What democracy truly means...

Its been bastardized, so far from a meritocracy, simply worker bees for the elite. Imagine having respect for elected officials? Novel eh!

You prefer nepotism to merit?

I've gotten everything important that I have thanks to nepotism.

It's alright.

I'm just a regular guy that knows some people not an influencial politician though, so I don't matter in the grand scheme of things.

<Fedor23>

Last edited:
When has democracy ever been about meritocracy?

Democracy is about equal opportunity for everybody. Which is pretty much the opposite of a meritocracy.

Equal opportunity for everybody is precisely the starting point for a meritocracy.

A mandated equality of result would be what takes meritocracy out of the picture.

Equal opportunity for everybody is precisely the starting point for a meritocracy.

A mandated equality of result would be what takes meritocracy out of the picture.

Well, in a true meritocracy, as your merit increases so to wouldn't your opportunities? So very quickly, "equal opportunity for everybody" would become a lie anyways as the rich get richer.

At the end of the day, any system that doesn't artificially hold people back, the rich are going to get richer faster and have more opportunities available.

So equal opportunity for all is pretty much impossible I guess, unless what, you put ceilings on things? Limit what people can do/earn. I don't know man.

Sure, equal opportunity is the starting point.
But then ability & effort (ie, merit) rapidly move everyone away from equal status.

As the man says, democracy, sadly, overvalues the retarded.

Their votes count exactly the same as the educated & intelligent.

Agree.... sadly

Still better than anything else tho.

Also WR incoming
It's arguable, there's no proof that it's really sustainable in the long run. The us is the world's longest running democracy and it's already showing signs of collapse

Democracy is brand new and it’s the best system we had pre-computer algorithms. We might be on the verge of something better now though.

From the Magna Carta forward Democracy has been a side effect of wealthy individuals finding ways to defend their own interests against some other central power (without war)

It’s just that wealth eventually spread and people could collect enough of it to defend their interests too, adding political power to non-elite classes. The stronger the classes, the more weight they exert on Democratic policy making.

The current system is just bastions of collected wealth leaning against each other, pushing and pulling.

A.I. might help us design a better system.

Last edited:
Computers are only as smart as the people who design them. Or some shit lol

lol well think about it, if they’re as smart as the people who design them, and not *the one person who designed them* then they are at least as bright as a room full of A+ students

lol well think about it, if they’re as smart as the people who design them, and not *the one person who designed them* then they are at least as bright as a room full of A+ students

Yeah a room ful of A+ students who never touched a tittie

Democracy is and should be flexible, but democracy for the sake of integrity's sake is foolish and dangerous.
It's a means to stability, not the stability itself. When people figure this out they can either do great things, or absolutely astonishingly evil things.

We need term limits at every level. No more 25-year 'career politicians'. Running for elections should not be a career.

Back