a landmine..

Dc is probably the best example lately.. not because i think he's in any way worse than say bisping or tate..

It's just he never beat the guy.. on the contrary he lost to the guy twice in catastrophical fashion..

Khabib beating iaquinta for the belt isn't exactly khabibs fault.. same with jamahal or bisping.. they just had a good hand and played it.. with dc we all knew for a fact he wasn't the baddest man at 205..

No knock on dc though.. still atg fighter and the fauvorite to beat any man in the world except, ironically, jon jones..

Back