What does Khabib need to do to surpass BJ Penn as the LW GOAT?

13Seconds

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
BJ PENN IN HIS PRIME

Lighting fast hands and great boxing technique:

FarflungPersonalCanadagoose-small.gif

giphy.gif

Great on the ground:
5.gif

jailbreak.gif

tumblr_oi50k6MV9t1rofocqo2_500.gifv

3.gif

So BJ has been the undisputed LW GOAT for a long time now, and it's hard to argue just based on what he could do when he was at his best. Let's not forget what he did in WW too. Outwrestling Fitch and dominating prime Hughes, a bigger, stronger wrestler than Khabib. I think prime for prime, BJ starches Khabib.

BJ is undoubtedly still the LW goat imo. Khabib isn't far off though. If Bib runs through Gaethje like he has to anyone else, has he surpassed BJ?

That's tricky. It will be hard to pass BJ in terms of resume and the fact he fought some WW when he probably weighed 172 pounds. But if they fought in their primes I think Khabib would beat BJ. So how do you define GOAT? Best resume or who would win in their primes?

Not lose a ton of fights?

I don't care about his record or what happened recently with BJ still fighting, that is up to BJ to decide. All I know is BJ in his prime is the most unstoppable LW and one of the most amazing performer I have ever seen in MMA. In my mind, he is the greatest LW ever. I will never forget.

He only has 2 title defences lol. I think all this talk about Khabib being the LW GOAT is a spur of the moment thing for now.

I guarantee you if Justin wrecks him the percentage of people calling Khabib the GOAT will drop down significantly.
The record for LW defenses is 3.. he's literally one fight off from equalling that.

He only has 2 title defences lol. I think all this talk about Khabib being the LW GOAT is a spur of the moment thing for now.

I guarantee you if Justin wrecks him the percentage of people calling Khabib the GOAT will drop down significantly.

Even if Khabib loses to Justin he already ahead of BJ, and by a lot too. Prime or not, the level of competition that BJ has beaten is nowhere near that of today's LW.

BJ PENN IN HIS PRIME

giphy.gif

Great on the ground:
5.gif

jailbreak.gif

3.gif

So BJ has been the undisputed LW GOAT for a long time now, and it's hard to argue just based on what he could do when he was at his best. Let's not forget what he did in WW too. Outwrestling Fitch and dominating prime Hughes, a bigger, stronger wrestler than Khabib. I think prime for prime, BJ starches Khabib.

BJ is undoubtedly still the LW goat imo. Khabib isn't far off though. If Bib runs through Gaethje like he has to anyone else, has he surpassed BJ?

Skill for skill, BJ had the tools to beat Khabib.
IMHO it would be close to Werdum & Cain IMO (one a dominant wrestler who overwhelms his opponents, the other better striking and better on the ground)..

But IMHO as far as accomplishments strictly at LW, Khabib already surpassed BJ Penn.
As far as overall career though, BJ is still far ahead.

I never understood why title defence is brought up. Khabib and Tony had to go 10-0 before they were granted a title shot, all because of politics and UFC favoritism of Conor.
BJ Penn fought for the title in his 4th MMA fight.
In normal conditions Khabib would've possibly had 7 defenses by now.

LW Khabib better than LW Penn at any point in history. Very difficult to compare fighters of different eras because the game as a whole improves. BJ up to 2009 and 2010 had some good wins over top flight competition but on average fighters today are more skilled IMO. Training methods have improved etc. etc. However BJ is living proof that the end of your career matters and his end has gone on far too long. Therefore Khabib greater than BJ and I strongly dislike Khabib, of course I have no great like for BJ either.

Skill for skill, BJ had the tools to beat Khabib.
IMHO it would be close to Werdum & Cain IMO (one a dominant wrestler who overwhelms his opponents, the other better striking and better on the ground)..

But IMHO as far as accomplishments strictly at LW, Khabib already surpassed BJ Penn.
As far as overall career though, BJ is still far ahead.
u cant compare them because they are from diffrent eras. if they would fight eachother at there best bj wouldnt even have a 0% of winning that fight.

I don't care about his record or what happened recently with BJ still fighting, that is up to BJ to decide. All I know is BJ in his prime is the most unstoppable LW and one of the most amazing performer I have ever seen in MMA. In my mind, he is the greatest LW ever. I will never forget.

MMA has evolved a lot since BJs days. If Khabib keeps winning he will have beaten much better fighters than BJ did on avergage, and in more dominating fashion. Don't see how he's not the GOAT.

He surpassed BJ once he beat Al for the title, sorry hardcores and casuals for hurting your dreams of bj always being the goat.

BJ PENN IN HIS PRIME

giphy.gif

Great on the ground:
5.gif

jailbreak.gif

3.gif

IMO Khabib needs a couple of more defences. If Khabib defeated GSP in a good fight as opposed to GSP looking like shit due to the weight cut (which I don't see happening) that would cement him after beating gathje.
BJ's decline later in his career clouds how good he was at his peak for most people.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blunttruth
Back