What are good extra curricular activities to do to help learn a second language?

youandme

All on the DL.
@Brown
Reaction score
I'm going to university in Quebec, I've lived here for almost a year now and I would like to do a few extra curricular activities while I'm in school. Preferably stuff that doesn't cost anything, I'm already on a budget. Trying to improve my French.

I was thinking stuff like floor hockey, recreational sports, things that aren't too advanced. Or a book club or something, basically, something that will get me surrounded by people a couple times a week to help.

Any tips?

I'm going to university in Quebec, I've lived here for almost a year now and I would like to do a few extra curricular activities while I'm in school. Preferably stuff that doesn't cost anything, I'm already on a budget. Trying to improve my French.

I was thinking stuff like floor hockey, recreational sports, things that aren't too advanced. Or a book club or something, basically, something that will get me surrounded by people a couple times a week to help.

Any tips?

Date Quebecois chicks. They'll learn you good en Francais. Also, use the French version of websites if available, that will force you to get better at it.

I learnt English by watching movies. There's like 3 French movies that I would recommend, so it could get boring.

Date Quebecois chicks. They'll learn you good en Francais. Also, use the French version of websites if available, that will force you to get better at it.

As long as you smoke, this.

Get a french GF.

Immerse yourself in french media.

You play games? Play the french version.

You watch movies? Watch the french version with subtitles.

etc

Devote a short amount of time everyday to just review things you recently learned. Only take 30min/1hour. Revision is important for long-term memory.

And most importantly be consistent and don't give up!

Watch TV, surf the web, play video games...

Then again, English is my second language.

Start running away from fights and surrendering your dignity. The French language will just come natural at that point.

Does anyone have any recommendations for where to acquire films that are dubbed in a foreign language? I've often thought this would be a good way to pick up on languages, particularly if it is a movie you know well and can know what the people are saying when they are speaking.

Start running away from fights and surrendering your dignity. The French language will just come natural at that point.

I thought that was mostly a french thing, not french-canadian?

The french-canadian people I know and meet hate the french with a passion.

I study with radio, Rosetta Stone, and misc resources every day for about an hour.

French girlfriend is not in the equation given my status ATM.

Thanks for the input fellers. I'll try to find a book club on campus or something. They'll be reading Proust, I'll be content with Spot Goes To The Farm.

I forgot: train with GSP at Tristar. At the very least you'll learn heavily accented English and wicked double legs.

take a language class....

Does anyone have any recommendations for where to acquire films that are dubbed in a foreign language? I've often thought this would be a good way to pick up on languages, particularly if it is a movie you know well and can know what the people are saying when they are speaking.

you might as well check your favorite dvd's and see if they have french dubbing audio tracks. Besides that, you can torrent just about anything these days.

Going out with a Quebecois would be the fastest and best way to do it. Unless she speaks english to you all the time. Also, it's important to realize that Quebec French isn't the same as France French.

you might as well check your favorite dvd's and see if they have french dubbing audio tracks. Besides that, you can torrent just about anything these days.

Going out with a Quebecois would be the fastest and best way to do it. Unless she speaks english to you all the time. Also, it's important to realize that Quebec French isn't the same as France French.

Oh I'm not trying to learn French, been working on Portuguese and haven't found any movies with that as a viewing option.

i would go the route of movies after reading / class.
if movies with subtitles arent really an option (for whatever reason)....

you could watch free movies on free websites. all the movies tend to be of the same genre and the subtitles arent really all that important.

live in a foreign country for a few years without the help of translators. my buddy decided to move to china a few years ago and no one has heard from him since. we assume he speaks fluent mandarin and isn't dead.

Any tips?

Where in Quebec do you go to school?

I would suggest watching the simpsons in french, it's dubbed in Quebec so you'll learn how people speak here instead of how they speak in France.

Most people will want to help you with French and it will get you a long way with pretty much everyone so whatever activity you can find should help. I wouldn't recommand fast paced sports as they won't allow much conversation.

Back