what does it mean?

war path

White Belt
Reaction score
what does it mean when the instructor never shakes hands before or after a roll? is this tradition straight from brazil or something?

Odd?

Almost everyone shakes hands, bows, or slaps hands before and/or after the roll.

Dont know what else to tell ya.

Have NEVER heard of a Prof. showing such disrespect.

One time when I was a new 2 stripe white belt I forgot FORGOT to slap hands with a coach and he purposely rocked my shit for not showing the respect that was due to my teammates, instructors and academy. Were all friends, partners and integral to eachothers development from white belt to black belt.

I can't believe that an instructor would set that kind of example.

Very strange, everyone I've rolled with has made some sort of motion of respect.

Does he make any other kind of gesture towards you? At my gym we slap hands to show respect and that we're ready to begin rolling. It's a bit odd not only due to the lack of respect, but because that means he's just coming right at you without making sure you're both ready to go. Very strange behaviour for an instructor.

well i mean what happened? you extended your hand to shake / slap his and he just ignored it?

in my gym we all slap and fistbump before doing pretty much anything: partner warmups, drills, sparring. but maybe your gym just doesn't do any of it? if it isn't something the people at your gym do, then don't sweat it. it's not like you're missing out on anything. but if everyone does it and the instructor ignores it or he does it with everyone but you... then you got a problem.

Back