What are you reading? Sci-fi/fantasy edition

Can anyone suggest some good authors that are in the vein of Palahniuk and Mark Danielewski?

Finished up The Blade Itself.

61QA2ffwWlL.jpg

Really enjoyed the book, found myself laughing out loud on more than one occasion. Loved Gloktas inner monolog and him always worrying about falling down or ending up dead in a river. Through the majority of the book I found myself wondering how Logen had made it as far as he did. He was certainly a capable warrior, with lots of battlefield smarts, but still took a lot of damage and seemed to end up on the lucky side of the coin on a few occasions that he could have easily ended up back in the mud. Then when all seemed lost and I thought Bayaz would come to save the day, The Bloody Nine took the drivers seat and he went beast mode, and it all made sense. I read that part 3 times it was so satisfying.

For the first book in a trilogy, I thought it would end with a little more resolution, but it seems to be written as one complete story rather than a large over arching story with 3 parts. I would have been pissed if would have had to wait on the follow up material, but I'm a little late to the part on this series so was able to pick up the rest of the trilogy and making my way into Before They Are Hanged.
The first reveal of The Bloody Nine is my favourite thing Abercrombie has written, I love how you find yourself questioning why he has such a reputation and how he’s lived so long, then it all makes sense...

The first reveal of The Bloody Nine is my favourite thing Abercrombie has written, I love how you find yourself questioning why he has such a reputation and how he’s lived so long, then it all makes sense...
I'd love to see some back story on the bloody nine, if he and logen are the same person or if he's a spirit of some sort that runs through him. One of my favourite characters ever

I have been reading through the Solomon Kane stories. They are short reads but great little pulps.

I've been listening to the Lord of the Rings BBC radio broadcast and also the Hobbit.

I'd love to see some back story on the bloody nine, if he and logen are the same person or if he's a spirit of some sort that runs through him. One of my favourite characters ever

there is a lot of speculation...or some....that logen is somehow connected to that little spoken of brother of juvens, bedesh. granted the gift of speaking with spirits by euz. have you read:

13521459.jpg

Just finished up The Waste Lands, book 3 of The Dark Tower.

I've heard from a few people, that this was their favorite in the series and I totally see why after finishing. The scene when they pulled Jake to Mid-World was crazy intense. After the ending and reading the synopsis of The Wizard and Glass and how it ties in with
The Stand and Randall Flagg
, really excited for the rest of the series.

I'm probably about a month out from the library so will finish up the last book in The Three Body Problem trilogy, Death's End. Really excited to see where the last book goes in the series. It could have ended with book 2, but I'm really glad there is another book and I'm excited to see what's introduced.

I took a break from Malaza but may get back into it. Think the Bonehunters is next. big commitment though.

I've recently read Seamus Heaney's translation of Beowulf, which is the oldest written story from England and a huge influence on JRR Tolkein and therefore most modern fantasy. For those who don't know it's basically a medieval badass fighting a series of monsters.

I was a bit wary as it a verse translation and I don't generally like poetry but it is very readable.

Finished this which was excellent.
kingsofthewyld_9780316362474_tp_f2.jpg

Now working my way through Red Rising after seeing a recommendation on here.

brown-redrising_600x.jpg

Finished this which was excellent.
kingsofthewyld_9780316362474_tp_f2.jpg

Now working my way through Red Rising after seeing a recommendation on here.

brown-redrising_600x.jpg

Enjoy. You won't regret it. Depending on how long 4 books takes you to read, book 5 Dark Age hits February 2019. Red rising is a trilogy so you get a conclusion to the story, but it continues on in book 4.

Reading Forever Peace and boy is it boring as fuck. Forever War is one of my favorite books and this one is just awful

Im reading an old X Files paperback i found called Ruins, pretty sweet, its about government covering up something found in Mayan ruins transmitting some kind of signal into space, thats as far as ive got, story is right up my alley with this whole Ancient Aliens/Graham Hancock thing going on.

Im reading an old X Files paperback i found called Ruins, pretty sweet, its about government covering up something found in Mayan ruins transmitting some kind of signal into space, thats as far as ive got, story is right up my alley with this whole Ancient Aliens/Graham Hancock thing going on.
damn i read that. waiting for a train for 12 hours, in some shithole country trainstation, found a copy and just went through it in a night. pretty good memories around it.

Finished off a ton of stuff since last posting in this thread.

Finished up The Three Body Problem trilogy. Loved the first 2 books. The puzzle was fantastic, so intricately woven, and really satisfying when the pieces started to fall into place. The last book was still great but the ending fell a little flat for me.

Everything leading up to the finale was so well thought out and carefully placed through the books, it felt like it was all for nothing when they just leapt millions of years into the future and try to hit reset switch. It just felt like everything built up to that point didn't matter.

Finished up the first 3 books in The Expanse series. These books have been fantastic. There are 9 books planned, that are meant to be broken into 3 trilogy arcs. Book 8 just came out, so the series is close to wrapping up. Took a break after the 3rd book to finish off a few other things, but going to start book 4 next.

Read all of the books in Peter Clines Threshold Universe series. Only 3 books out currently. The first one was good, but took a huge turn half way through the book with some pretty wild plot points. 2nd one was good and cleared up a lot of wild ideas from the first book. The 3rd book felt totally different and was a zombie book for the most part. There was a major plot point that reached back to the series, so looking forward to the follow up books to see how it all ties together. It was still good, but felt off. As a stand alone book it would have been fine, it was just a totally random turn from the previous books.

I'm about 1/4 of the way through the last book in The Dark Tower series. I've really been enjoying the series and how King has linked almost all of his other works to this series. I was slightly disappointed with
The Man in Black's fate. They had this cat and mouse thing going on through all of the books, was looking forward to an epic showdown, just to find out that he wasn't as powerful as you had thought, then he gets eaten by Mordred
. I don't think that will make the finale any less epic, it just threw me a curve ball.

Back