What does a typical wrestling practice look like?

cooltoon999

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I'm just wondering because the season is starting up in a couple weeks and i'm kind of nervous about what i'm going to expect. All my friends are telling me i'm going to die, or throw up every 10 minutes but no one has told me what we're going to be doing. This is my first year as a sophomore, so I know i'm going to be a disadvantage technique wise. What am I going to be looking at conditioning wise?

Depends on the school, but if you've been doing BJJ already your grappling cardio is already pretty good.

It might be a little more intense, competitive vibe, otherwise I'm sure you'll be just fine.

Depends on the school, but if you've been doing BJJ already your grappling cardio is already pretty good.

It might be a little more intense, competitive vibe, otherwise I'm sure you'll be just fine.

We're a div. 4A school in Iowa. Is there bad habits from BJJ i'd have picked up that won't transfer well to wrestling? Thanks for the advice.

I'm just wondering because the season is starting up in a couple weeks and i'm kind of nervous about what i'm going to expect. All my friends are telling me i'm going to die, or throw up every 10 minutes but no one has told me what we're going to be doing. This is my first year as a sophomore, so I know i'm going to be a disadvantage technique wise. What am I going to be looking at conditioning wise?

Wow same exact situation for me, i'm wrestling at 119 with all the freshmen though so hopefully it won't be as bad.

We're a div. 4A school in Iowa. Is there bad habits from BJJ i'd have picked up that won't transfer well to wrestling? Thanks for the advice.

Being content to go on your back when someone takes you down. That's about the only bad habit I notice when BJJ guys transfer to wrestling.

Being content to go on your back when someone takes you down. That's about the only bad habit I notice when BJJ guys transfer to wrestling.

Basically this. And understanding that your opponent will also not be content to "work the ground game".... Hell no. If you take them down, 9/10 they are trying to get back up immediately, so just because you got a takedown it's not time to relax and go into "ground mode". Attack, pressure, push and pin.

I'm more curious to see how your BJJ will integrate to help you be a better wrestler. Like throwing in a 1/2 butterfly in a scramble, ensuring you finish (*wink wink) your opponent from top. Not saying you should choke your opponent unconcsious with a head and arm when going for a pin, or when trying to work a front head and arm... but hey... .stuff happens :icon_chee

I'm just nervous because we haven't done takedowns in BJJ yet, so all I really know is pull guard/butt-scoot which I obviously won't use in wrestling :mad:

Lots and lots of conditioning, drilling, and going live. Pretty similar in structure to your average Jits class, but with more of an emphasis on conditioning.

Pre-season especially, they're going to want to whip you back into shape so you'll be doing alot of running, strength drills, etc.

This is what my practices usually look like

Hard warmup, followed by stretching

Get a partner, drill basics (double, single, high crotch) maybe even just work your duck unders and arm drags

After a little while of drilling, you will learn a different technique, or different way to do/set up a technique you already know, drill that for awhile

After that, drill situations for what you were doing earlier. If we were drilling say, double legs, i start in position for the double, when the whistle goes i try to finish the double you try to sprawl.

Live wrestling will be at the end, probably 20-30 mins left in the practice

Lots and lots of conditioning, drilling, and going live. Pretty similar in structure to your average Jits class, but with more of an emphasis on conditioning.

Pre-season especially, they're going to want to whip you back into shape so you'll be doing alot of running, strength drills, etc.

yes, for awhile you may just end up doing strength and conditioning to prevent injuries early in the season.

I'm just nervous because we haven't done takedowns in BJJ yet, so all I really know is pull guard/butt-scoot which I obviously won't use in wrestling :mad:

aaww man... I see you don't even READ the takedown threads.

I'm going to give you gold though.

The 2 on 1 is the only clinch position that gives you both a superior offensive and defensive position simultaneously with tons of shot, throw, and trip set ups.

No yokin.

My practices consisted of 10 min stretch 15-30 min conditioning 45 mins technique 15-30 mins live rolling. Usually in wrestling there is a lot less time spent on sparring because of the danger of injuries and it seemed like with spent a lot more time with strength and conditioning then on technique, so it structured differently then BJJ, but practices are usually the same length.

The 2 on 1 is the only clinch position that gives you both a superior offensive and defensive position simultaneously with tons of shot, throw, and trip set ups.

No yokin.

This is gold. If you get the tie up perfected then you can add in a takedown or 2 and next thing ya know, old Jed's a millionaire.

My practices consisted of 10 min stretch 15-30 min conditioning 45 mins technique 15-30 mins live rolling. Usually in wrestling there is a lot less time spent on sparring because of the danger of injuries and it seemed like with spent a lot more time with strength and conditioning then on technique, so it structured differently then BJJ, but practices are usually the same length.

did u wrestle at school or in a club?
i know at my club we spar alot

did u wrestle at school or in a club?
i know at my club we spar alot

yeah I was gonna say.... between iron man, round robbins, positional sparring, up down and out, and then free rolling...

TONS of sparring.

No yokin.

One of my favorite setup's is the underhook, outside step, elevate the arm, high crotch.

yeah I was gonna say.... between iron man, round robbins, positional sparring, up down and out, and then free rolling...

TONS of sparring.

it makes sense if its a school practice though.
much more injuries in highschool tourny's then just a club tourny.

One of my favorite setup's is the underhook, outside step, elevate the arm, high crotch.

the High C is super money. I started using the 2 on 1 to counter some of my more advanced (and frankly better) wrestling partners who were aces with the high c. Always having them worry about my confident overhook and working for my two on one the underhook is less effective. It's like having an underhook against a really good judoka. It's not that great of a place to be even though in wrestling technically it's better to have the underhook.

Back