**what do u guys think?**

outcastkid

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
what do u guys think about boxing combine wit taekwondo?will it do any good?

because boxing is an art that focuses on the hands striking,the weaving and the bobbing while taekwondo focus on the legs striking plus fancy kicking(though its aint useful but it is stylish).

some of u might say there's kickboxing,sanshou so there's no need for a boxer to practice taekwondo they could just take some kickboxing,sanshou class to improve the boxer kicks.but i think its good for a boxer to practice taekwondo as u'll able to concentrate both on kicks and punches.

do u guys think a boxer that practices taekwondo will be better than a more than average kickboxer?

p.s:sorry for the bad english.

Its an interesting Idea, Boxing is the best thing period for punches and TKD focuses almost 100% on kicks apart from the odd body punch and learning the Koreon language.

I think you'd be on par with Kick/Thai Boxers combining Boxing and TKD, Because you'll have the advantage in the punching exchanges and be able to throw some suprising kicks at them and in general TKD fighters are more flexible than MT/KB in my experience.

The downside to it is that they will be dominate over you in the clinch.

I was thinking the same thing before but realised that it will be hard to "mix" the two styles. Your combinations may end up being horrible. Plus, you will have to work your ass off twice.

My suggestion is go to a Kickboxing/MT school.

thanks guys for answering.but i think i'll bump this thread to a point that i get enough feedback to ease my mind whether practicing boxing and taekwondo will have a slight edge over kickboxing.

anyway,icy blue its not i want to join/practice taekwondo.its just some sort of personal research whether mixing boxing and taekwondo will be effective.

anyway is there anyone that who practices boxing and taekwondo got successful in stand up fights?well other than Serkan Yilmaz as he practices taekwondo and kickboxing.

edit.

Last edited:
thanks guys for answering.but i think i'll bump this thread to a point that i get enough feedback to ease my mind whether practicing boxing and taekwondo will have a slight edge over kickboxing.

anyway,icy blue its not i want to join/practice taekwondo.its just some sort of personal research whether mixing boxing and taekwondo will be effective.

anyway is there anyone that who practices boxing and taekwondo got successful in stand up fights?well other than Serkan Yilmaz as he practices taekwondo and kickboxing.

Boxing is necessary for any fighter to learn regardless of discipline. Taekwondo is great for learning agility, dexterity, balance and accuracy with your kicks, since tkd kicks often are thrown using the ball of the foot vs MT you got your whole damn shin to use! I still believe that MT is the most effective form of kickboxing for fighting, due to the damage factor!

GSP- he trains boxing and tkd or karate or something like that....?

Why not take boxing and kickboxing? If he learns TKD, won't he have to un-learn how to kick in order to learn MT/Kickboxing use of shin? My instructors can always tell who's taken TKD/TMA.

do u guys think a boxer that practices taekwondo will be better than a more than average kickboxer?

I don't know about that. Boxing and TKD are two seperate arts. They won't teach you how to put together kicks and punches. Kickboxing teaches you how to mix in punches and kicks into combinations and how to counter punches kicks and counter kicks with punches.

If you want the closest thing to mixing boxing and tkd, then savate may be for you.

Check these fights out. First fight is Mighty Mo (K1 kickboxer) vs Kaoklai (Muay Thai), Kaoklai is one of my favorite MT fighters to watch, he is probably outweighed by 30+ pds..... Second fight is a classical example of MT power vs TKD speed..... Last one is Kaoklai again vs a very good TKD fighter who is also much heavier than him, this is just the first part the fight went the distance and Kaoklai won by decision

Muay Thai vs Kickboxing
http://youtube.com/watch?v=MwLx2Xv-Tdo

Muay Thai vs TKD
http://youtube.com/watch?v=CaVnwNaUBjM

MT vs TKD
http://youtube.com/watch?v=KDJlpLnbE00

Check these fights out. First fight is Mighty Mo (K1 kickboxer) vs Kaoklai (Muay Thai), Kaoklai is one of my favorite MT fighters to watch, he is probably outweighed by 30+ pds..... Second fight is a classical example of MT power vs TKD speed..... Last one is Kaoklai again vs a very good TKD fighter who is also much heavier than him, this is just the first part the fight went the distance and Kaoklai won by decision

Muay Thai vs Kickboxing
http://youtube.com/watch?v=MwLx2Xv-Tdo

Muay Thai vs TKD
http://youtube.com/watch?v=CaVnwNaUBjM

MT vs TKD
http://youtube.com/watch?v=KDJlpLnbE00

Lol that second fight is Changphuak Kiatsongrit though. Him fighting the TKD guy is like beating up on a kid. You see how he didn't even bother to block the sidekicks?!

