What are good ways to takedown from knees?

CANARV702

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm finding it difficult when rolling since we start on our knees; any help would be appreciated.

I just push into my opponent. If he really doesn't want to sit into guard, than I just pull guard. No big deal.

If you really want to be on top and he has one foot posted just grab the foot with one hand and grab his head/collar with the other. Pull the foot, push the collar, and jump up. (that's an ankle pick)

If he has both knees on the ground than grab a collar and grab a sleeve. Push the collar, pull the sleeve, turn your body HARD towards the direction of your push and post your foot behind him to sweep him over. (that's osoto gari/osoto gaeshi )

Or if he is resistant to all of that you can steady push into him and when he pushes back just pull butterfly guard and sweep imediately.

I think midget judo is a waste of sparring time so I wouldn't try to hard with any of these, but even though you don't use these at the beginning of a roll it is still useful for when your opponent pops up from turtle or half guard.

Without standing up? Rolling tosses are your best bet (from a wrestler's standpoint). Grab on tight, remove their roll impediments (arm, leg, head), and put them on their back. Step 2 is key, if you leave them an opportunity to stop the roll they will try.

Techniques really depend on how tall you are in comparison to the person you're rolling with. In general, taller is better for this kind of thing, and you'll have a better chance of landing in a dominant position.

good ol fashioned arm drags work for me more often than not.

I don't know the physics behind it, but I've been having good luck lately (maybe that's all it is) with a fireman's carry in no gi.

I always get caught in this by this one guy.

I start to fight for grips, he waits and he just holds on to one of my slves with both hands...And all of a sudden with a burst of all his energy, he pulls my arm down at a 45 degree angle to the side of him and I have to post with the other hand to keep falling, but at that point he is already on me like glue....

yea I'd say arm drags, or control the back of his neck and then his body from close in

Just hit them with a trashcan.
f2a25053d307a210512592ea243bea82.jpg

10ff4459defc7facbd3cf868dc884cd0.jpg

Seems to work pretty well.

If the person stands up on one leg you can always do a sort of single leg. The arm drag is always there of course, on top of pulling guard. I sometimes do this sort of judo trip thing where I put a hand in the collar and grab the sleeve, step across the person with my leg and trip them over. You basically land right in side control.

I'm not a huge Eddie Bravo fan but one nugget of truth I did learn from him is that fighting from your knees is a huge waste. In summation, wrestling from your knee's doesn't replicate positions you experience in real life or in competition. Also, the bigger guy usually wins when two players start from their knees. That's why bigger guys don't develop a great guard b/c they push their way on top and are hard to sweep. You should instantly play butterfly or open guard, work your arm drags. Be on bottom, if you get on top earn it with a sweep...

I thought that was some really good advice that I began using.

I agree with prez, and not just bc I train at 10p but more bc I used to wrestle, and it's always "get off your knees" when it comes to takedowns. And just about everything else.

I'm not a huge Eddie Bravo fan but one nugget of truth I did learn from him is that fighting from your knees is a huge waste. In summation, wrestling from your knee's doesn't replicate positions you experience in real life or in competition. Also, the bigger guy usually wins when two players start from their knees. That's why bigger guys don't develop a great guard b/c they push their way on top and are hard to sweep. You should instantly play butterfly or open guard, work your arm drags. Be on bottom, if you get on top earn it with a sweep...

I thought that was some really good advice that I began using.

read the question instead of just saying what you want. he's not asking what is preferable but for advice from a position his entire school probably starts at before rolling.

read the question instead of just saying what you want. he's not asking what is preferable but for advice from a position his entire school probably starts at before rolling.

He did answer the question.
Instead of trying to wrestle takedowns from the knees, develop a guard game and get the sweep.
Seemed pretty straight forward to me.

He is right, wrestling from your knees is always useless.
In what universe would it ever be applicable?

I don't even bother. If the guy wants to be Mark Coleman from the knees, I just pull guard. That, or trying to trip him to the side, especially if he's on one leg. I don't get what's the point of trying to take people down from the knees like crazy, and I've been injured due to this kind of jackassery.

pretty much anything you do from standing you can do to a degree from the knees exception being hip throws and a couple other that should be obvious. Pull down on their head when they pull back shoot in for the double or single, fight for the underhooks, arm drag, go to guard use your imagination and don't let the fact you are on your knees limit your mobility or creativity.

He is right, wrestling from your knees is always useless.
In what universe would it ever be applicable?

:rolleyes:

I think midget judo is a waste of sparring time so I wouldn't try to hard with any of these, but even though you don't use these at the beginning of a roll it is still useful for when your opponent pops up from turtle or half guard.

I tend to just go for an arm drag. An ankle pick is nice if they go for more of a crouched stance. Umm pulling guard is decent or if you can get a hold of their collar and arm without putting yourself way off balance it will work too.

Who added more to the thread me or you? :rolleyes:

Look, I train at a gym that starts rolling from your knees too. However, it doesn't mean you have to. My instructor has never devoted any time to teach takedown's from your knees during the technique portion of class. I doubt their are any instructional that teach take down's from this position and I doubt that any instructor gives much thought to this position. It's not a practical position b/c it's not representative of sport BJJ, MMA, or self-defense. From your knees anyone who is bigger, stronger than you can bull you over. Usually, creating an advantage for them. So why play that game? If I'm playing open guard or butterfly at least I have a greater chance of creating advantages for myself. This is all just my opinion. Please tell me if I'm wrong here. I typically find that off of your knees skill and technique don't matter as much as size/strength.

I don't feel that starting from the knees has nothing to offer. I just look at it as a start from a scramble.

Like one of the guys said... if you're having trouble out-wrestling someone, pull a bottom position. I've found that top-game players tend to hate to be put off balance. Use butterfly or deep-half or even just pull closed guard. If they're bigger and stronger, long-distance half or spider might be good to pull.

Regardless of where you start, you're going to end up somewhere. Be ready for wherever you land. And if you really want to work top-game and can't take them down, get good at your sweeps.

I'm finding it difficult when rolling since we start on our knees; any help would be appreciated.

What if you quickly jump up when he's not expecting it?

Last edited:
Back