What albums are you listening to?

Hellowhosthat

Chief Shara Bullet fanboy
@plutonium
Reaction score
Just to talk about albums rather than post individual tracks, not sure many will be interested, but we'll see.

Mogwai-come-on-die-young-cover.jpg

Mogwai - Come on die young (1999)

Forgot how good the second half of this album is, the first half is pretty good post rock, but the second half contains May nothing but happiness come through your door, Ex-Cowboy and Christmas Steps which are some of the most life affirming post rock tracks going.

Kyuss_Wretch.jpg

Kyuss - Wretch (1991)

Decided to give this another chance. It's still highly disappointing and not a good indicator at all of what this band would go on to be. Avoid and listen to Blues for the red sun instead.

Oceanrain.jpg

Echo & The Bunnymen - Ocean Rain (1984)

Eh, I want to like this album a lot more than I do. I'm a big fan of post rock bands, but this album just isn't very interesting to me. There's nothing particularly wrong with it and some of the songs are alright, I just didn't want to listen to it more than a couple of times.

Silentalarmcover.jpg

Bloc Party - Silent Alarm (2005)

This one hasn't aged very well for me, I saw them live and had fun back in the day, but on record it doesn't seem like it can decide what it wants to be.

e7a86d7b.jpg

Elliott Smith - From a basement on a hill (2004)

Posthumous Smith album. A lot of Smith fans don't like this one because it adds too many musical layers to Elliott's usually stripped down stuff, but I still like it.

D%C3%A4lek_-_Absence.jpg

Dalek - Absence (2005)

One of the hardest rap albums in existence. More metal than any nu-metal I've ever heard. Some of the more politically motivated stuff sounds very relevant with current US affairs.

Can_-_Tago_Mago.jpg

Can - Tago Mago (1971)

These guys are some of the greatest musicians ever and this remains one of my all time GOAT albums. The vibe they get into on Halleluhwah is insane and to be followed so closely by the utter madness of Aumgn is crazy. Essential listening, imo.

Allman Brothers - Beginnings

Marcus King - El Dorado

Circus Maximus - 1st Chapter

Lost Horizon - A Flame To the Ground Beneath

a4058387488_16.jpg

Palm Reader - Bad Weather
Probably my favourite band at the moment, and this is their debut album. I only bought it recently and I'm not sure it's my favourite of theirs (that would be 'Beside The Ones We Love') but it's growing on me more and more each time I listen to it.

a0709273986_10.jpg

The Ditch & The Delta - Self Titled
Just discovered these guys recently and this album has blown me away. The riffs are fucking HUGE and it’s far more creative and interesting than most other bands in the genre. Insane that they’re only a three piece.

a1719823953_16.jpg

The Hirsch Effekt - Kollaps
This is a German band I just discovered recently. They remind me of a cross between Arcane Roots, Dillinger Escape Plan and System of a Down….sung in German. Solid stuff.

Now that's a comprehensive playlist <DCWhoa>

I like QOTSA, Kyuss, Sabbath, Boris, Flower Travellin Band, Earthless, High on Fire, Baroness, Om, Electric Wizard, Sunn O))) and a few other bands on there, but loads of stuff for me to check out at some point.

Now that's a comprehensive playlist <DCWhoa>

I like QOTSA, Kyuss, Sabbath, Boris, Flower Travellin Band, Earthless, High on Fire, Baroness, Om, Electric Wizard, Sunn O))) and a few other bands on there, but loads of stuff for me to check out at some point.
We both have very similar tastes and I like every band you listed. Kyuss was my introduction to the whole genre back in 1998 then got into Sleep and Electric Wizard.

Yeah, the playlist just keeps growing as new albums are released and new bands are discovered by myself or others.

Nice was just looking for a thread like this. Right this second I'm listening to this oldie but goodie. Man I love this album

Since you guys are into doom you may like this band. Some really good stuff. From Louisiana

I'd suggest listening to Tyrant first if you don't feel like sitting through 'em all. I think I like that one best

Going through Machine Girls discography on YT and Spotify. Random suggestion. Love what I am hearing so far. Getting a Death Grips vibe from it.

Just to talk about albums rather than post individual tracks, not sure many will be interested, but we'll see.

Mogwai-come-on-die-young-cover.jpg

Mogwai - Come on die young (1999)

Forgot how good the second half of this album is, the first half is pretty good post rock, but the second half contains May nothing but happiness come through your door, Ex-Cowboy and Christmas Steps which are some of the most life affirming post rock tracks going.

Kyuss_Wretch.jpg

Kyuss - Wretch (1991)

Decided to give this another chance. It's still highly disappointing and not a good indicator at all of what this band would go on to be. Avoid and listen to Blues for the red sun instead.

