What do you think of ITF taekwondo?

ijngf

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
How good do you think it is, comparing it with other standing combat sports?

Good ITF fighters are very tricky and dangerous. But the machine is not geared up to produce many of them. All the time spent on patterns, step sparring and ‘self defence’ is time wasted from the point of view of combat sport training. How much of the total training time that is will depend on the club, but most likely it’ll be 75% or more, unfortunately. Just one perspective.

Good ITF fighters are very tricky and dangerous. But the machine is not geared up to produce many of them. All the time spent on patterns, step sparring and ‘self defence’ is time wasted from the point of view of combat sport training. How much of the total training time that is will depend on the club, but most likely it’ll be 75% or more, unfortunately. Just one perspective.
Self defence?

Spinning shit and trash hands

I'd be interested in an elite taekwondo practitioner transferring over. Jade Jones made some noise about doing it at one point (2x Olympic champ) but I'm not sure if she's serious about it. If she did it'd presumably be after the Olympics next year at which point she'd still only be 28.

Terrible. With a lot of cross training they might become good strikers. Not everything they learn is useless, but a lot of it is. And they never learn to apply it in a setting where the match isn’t stopped each time a point is scored

It's the aikido of striking.
lkWrC5.gif

XUxkKTX.gif

RichEvilEuropeanfiresalamander-size_restricted.gif

Kicking someone in the face or body really hard actually works. Aikido doesn't have anything remotely close.

I'd be interested in an elite taekwondo practitioner transferring over. Jade Jones made some noise about doing it at one point (2x Olympic champ) but I'm not sure if she's serious about it. If she did it'd presumably be after the Olympics next year at which point she'd still only be 28.
Olympic gold + world championship gold + Euro championship gold + Euro games gold. She is a grand slam winner.

Terrible. With a lot of cross training they might become good strikers. Not everything they learn is useless, but a lot of it is. And they never learn to apply it in a setting where the match isn’t stopped each time a point is scored
ITF taekwondo uses continuous scoring system. There might be some variation but those are the official rules

All my time studying teakwondo was geared towards competitions, so you'd never learn or practice head punches as they are forbidden in competition.

So basically, you don't learn to fight, you learn to compete under teakwondo rules. So strictly speaking, it sucks as a combat sport.

That being said, you learn a lot of stuff that can be converted into combat sport. Mostly kicks.

All my time studying teakwondo was geared towards competitions, so you'd never learn or practice head punches as they are forbidden in competition.

So basically, you don't learn to fight, you learn to compete under teakwondo rules. So strictly speaking, it sucks as a combat sport.

That being said, you learn a lot of stuff that can be converted into combat sport. Mostly kicks.
Punches to the head are allowed in ITF. Not in full contact though

What is this doing in the MT & KB forum?

Should be in the standup forum.

Back