• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

What do you think the current state of boxing is right now?

What do you think the current state of boxing is right now?

• Total voters

Takes Two To Tango

The one who doesn't fall, doesn't stand up.
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Just curious to see what the boxing experts think of how boxing has evolved through the years/decades to what it is now.

4897.jpg

Canelo vs Charlo, Fury vs Usyk, Benavidez vs andrade, tank vs garcia, inoue vs fulton, Spence vs Crawford etc. Sounds very good to me. Could be even better, but i would say its a B+ year for boxing.

Lots if talent but it seems like little pop

The hw division is a good representative. Big names and big fights but it is so uneven 8n terms of talent. Canelo, inoue, tanks are talented but even their own eras are being wasted.

Canelo vs Charlo, Fury vs Usyk, Benavidez vs andrade, tank vs garcia, inoue vs fulton, Spence vs Crawford etc. Sounds very good to me. Could be even better, but i would say its a B+ year for boxing.
It’s doing ok. The talent pool is big but good luck getting those guys to fight each other on a regular basis. This year is an exception.
Lots if talent but it seems like little pop

The hw division is a good representative. Big names and big fights but it is so uneven 8n terms of talent. Canelo, inoue, tanks are talented but even their own eras are being wasted.

Thank you for your feedback.

it's ok plenty of good fights and talented boxers but it isn't the same as it was when I was growing up
ebbs and flows

it's ok plenty of good fights and talented boxers but it isn't the same as it was when I was growing up
ebbs and flows
There's next to no energy. No true tyson or Ali no decent promoters

There's next to no energy. No true tyson or Ali no decent promoters
well that is less boxing fault and more just a reflection of the modern world
everybody has there own subscriptions and YouTube
people don't all gather around and talk about the big fights (unless it has traction on yt)

plusodern guys get better treatment (a good thing for the fighters) but as a result we get less fights from them and a more business minded approach to the sport (bad for the viewers).

Ali and Tyson were huge stars that captovated the audience but there are still and have been stars that caught the public s attention
money may
pac
canelo
Oscar
Jones jr
klits
etc..

we are at the tail end of canelo and fury so we are waiting for another star to take the stage imo
bud is too old and picky
Davis maybe
if the world was just inoue would be a huge star but he is too foreign and small to be a huge star in the states

well that is less boxing fault and more just a reflection of the modern world
everybody has there own subscriptions and YouTube
people don't all gather around and talk about the big fights (unless it has traction on yt)

plusodern guys get better treatment (a good thing for the fighters) but as a result we get less fights from them and a more business minded approach to the sport (bad for the viewers).

Ali and Tyson were huge stars that captovated the audience but there are still and have been stars that caught the public s attention
money may
pac
canelo
Oscar
Jones jr
klits
etc..

we are at the tail end of canelo and fury so we are waiting for another star to take the stage imo
bud is too old and picky
Davis maybe
if the world was just inoue would be a huge star but he is too foreign and small to be a huge star in the states

There's a major problem. Canelo is at the tail end yet he never really took off as a star. Fury doesn't feel like one either, it's like they are just sitting on the spot. There's nothing particularly captivating about fury and he blatantly half asses the role.

Imagine if the rock was a boxer. That's the sort of energy we lack.

money may
pac
canelo
Oscar
Jones jr
klits
etc..

Did you really just compare the star power of Ali and Tyson during their prime to the Klitschko brothers? Oh come on, you're being ridiculous.

Boxing has just as much talent now as it always has had but there are too many belts, too many guys ducking each other, and too many guys cherry picking opponents while claiming to be the best ever. And worst of all, there hasn't been any significant starpower in the heavyweight division since Mike Tyson. All of those thing's contribute to the perception that boxing is in a sorry state right now.

Boxing is fucking dead
Funny because that is actually a lot more true of MMA in Japan, its former # 1 market & 3rd largest economy on the planet. All it took was the collapse of a promoter

Meanwhile Boxing has Inoue, Teraji, Ioka, Nakatani

Japan's Naoya Inoue destroys boxing stereotypes

Inoue floored Donaire with a right in the first round, and in the second destroyed him with a flurry of left hooks, with the referee calling the fight at the 1:24 mark. With the victory, Inoue became the first Japanese champion recognized by three of the world's four major sanctioning bodies for pro boxing -- the WBA, IBF and WBC.

