What do I do when i'm in mount?

kramer733

Blue Belt
Reaction score
As a white belt while i'm sparring, sometimes i'll get mount but i remembered reading here that white belts shouldn't learn how to submit yet and just learn more about positioning. I've been doing jiu jitsu for atleast 2 years now (on and off) and have been following what people have said. To learn how to escape and position rather than submiting. Problem is, i can't submit for shit now. all i try is americana if that doesn't work, i just try to squish them more until they get out.

So what do i do? I'm kind of confused. Do i work on submissions now or just more defense? Should I not worry about submissions?

If you're in mount, try to submit them. Gi chokes and arm bars dude.

How about in other positions? If you are having problems with mount submissions, take side control, if the Americana is the only sub you know, then move around a lot and disguise your attempts. Although, admittedly, you probably want a bit more options under your belt.

Don't worry about being submitted, be aware of your base so that they can't reverse you.

Don't worry about being submitted, be aware of your base so that they can't reverse you.

haha well being submitted isn't a problem for me (it is.. but not in the context that i want to say it). It's just that i don't know what to do when i'm in mount. Do i try more submissions and be more risky or do i try to keep in more control and try to maintain mount ???

1) Control Position
2) Go for the americana
3) If he defends by turning on his side, armbar the other arm

EDIT: Pretty simple combo. Give up the sub if you feel off balance and try again.

Remember that when you've got him mounted he has to work to do anything. Take your time and let him wear out a little bit trying to defend and escape. If you work for a sub you don't have to get it. Just make sure he is working to defend. Eventually he will make a mistake and you can take your opportunity. Don't rush yourself.

Armbar, Americana, arm-triangle, mounted triangle, and gi-chokes are your major subs from there.

Be patient and learn gi chokes. People hate when you fuck with their necks. Thats what my instructor says. Play with their neck and they'll open up. Then get em with armbars or something else.

Work on maintaining the position and then going for the sub. If you cant stay on top just do top drills. But when you're going live go for a tap.

You have literally gone 2 years without doing submissions? For goodness sake start doing submissions.

Back