Oceanrain.jpg

Echo & The Bunnymen - Ocean Rain (1984)

Eh, I want to like this album a lot more than I do. I'm a big fan of post rock bands, but this album just isn't very interesting to me. There's nothing particularly wrong with it and some of the songs are alright, I just didn't want to listen to it more than a couple of times.

Silentalarmcover.jpg

Bloc Party - Silent Alarm (2005)

This one hasn't aged very well for me, I saw them live and had fun back in the day, but on record it doesn't seem like it can decide what it wants to be.

e7a86d7b.jpg

Elliott Smith - From a basement on a hill (2004)

Posthumous Smith album. A lot of Smith fans don't like this one because it adds too many musical layers to Elliott's usually stripped down stuff, but I still like it.

D%C3%A4lek_-_Absence.jpg

Dalek - Absence (2005)

One of the hardest rap albums in existence. More metal than any nu-metal I've ever heard. Some of the more politically motivated stuff sounds very relevant with current US affairs.

Can_-_Tago_Mago.jpg

Can - Tago Mago (1971)

These guys are some of the greatest musicians ever and this remains one of my all time GOAT albums. The vibe they get into on Halleluhwah is insane and to be followed so closely by the utter madness of Aumgn is crazy. Essential listening, imo.
Wretch is an awesome record. My fave Kyuss album.

Fishmans - Long Season (1996) - ****1/2

Been listening to this a lot lately after been meaning to listen to it for ages as it sat intimidatingly high in my RYM recommendations. Thankfully it lives up to expectations. I'm not really sure how to describe it on a if you like ... you should listen to this, as I've never really heard anything like it. It's really a one track 35 minute trip, highly recommended.

51bCjX%2BYfAL._AC_SY355_.jpg

Donna Summer - A love trilogy (1976) - ***

Side A is the sprawling, peak Giorgio Moroder Try me, I know we can make it which is a wonderful track. Side B is nowhere near as good, but seeing as that track is like 18 minutes long, it still makes it a worthwhile record.

For the past few days

Dead Kennedys - Plastic Surgery Disasters
220px-Dead_Kennedys_-_Plastic_Surgery_Disasters_cover.jpg

Miles Davis - On the Corner
220px-Miles_Davis_On_The_Corner.jpg

Wilco - Ode to Joy
Wilco_-_Ode_to_Joy.jpg

The Roots - Phrenology
PhrenologyMediumRes.jpg

Lightning Bolt - Sonic Citadel
Lightning_Bolt_-_Sonic_Citadel.png

MC5 - Kick Out the Jams
MC5_-_Kick_Out_the_Jams.jpg

SLIFT - Ummon
R-14899912-1589294358-8175.jpeg.jpg

Last edited:
As a guitar player I've been going back and listening to various Malcolm Young isolated rhythm tracks. One of my favorites being that ripping rhythm he does in Thunderstruck which makes the song what it is. What a machine that guy was.
2019-10-08_1108-735x413.png

22%2C_A_Million_cover.jpg

Bon Iver - 22 a million (2016) *1/2

Bullshit attempt at making a folk album with a shitload of auto-tune, the first song is alright, but yeah, really not very good.

1000_gec_album.jpg

100 Gecs - 1000 Gecs (2019) - *

{<jordan}

What the fuck is this supposed to be? I think I'm getting old.

Didnt choose too well today!

Danny Brown - Uknowhatimsayin
Dylan - Blonde on blonde
Cut Chemist & DJ Shadow - Brainfreeze

I've circled back to Primitive Man- Caustic and Eyeyhategod- SOuthern Discomfort

TFSMeatspace_1525802422.jpg

Tropical Fuck Storm - A laughing death in meatspace (2018) - ***

Enjoyed this one, definitely worth a few spins. Aussie post punk band, recommended for anyone who likes stuff like Joy Division, Wire etc. Couple of excellent songs on it.

Never been a big fan, even though I saw them live 10 years ago, but I've been going through the Cannibal Corpse discography and The Wretched Spawn really jumps out at me, got some fun songs on there.

Never been a big fan, even though I saw them live 10 years ago, but I've been going through the Cannibal Corpse discography and The Wretched Spawn really jumps out at me, got some fun songs on there.

CC has gotten noticeably better technically and their newer stuff seems to have a little more melody than in the past. I really enjoy their work.

CC has gotten noticeably better technically and their newer stuff seems to have a little more melody than in the past. I really enjoy their work.
Yeah dude, Skeletal Domain and Red Before Black have some bangers.

A few different stages in the bands career but always sounds true to themselves. There's the Barnes years, then the early Corpsegrinder years, and then from Kill onward has it's own sound too.

I'm not personally big on Vile or Gallery of Suicide.

Back