what am i missing here? (half guard pass)

vern_Fonk

Orange Belt
Reaction score
ok i know i am missing a crucial step when i do this half guard pass because i keep getting reversed. basically, well its very basic. you see it all the time in MMA and no go competition. when someone has half guard on your say, right leg you:

underhook on his left side (so your right)
head down on the left side (so his right)
base out with your left hand, use your left leg to pry his legs as you slide your leg out and raise your ass into the air. afterwards when your leg is free enough, knee slide out to your left side or his right side or pass straight to mount.

but, i keep getting reversed whenever someone places his hand on my waist and just pushing me off. how do i counter this? thanks.

Instead of basing out with your left hand, use it to control his right arm at the wrist or elbow.
You should be using your own head for base not your hand.

When they block your pass by pushing on your hip, if you break free of his legs, switch your hips to kill his hand, then switch em back

Here is whta I like to do

If my right leg is trapped:

I underhook his left arm

I place my head on the right side of his head and post head on the floor

overhook/wrap right arm

Post out with my left leg

Wiggle my right leg out-up to my knee

Turn my hips to my left to finally pull my leg out

Take side control

I hope that makes sense

When they block your pass by pushing on your hip, if you break free of his legs, switch your hips to kill his hand, then switch em back

Yes! The smoother I became at switching my hips back and forth, the more my guard passes improved. I was having that same problem with guys creating room in their half guard.

thanks for the link! very resourceful!
i just realized that I am an idiot, and just answered my own question through much pondering: to prevent his hand from pushing off my waist, bucking and flipping me over, all i have to do is...

whizzer it. over hook on one side, under hook on his other and hes all tied up and my legs are free to push and pry.

Back