What do you think would be the best gameplan to defeat Jon Jones ?

Best chance to beat Jones is to wait 5 years and fight him when he's close to being past prime. Maybe 35 he starts looking old. Then again if he goes to HW he'd be young for the division.

Funny thing is Jon could dominate for another 7 years LOL

This. Jones needs to be pressured. DC was doing a good job until getting kicked into oblivion.
Yup, a strong Jones opponent needs to have excellent dirty boxing and TDD, and be able to fight from a distance without getting teeped to death. Some kinda DC-Gus fusion may be able to get the job done.

fljiw6hhr5y11.gif

Something like that.

For real though i think Jones gets beat by someone who is not scared to pressure him,manages to avoid the eye pokes, gets him against the cage and uses dirty boxing ala Couture. Keep it brutal and dangerous on the inside and stay inside.

Of course that all sounds good but Jones has proven its so hard to execute.

I know y'all gonna bring the USADA jokes, but seriously, how would you approach fighting this man, what the f*ck would you do ? What do you think is the best way to somehow defeat this guy ? So far there's no holes in his game that fighters could try to exploit.

Every dominant champ showed some form of vulnerability to something at one point or another, he doesn't. He just gets in there and destroys people. There has to be a way.
You must be big like Tyson Fury and have great movement and defense just like Gustafson done in first fight

strong low leg kick.

Ankle lock / Knee bar attempt maybe?

attack those chicken legs imo.
I agree. Someone with Johnny Walker's frame could have a lot of success attacking Jon's legs with kicks.

I'm not so sure about the knee bar, because Jon's top control and GnP is scary, similar to Luke Rockhold. It'd be an enormous risk to fail and end up on the bottom.

Why do you think so? I used to think Stipe did also, but his lack of speed concerns me. I have a bad feeling Jones/Stipe goes similar to Jones/Gus 2, a fight I believe Jones won more than Gus lost the more I rewatch it.

Bladyes I don't rate his the standup game at all or indeed the mentality to ever be a good striker, I think he'd need to outwrestle Jones to win which is a tall order.

Ngannou is dangerous and could potentially egt an earlier KO but as we saw Stipe is better technically standing, a better grappler and indeed stronger mentally and cardio wise.

Rumble of course would be an interesting match, he'd definitely have a threat standing although obvious if Jones can get him down with time to work he'd probably done.

Last edited:
A Tank Abbott power punch to the head from the clinch.

Pressure, leg kicks and possibly wrestling.

Jones is in his Anderson Silva phase where guys are absolutely terrified of engaging with him. They are too busy worrying about what he's going to do instead of what they are going to do. I knew that Weidman was going to beat Silva because he had the tools (wrestling and good striking) to do it and wouldn't be intimidated like everyone else.

No one to this day has tried to wrestle Jones. Not even DC tried outside of one takedown. He just wanted to dirty box. Unfortnately, LHW is at its worst shape possibly ever and doesn't have any wrestlers.

The other strategy I think would work is someone throwing a ton of leg kicks like a Barboza or Gathje. Again though, no one in the LHW division has those skills.

The last one is pressure. As mentioned before, guys are too afraid to engage. Everyone has just been sitting back and waiting for Jones to come to them. Woodley had that going for him too until Usman showed no respect and marched him forward and stuck to him like glue. It's just going to take someone with balls that isn't afraid of Jones. Anthony Smith talked a good game and I thought maybe he would be the one but like the rest, he got starstruck and wouldn't engage.

I'd say someone with a sort of creativity, technical prowess and versatility to match him on the feet.

Problem Is, Jon has so many tools along with his range and mastery of distance..most fighters just don't seem to know what to do on the feet against him.

At the same time, Jon Is not unbeatable on the feet. He does have his holes and he makes mistakes. But, all the guys he's fighting or has ever fought have been one dimensional as strikers..They all pretty much do the exact same things.

Beyond that, It would need to be someone capable of either nullifying or making him work hard to wrestle you.

Such a fighter doesn't exist as it stands.

Good footwork, Fast Hands, Great Boxing, Body Punching.

Basically a 6'4" 230lb Jose Aldo is what you need.
boxing is not enough to beat Jones

It takes more than a one dimensional striker to overcome what Jones does on the feet.

strong low leg kick.

Ankle lock / Knee bar attempt maybe?

attack those chicken legs imo.
Agreed. The only strikes I would practice leading up to the fight would be calf kicks, and I would just pray to hurt him so bad he couldn't continue.

In theory find a fighter with the right strengths to offset Jones skills. That said, finding some with the physical size, crisp striking, great wrestling and a solid ground game, that can handle the unique style of Jones... I have no clue who does it. So honest, I'm almost at the point I say go for broke early

Meet him at the hotel bar the week before and give him some white powder

Out box him standing. Push his knees in like he does. Be first. Don’t over commit and get on top of him on the ground and choke his ass out.

Assuming its at LHW:

1. a LHW version of Khabib with unstoppable takedowns and control.
2. a LHW version of WEC Aldo with devastating low kicks and muay thai

Don’t be a pussy and just punch his face right off.

That’s the problem, I don’t think there is anybody that can do it right now. The thread isn’t about who could do it, but what gameplan would work the best. I don’t think playing the distance in and out game with Jones is the way to go, he’s so good at it and he’s even better at it now. That’s just playing his game. You gotta take him out of his game and stay in his face and not give him space.

I just think in and out is more likely to succeed than getting inside and dealing with his elbows/knees, but if someone is good enough at that, by all means.

Back