What are some great in-fight adjustments you’ve seen turn the tide of a fight?

Dillashaw vs Garbrandt I comes to mind. In the corner, after the first round, Ludwig told TJ to stop using punches to set up his high kick because Cody was reading it, and instead just lead with the kick. TJ proceeded to land the kick and finish the fight.

Pretty sure there were some other details to the adjustments he made after a terrible first round, several good breakdowns on youtube.
That’s a brilliant one! I remember that now. At the time, I thought that was strange advice because you’re supposed to set up your kicks generally. Worked out beautifully

Nothing specific is coming to mind, but I love when you can hear the corner's (often angry) advice, and the fighter *actually* implements the change in strategy immediately. I always consider fighters who can think/react/listen in the moment to be the most skilled and most dangerous. Conversely, fighters with low fight IQ, who don't listen to their corners or can't change-up a plan that isn't working drive me crazy.

I agree with the first half, but I don’t know if I can be mad at fighters for not being able to change their game plan.

I imagine training one thing for months might put you into a particular mindset that’s hard to override when you’re in the cage. Plus a game plan change usually occurs when you’re already being outclassed, so it might just be that it’s not possible or your opponent it just too good.

I agree with the first half, but I don’t know if I can be mad at fighters for not being able to change their game plan.

I imagine training one thing for months might put you into a particular mindset that’s hard to override when you’re in the cage. Plus a game plan change usually occurs when you’re already being outclassed, so it might just be that it’s not possible or your opponent it just too good.
As a life-long Nogueira fan, I can confidently tell you that rooting for a fighter that has low fight IQ leads to a dreary, dreary life ;)

And yeah, take what I said before with a grain of salt: I don't hold it against guys who really are trying, but are being out-classed. It's more the ones that have a versatile tool-set, but choose not to change it up or use it when they have to. (a classic example being a good grappler whose fallen in love with their striking, and doesn't shoot/tie it up when they start getting tagged. They know better.)

As a life-long Nogueira fan, I can confidently tell you that rooting for a fighter that has low fight IQ leads to a dreary, dreary life ;)

And yeah, take what I said before with a grain of salt: I don't hold it against guys who really are trying, but are being out-classed. It's more the ones that have a versatile tool-set, but choose not to change it up or use it when they have to. (a classic example being a good grappler whose fallen in love with their striking, and doesn't shoot/tie it up when they start getting tagged. They know better.)

Sadly I just missed out on Nogeuira’s prime. But I totally get it, I can remember how many times I yelled at Anderson to keep his hands up hahaha

Weidman vs Romero.

Romero hit Weidman with a flying knee. Chris stopped fighting, so it really changed the fight.

Evidence:

weidman-romero-KO.gif

I feel like Marlons decision to completely gas out after a round had more of an impact on his fight with CCC then anything.

Speaking of Conor, Mayweather made some amazing adjustments against him. In the first round Mayweather was fighting from the outside and got countered with an uppercut. He then completely switched strategies to one where he just walked forward with his guard up drawing shots and throwing power shots when he got close, which Conor was not prepared for.

Conor is never prepared for opponent's attack.

Floyd Mayweather.

Conor was killing him and beating him from one end of the ring to another then Floyd made a game changing adjustment:

he punched!
It was over soon after in the biggest combat sport event of this generation.

They are talking about in-game adjustments that they didn't prepare for and had to adjust to on the spot. Dustin and his boxing coach prepared to counter that lead uppercut combo, Conor's 1-2, and pull counters. It's just harder to counter when Conor is fresh and still has his speed, timing, power. Dustin started catching Conor when he slowed down after the clinch fighting.

The list in the original post is pretty spot on, not many fighters/trainers/coaches can make adjustments on the spot in real time. Most have a certain game plan they worked on prefight that they stick to win or lose.

I don’t actually think this is the case. If I recall correctly, Dustin tried to counter the first time but was long on his hook. He shortened it, and that is why he succeeded subsequently. It’s not as big an adjustment as a complete change in strategy, but sometimes it is the small things that matter.

Also if you liked the Miocic adjustment, well I’m sure he also trained body shots with his coaches.

Last edited:
Weidman vs Romero.

Romero hit Weidman with a flying knee. Chris stopped fighting, so it really changed the fight.

Evidence:

weidman-romero-KO.gif
I saw the fight, but I don't remember seeing that gif. I wonder how much damage the second (illegal) knee did. It was not only to a grounded opponent, but also to the back of the head.

The Stipe/DC one was hilarious. Not only highlighting how horrible DCs defense always was specially to body strikes (which Barnett, Murr and even Anderson exposed) but the fact that Stipe just kept spamming the same hook over and over with weak setups like it was a UFC game and it worked and got DC finished <Lmaoo>

Anderson moving to grapple Hendo then choking him out after losing the first round.

3rd round Romero. He's usually down on the cards and looking gassed, then he just times & catches his opponent with something brutal and clobbers him senseless.

Don't think Miocic was an in fight adjustment.

He hit DC with a body shot, saw that it hurt him and kept at it. It's not like he wss just head hunting, missing all of them, and decided to go to the body.

I don’t actually think this is the case. If I recall correctly, Dustin tried to counter the first time but was long on his hook. He shortened it, and that is why he succeeded subsequently. It’s not as big an adjustment as a complete change in strategy, but sometimes it is the small things that matter.

Also if you liked the Miocic adjustment, well I’m sure he also trained body shots with his coaches.
I think Dustin and his boxing trainer specifically worked to counter certain punches from Conor. He had the perfect read on them and to me it was obvious he practiced for those specific combos/punches.

Stipe definitely worked on body shots in training, but he switched to a body shots focused attack during the fight once he adjusted to the way DC was fighting in the fight. Just like Mayweather and Bud Crawford, they have many styles of fighting and they adjust multiple times in a fight depending on what their opponent is doing in the fight.

Back