Amazon's Prime Video streaming service broadcast the match live, attracting on the day the most views of all its programs -- including movies and drama -- and demonstrating that even a bantamweight bout can be a huge draw.

https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/Sports/Japan-s-Naoya-Inoue-destroys-boxing-stereotypes

Boxing's popularity & survival isn't tied to a promoter like MMA's is & people have been saying this "Boxing is dead" sh*t for over a 100 years

https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/...ng-boxing-is-dead-for-over-a-century.1668361/

Did you really just compare the star power of Ali and Tyson during their prime to the Klitschko brothers? Oh come on, you're being ridiculous.

Boxing has just as much talent now as it always has had but there are too many belts, too many guys ducking each other, and too many guys cherry picking opponents while claiming to be the best ever. And worst of all, there hasn't been any significant starpower in the heavyweight division since Mike Tyson. All of those thing's contribute to the perception that boxing is in a sorry state right now.
There is arguably more talent now

In the good old days people in Canada & US pine about, all of the communist bloc was kept out from the pro's & mob guys like Frankie Carbo ran Boxing

Since the collapse of the communist bloc we had Klitschko bro's, Beterbiev, Bivol, GGG, Usyk, Breidis, Kovalev etc. Today you have Janibek (160), Otabek (126) & potential HW talent in Jalolov, Dychko etc

Too bad Zhang is old, can only imagine what a young top 10 HW could have done for Boxing in the huge Chinese market

Inoue is taking Boxing to high's in the 3rd largest economy on the planet while Australia has Jai Opetaia, Tim Tszyu, Kambosos, Moloney bro's

Those who claim Boxing is dead or dying dksab

Funny because that is actually a lot more true of MMA in Japan, its former # 1 market & 3rd largest economy on the planet. All it took was the collapse of a promoter

Meanwhile Boxing has Inoue, Teraji, Ioka, Nakatani

Japan's Naoya Inoue destroys boxing stereotypes

Inoue floored Donaire with a right in the first round, and in the second destroyed him with a flurry of left hooks, with the referee calling the fight at the 1:24 mark. With the victory, Inoue became the first Japanese champion recognized by three of the world's four major sanctioning bodies for pro boxing -- the WBA, IBF and WBC.

Amazon's Prime Video streaming service broadcast the match live, attracting on the day the most views of all its programs -- including movies and drama -- and demonstrating that even a bantamweight bout can be a huge draw.

https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/Sports/Japan-s-Naoya-Inoue-destroys-boxing-stereotypes

Boxing's popularity & survival isn't tied to a promoter like MMA's is & people have been saying this "Boxing is dead" sh*t for over a 100 years

https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/...ng-boxing-is-dead-for-over-a-century.1668361/
Boxing has always done better than MMA in Japan, not a new thing. MMA has never been #1 even when I lived there in the heydays of Pride. Boxing was worldwide with Olympic respect MMA was a niche sport but was a fun circus.

Boxing has always done better than MMA in Japan, not a new thing. MMA has never been #1 even when I lived there in the heydays of Pride. Boxing was worldwide with Olympic respect MMA was a niche sport but was a fun circus.
I didn't mean that MMA was # 1 in Japan but the other way around

For MMA Japan was the largest market not so long ago & Pride FC still holds MMA records for gate numbers (70K iirc at some event) I believe. All it took was Pride's collapse & the sport came crashing down which doesn't seem to register at all to MMA fanboys who keep claiming "Boxing is dead/dying". Going by their IQ, they are proud to lose the third largest economy for the sport to gain Sweden (through Gustaffson) I suppose

Not great. Bad I'd even say. All the great Champs are past the peaks of their careers, we've lost HBO and Showtime boxing, and it seems like there are less than a handful of potential superstars.
I think we're in a current recession that will likely last a few more years before things get great again.

the number 1 combat sport is Sumo but apparently boxing pulls larger numbers just less frequently ... but idk if that's true either because I have heard only the bigsumo tournaments pull more

Boxing is dead. Just because it's been said for the last 100 years doesn't necessarily mean it isn't true. Scratch that. Boxing isn't dead but it is dying. Surely it's on its last leg by now because even cats don't have this many lives.

Back