• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

What are some boomer MMA takes that you would still defend as true?

Do you really consider Anderson a Pride fighter? He only had 5 fights in Pride and went 3 and 2. Maybe he just hit his stride in the UFC. I cant see any of the people who beat him in Pride coming into the UFC and doing anything.
What's the minimum requirement to be a Pride fighter?

Sakuraba fought in the UFC for one night and he's in the UFC hall of fame.

My fellow aged ones who actually watched MMA before Conor McGregor, what are some boomer hills you are willing to die on?

- Prime Fedor would have beaten Francis.

- Matt Hughes would decision Usman.

- Prime BJ was the LW GOAT.
No, no, and no. The sport and its athletes evolve.

The sport was a lot more exciting and something to look forward too when there wasn't 20 watered down events every month.

Here are my not-so-hot-takes

Royce Gracie was sheltered. Even in his era, Oleg Taktarov would have submitted him. Matt Hughes could've broken his arm and ended the fight, but didn't want to technically submit the legend.

Anderson Silva threw the fight vs. Ryo Chonan. Mark Coleman and Takada was also fixed. Taktarov vs. Macias was fixed to get Taktarov ahead in the tournament without taking damage. I don't think Taktarov was in on the fix based on his reaction.

Michael Bisping was the most well-rounded UFC-ready fighter to appear on early seasons of TUF.

Fedor was the best HW of his era, but his record was heavily padded with guys who had no business being in the ring with him.

Pride Fc was a better organization then UFC 20 years ago.

Michael Bisping is the most underrated fighter to ever step foot in the UFC & has always been a bad matchup for Anderson Silva

Edit : Sandhagabs wrestling isn't good at all.

There really aren't any boomer takes, just Gen X and elder millenial takes. As an elder millenial (is that actually a thing or am I pulling that out of thin air?), I can say that the UFC ruleset was way better when knees on the ground and 12-6 elbows were still allowed. The fighters were way worse but as a JBG disciple I'd love to see them brought back.

And Pride was freakin' amazing once it found its legs. Go check out the first 5 Prides and be amazed how long and shitty some of those fights were, kids.

Back