Badass.

Hey Outcastkid, there's a guy at my gym who does TKD and boxing (we are MT and Sanshou, though I have also done TKD and boxing)

When he spars he does TKD fakes. He doesn't land very often against experienced opponents and I worry that when he gets into full speed/contact he'll get countered and knocked down, because TKD fakes and sparring combos are not really meant for full contact fighting where you really only care about getting kicked in the head, so a person kickboxing isn't going to bother with moving their hands down to block a low or body kick and is only moving their hands down to catch a kick. (Well they will block, but not TKD style. You'll notice when good MT guys drop a hand to catch a kick they ALWAYS still protect that side of the face with the other hand, in case they misjudged the low kick and their opponent was actually going for a high kick)

The problem is, TKD has sacrificed power for speed simply due to the fact that competition is point based. There's no reason for kicking powerfully in TKD - it's a waste of energy and TKD competition takes a LOT of peak performance.

Now one thing I want to try someday is the retreating Tornado kick, going backwards - I think nobody will see that coming :)

Lol that second fight is Changphuak Kiatsongrit though. Him fighting the TKD guy is like beating up on a kid. You see how he didn't even bother to block the sidekicks?!

Badass.

Kiatsongrit is one of my favs to watch. He treated alot of guys like that! His leg kicks make you cringe....... another fun fighter to watch Sakmongkol, elbows are ruthless, watch him dismantle Raymond Dekker with them!

These are my thoughts and my thoughts only. Okay, disclaimer aside, i will try and explain why this will NOT work.

Many people think that they can just mix this with that style and it will work. But this just isn't true at all. Bruce Lee found this out as well. That's why he researched styles and techniques with such a frenzy. He realized early on that certain styles and moves just won't work with others.

TKD is a point based system utilizing full contact kicks and limited punches. Punches to the face are not allowed but kicks are for example.

Because of the rules, TKD'ists cover there bodies with their arms (to hide the points) and fight in a sideways stance to further "hide the points" making it difficult for the opponent to land to the body, since kicking the back is illegal. The rules dictate the fighting style.

Boxing, on the other hand, has different set of rules, which means different fighting principles and concepts. Boxers don't need to worry about kicks. But DO have to worry about punches to the face. This means WAY more head, shoulder and body movement at close quarters. TKD'ists worry primarily about the opponents kicks which is why the tend to stand upright. making it harder to reach his head with the kicks.

I can go on and on. But hopefully you understand my point. The reason mixing TKD with Boxing wouldn't work well, is because you would have to CHANGE the method of each style. like trying to fit a round peg (TKD) in a square hole (Boxing). I'm not saying one is better than the other because they are both have their strengths and weaknesses.

I also agree with the savate recommendation that's a good one.

Because of the rules, TKD'ists cover there bodies with their arms (to hide the points) and fight in a sideways stance to further "hide the points" making it difficult for the opponent to land to the body, since kicking the back is illegal. The rules dictate the fighting style.

The problem is, TKD has sacrificed power for speed simply due to the fact that competition is point based. There's no reason for kicking powerfully in TKD - it's a waste of energy and TKD competition takes a LOT of peak performance.

There's a couple of misconceptions I need to clear up about true TKD. This iteration of Subpak commonly known as TKD is still pretty young. Because of this the rule's are constantly changing.

These days, Olympic style TKD allows for kicks to the back. This dramatically changes the game. Stances, tempo, fakes, etc. In addition to this, the whimpy kick taps that people consider essential to TKD are effectively dead now. You have to basically deflate their chest gear to get a point nowadays.

The problem is, like most imported martial arts, widespread TKD is watered down for essentially business purposes. Most people come for a simple workout, not full contact competition. For a dojang to be a successful business, it has to be awares and adjust the training accordingly.

I am lucky enough to be trained by a former Koran national champ who could care less about that little caveat. :icon_chee

Everyone is talking about clinch work. Boxing involves clinch work, though limited. If it was so easy to beat guys up in the clinch (specifically the double plumb/collar tie, commonly called the "thai" clinch) every pro MMA fighter would be doing it...

Back