Media What did you make of the backflip that landed a shin to Potieras chin?

Backflip Pereira is what Johnny Walker always wanted to be. That being said, the Johnny Walker Era was full of excitement even though short-lived.

It's not a kick or a knee to a downed opponent. This is similar to Randy Couture vs Gabriel Gonzaga. Couture took Gonzaga down, but Gonzaga's head smashed off the octagon and Couture ended up headbutting him and shattering his nose. It wasn't an intentional headbutt, and therefore it gets classified as incidental contact.

As a side note, I call this fuck around and a find out. Play stupid games and win stupid prizes. This guy SHOULD HAVE immediately defended himself and tried to get back up. Yes, he likely would have gotten his back taken, but too bad. If you wanna flop around on your back like Ryan Hall, I hope the absolute worst bad luck for you. Same thing with wrestlers like that gutless coward Aljamain Sterling: Every fighter that gets stuck in the front headlock position and plays the fingers/palms on the ground game is a coward, and you get what you deserve if you get injured.

What point does it serve beyond looking cool? It's more likely to get the guy DQ'ed than accomplish anything meaningful fightwise.
Showmanship and an unpredictable element. Part of Pereira's game is being unorthodox and having no idea what he'll do next. Not everyone needs to be a robotic, textbook fighter.

All the hall monitors in here would have DQ'ed Mark Hunt when he landed his atomic butt drop.

It's not a kick or a knee to a downed opponent. This is similar to Randy Couture vs Gabriel Gonzaga. Couture took Gonzaga down, but Gonzaga's head smashed off the octagon and Couture ended up headbutting him and shattering his nose. It wasn't an intentional headbutt, and therefore it gets classified as incidental contact.
Good thing we've NEVER seen a fight paused after an incidental clash of heads.

My favorite part of a fight is, after every low blow, the ref determines how intentional it was before calling it a foul, because as we all know, fouls require intent now.

Do you people  watch this sport?

All the hall monitors in here would have DQ'ed Mark Hunt when he landed his atomic butt drop.
Well that wouldn't have been a foul, so

Landed on the clavicle, in between the neck and shoulder. Not a head strike
This. It amazes me how many people have bad eyes
Eyes
R0uLAjM.gif

The leg/knee is right along the jawline.
NzxWczH.png

Good thing we've NEVER seen a fight paused after an incidental clash of heads.

My favorite part of a fight is, after every low blow, the ref determines how intentional it was before calling it a foul, because as we all know, fouls require intent now.

Do you people  watch this sport?

Well that wouldn't have been a foul, so
Not all "incidental fouls" are truly incidental. For example, Jon Jones holding his fingers in front of an opponents face so they "poke their own eyes on his fingers" when they move forward is clearly a pattern. Even if there was no intent behind that specific foul, there is clearly a pattern of intent in the general strategy.

If a referee sees a fighter putting his forehead down and leaning into his opponent every time they come into close quarters, he may pause the fight and warn the fighter regardless. That general strategy can cause "unintentional" headbutts in which there is no intent for a specific headbutt, but there is a general intent to cause headbutts overall.

Referees aren't stupid. They generally understand when to let fights go, and when to pause the fight and warn for fouls. I just wish that fighters like Jon Jones would get more points taken away for an obvious pattern of fouls.

Would have been sad if he lost/NC'd because of that.. but at the same time, also hilarious.

It doesn't matter where he landed.
Wait for it..

Should be legal IMO.
There it is. "Should be." So it DOES matter where he landed. "Should" is not the argument on the table, but if it makes you feel better, sure, I kind of agree on what it should be. But what it IS is a foul

Don't flop around on your back like a Ryan Hall fish, and this won't happen to you.
This is just an appeal to change all rules against grounded opponents, and until those rules are changed, just a bunch of victim blaming for fouls happening.

"Don't fight with such a wide stance if you don't wanna get kicked in the balls. UFC 1 NEVER DIE!"

Not all "incidental fouls" are truly incidental. For example, Jon Jones holding his fingers in front of an opponents face so they "poke their own eyes on his fingers" when they move forward is clearly a pattern. Even if there was no intent behind that specific foul, there is clearly a pattern of intent in the general strategy.
That is why intent becomes the territory of point deductions and DQ's. But it doesn't make NON-Jones eye pokes suddenly NOT fouls.

If a referee sees a fighter putting his forehead down and leaning into his opponent every time they come into close quarters, he may pause the fight and warn the fighter regardless. That general strategy can cause "unintentional" headbutts in which there is no intent for a specific headbutt, but there is a general intent to cause headbutts overall.
And again, head clashes that are fully incidental and not aimed are still fouls. Are you just under the pretense that a "foul" implies a perpetrator, and therefore needs to be purposeful? Any illegal contact is a foul. It doesn't make the guy who did it a bad guy. Shit happens in fighting, but the guy who took an illegal hit should always be given the chance to clear up any doubt of the illegal hit having any effect.

Tainted supplements are fully a thing. Some fighters actually have pretty open and shut cases about a supplement that used to test fine, but independent testing of unopened containers show an illegal substance, in the same proportions of the fighter who popped, pretty much clearing any intent on their part. They still get their fights overturned and a minimum suspension, because the fight doesn't count because of the illegal effects on the fight, and the fighter is ultimately responsible for their actions

Referees aren't stupid. They generally understand when to let fights go, and when to pause the fight and warn for fouls. I just wish that fighters like Jon Jones would get more points taken away for an obvious pattern of fouls.
He absolutely should. Refs should frankly be more vocal about fouls, cuz it's tiring watching fighters get away with multiple fouls a fight and that is not helped when a legion of fans see a foul and go "Ah, let's let this one go. He did a funny backflip."

Last edited:
Eyes

The leg/knee is right along the jawline.
NzxWczH.png

Because he moved his head when Pereira was in the air. This is like JDS complaining about blows to the back of the head in the Gane fight. They were to the back of his head, but he was moving his head at the time so no foul.

Because he moved his head when Pereira was in the air. This is like JDS complaining about blows to the back of the head in the Gane fight. They were to the back of his head, but he was moving his head at the time so no foul.
"Moved his head" is an understanding of why a foul happened, not a green light for it to happen. People were arguing JDS didn't get hit in the back of the head at all and that's why the ref didn't call it (which I think it bullshit, it was pretty clear as day foul to me). Brundage turned his head 90 degrees and Malkoun was DQ'd for elbowing the back of his head, instead of the side where he was aiming. Erick Silva and his opponent were in a full scramble when he got DQ'd.

I mean, think of any other foul and whether the opponent moving makes it not a foul. It's just not the case. It SHOULD make it nearly impossible to deduct a point or DQ, because we know the illegal contact was unintentional and negligent at best, but it's still illegal contact and calls for ref intervention.

Back