What does it take for Usman to surpass GSP?

its not fucking impressive, he just got the title yesterday why the fuck are you bitches itching to make him surpass gsp so soon, remember when you guys said the same about woodley LMAO. wait for a few years if he's still champ and he beat some impressive fighters then he may be a bit below GSP, now he's not even in the same fucking league
No one said that about Woolley. He was one of the most boring champs ever and ducked Colby. Usman already fought the best in the division and is just sharpening his resume.

GSP tapped to strikes on his first title defense:

gif8.gif

Worse, he tapped to a choke before that. Tapping to strikes at least makes more medical sense than tapping to an armbar. Doctors can fix broken arms, you're back in action in 6 months and will have almost no longterm medical affects. But CTE's follow you the rest of your life, and there's nothing doctors can do about it. Beats me why everyone gives GSP a pass on tapping to an armbar, but not for strikes -- no one with any medical knowledge would agree.

That's why several national medical associations want to ban boxing and MMA (strikes to already concussed heads), but none of them want to ban BJJ or judo (broken arms and being choked out isn't a big deal medically). Most doctors think people who think tapping to strikes is worse are simply medically ignorant.

Skill-wise he has surpassed GSP already and GSP knows this. But probably will never be as popular. The majority of Africa probably can't watch these African UFC stars like they'd like to. But all Canada has is GSP and Drake, and they'll do what they gotta do to watch that trash.. GSP is awkward, super boring, no personality, dumbass haircut, and almost positively gay(Nothing wrong with that), retired, and everyone on sherdog still loves the guy. I'll never get the GSP fans or undying love, he was always a boring fighter, interview and everything else for me..

But all Canada has is GSP and Drake, and they'll do what they gotta do to watch that trash.. GSP is awkward, super boring, no personality, dumbass haircut, and almost positively gay(Nothing wrong with that), retired, and everyone on sherdog still loves the guy. I'll never get the GSP fans or undying love, he was always a boring fighter, interview and everything else for me..
Guys who are big fans of him are mainly Canadians. The reason they like him is because he's Canadian not because of his skills. Nothing wrong with that but there's obviously so much bias from them.

lmao blame Canada.. you're right the only reason Canadians like GSP is because he's Canadian... and you said drake, what about bieber

lmao blame Canada.. you're right the only reason Canadians like GSP is because he's Canadian... and you said drake, what about bieber
Yeah sure throw in Bieber I dont give a shit. I didn't even know he was canadien, but it makes sense.

GSP tapped to strikes on his first title defense:

gif8.gif

Didn't even need to look at your account date. It is well documented that he got rocked, his equilibrium was out of whack, he was getting pummeled, and had no chance of recovering. He was both doing the right thing by tapping and confident, secure, and wise enough to explain why he did so.

Your comment is extremely ignorant and shows your lack of understanding of this sport as well as the human body.

<{JustBleed}>

Records never tell the whole story. Largely because the UFC has made the outcomes of fights irrelevant. If the alleged 1.5 million buys last weekend taught us anything, it's that popularity rules over skill. GSP was one of the most popular fighters in history. My mom doesn't know shit about fighting, has heard of GSP. I hit up some friends this week to see if they wanted to check out the fights, nobody even knew who Usman was.

How can he surpass GSP? He can't.

What does it take for Usman to surpass GSP?

Keep winning would be my answer...

Just looking at Usman’s record it’s already really impressive. His win over Colby is imo tied with GSP’s win over BJ (if not better). Knocked out Burns who is one of the most dangerous BJJ practitioners at WW. The win over Masvidal is comparable to GSPs win over Condit as both opponents are the best strikers in the division.

Assuming he beats Masvidal and then defends against Leon or Colby, would he already be tied?

Continuity. Nothing more really. Usman has put on some performances that show skill wise he is one of the greats. Now he needs to maintain that.

Just looking at Usman’s record it’s already really impressive. His win over Colby is imo tied with GSP’s win over BJ (if not better). Knocked out Burns who is one of the most dangerous BJJ practitioners at WW. The win over Masvidal is comparable to GSPs win over Condit as both opponents are the best strikers in the division.

Assuming he beats Masvidal and then defends against Leon or Colby, would he already be tied?

Its simple....more title defenses then GSP...

Hes done everything else he needs to...its just title defenses left and maybe a random crack at the MW title if someone beats Izzy

End thread

Usman could smash Ngannou, and people still would say GSP is GOAT.

Being likeable is a powerful thing.
Ummmmm, he's defended the title 3 TIMES!!!! People are so dismissive of GSP on this site, it's absurd. GSP absolutely destroyed everyone that stood across from him other than Hendricks, yet he still won. He endured major surgeries and injuries which caused him to miss a ton of time, again to come back a beat everyone. Being champion and defending it is WAAAAYYYY different than just winning fights. It's only bc Usman is beating everyone at the moment that we're talking about him in a GOAT discussion, which is ridiculous. OMG ANOTHER GOAT THREAD!!!!!

Ummmmm, he's defended the title 3 TIMES!!!! People are so dismissive of GSP on this site, it's absurd. GSP absolutely destroyed everyone that stood across from him other than Hendricks, yet he still won. He endured major surgeries and injuries which caused him to miss a ton of time, again to come back a beat everyone. Being champion and defending it is WAAAAYYYY different than just winning fights. It's only bc Usman is beating everyone at the moment that we're talking about him in a GOAT discussion, which is ridiculous. OMG ANOTHER GOAT THREAD!!!!!
Not sure what you read out of what i wrote there sherbro.

I was just saying that nobody likes Usman.

You know, every current champ at 170 is being compared to GSP which is a credit to GSP. But also, these guys need being compared to him need to wrap up their careers and let some time set in before we can really see how they stack up.

Easy hes got to catchup his title defenses 4 more i think he needs

No. I don't believe so. Usman needs to dominate two generations of welterweights as Champion like GSP did.

Back