What do you think is the most dominant performance in a championship at black belt?

BJJArsenal

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
For me I think it's probably Rafael Mendes at Pans 2012, Marcelo at ADCC 2011, Rodolfo at the 2011 Mundials or Roger Gracie at 2005 ADCC.

Rafael at the Pans was ridiculous; completely on fire and would I be right in saying that no one scored a point on him? He capped off with a beautiful armbar on Cobrinha.

Marcelo at ADCC 2011, submitting every one besides Kron and managing to guillotine Victor Estima in 30 seconds was ridiculous.

Rodolfo's piece de resistance for me, showed his ridiculous ability and took both his weight and absolute.

Roger submits all of his opponents in both weight and absolute on the biggest grappling stage. What more could you ask from him?

Marcelo Garcia in his weight class, ADCC 2003. Nobody knew him, and he just go there, RNC Kunioku, dominates Renzo completly, RNC'ed Shaolin in less then 30 seconds (!), and in the finals, guess what, another RNC.

Roger's dominance in the last years in the mundials is pretty crazy. In fact, only Xande as been able to stop his momentum, with point victories of course, after Jacare retired from the BJJ international scene. Yet probably his most dominant performance was in the 2009 mundials. He simply beat all his opponents with cross lapel choke from the mount, winning both his weight class and absolute, and didn't even look that he was trying that hard.

PS: Also Arona in ADCC. Won all his matches, never had a point scored against him. However, he had like 1 victory from submission in like 14 matches, which should not be the purpose of a submission grappling competition

Last edited:
PS: Also Arona in ADCC. Won all his matches, never had a point scored against him. However, he had like 1 victory from submission in like 14 matches, which should not be the purpose of a submission grappling competition

Arona's a bit of a wildcard, but a good call nonetheless. But he most definitely out-grappled 14 top guys.

Didn't Marcelo go through Mundials last year without getting scored on? And finished every match?

Didn't Marcelo go through Mundials last year without getting scored on? And finished every match?

He didn't finish everybody, but I believe you're right that he didn't get scored on. I think he beat Calasans by sweep points, though I'm not sure.

Leo beat Calasans ADCC 2011, not Marcelo.

Listers 2011 heel hook supremacy run was pretty insane, nobody gave him a shot against Rodolfo.

But Marcelo's 2003 run was craziest, the no hooks RNC that put Shaolin unconscious is one of my favorite matches

I wish we could see Marcelo vs Rafael Mendes

Roger at ADCC 2005 and the 2009 mundials, ran through everyone like they were not even there

Oh, my bad. Leo's performance at ADCC was fairly impressive. An old man, moving up a weight class who would have probably won if he hadn't faced the Marcelo

Thoughts? this match interests me

i could see rafa wining by like an advantage or point. something really small.
MArcelo never gets finished by guys his weight or lighter. hes 181 and rafa is featherweight.
the only one to beat him at middle was terrere, i believe..

Roger in 2009-2010. Not possible to be any more dominant than that.

Oh, my bad. Leo's performance at ADCC was fairly impressive. An old man, moving up a weight class who would have probably won if he hadn't faced the Marcelo

His throw on JT Torres was sensational, and myself and the arena were out of our seats when he got the dying second back-take on Calasans.

theres no way rafa would ever finish marcelo... ever

Man, Have you seen how Rafa is grappling lately? He looks better every time. What he did to Beneil Dariush was ridiculous.

There is really no debate that it is Roger, finishing every single opponent with the same sub? how exactly can you be more dominant

There is really no debate that it is Roger, finishing every single opponent with the same sub? how exactly can you be more dominant

It depends, really. I'd say the middleweight and lightweight divisions are both more stacked than super-heavyweight and I generally think it's a fair shout to suggest that winning the absolute is easier if you're heavier. Not to take anything away from Roger, because his performances and ability is insane, and I'm not suggesting that he only wins the absolutes due to his size because that's obviously not why. However, to me, Rafael and Marcelo both have more stacked divisions - and my other suggestion of Rodolfo is purely because of how badly he tools former world champs and top contenders with absolute ease.

Marcelo submitting Victor Estima and Leo Vieira in less than 5 minutes combined as well as beating David Hart and Kron Gracie without having a point scored against him is just otherwordly to me.

Man, Have you seen how Rafa is grappling lately? He looks better every time. What he did to Beneil Dariush was ridiculous.

benny isnt marcelo. Rafa could prob win on 1 or two points, but no way is he subbing mg

Back