What age did you start / finish school?

Playschool (kindergarten) at 4 I think, then school. I left secondary school at 16.

Have you ever wondered why school is six years? Did some idiot just say six when he easily could have said five and screwed everyone in posterity out of a year of youth?

Back in my day we started Kindergarten at age 4 and had a credit based high school system where you needed to complete X number of courses to graduate. Most people would graduate at age 19 but you could cram in a few extra courses in summer school and graduate at 18.

These days we have a standard k-12 program, Kindergarten starts at 4 and high school ends at 18.

PreK like 3 or 4 years old
Masters degree awalrded at age 40 lol

Playschool (kindergarten) at 4 I think, then school. I left secondary school at 16.
Same, I went to college for a bit to sell drugs and take acid with my brainy friends. Also went to Brighton uni to sell drugs and get fucked up with my brainy friends. Never attended either though

Same, I went to college for a bit to sell drugs and take acid with my brainy friends. Also went to Brighton uni to sell drugs and get fucked up with my brainy friends. Never attended either though
Lol. I did the same dropping out of college. And selling acid. We should
Have been friends.

I've been having this discussion with a few people with kids lately and I'm baffled at the age of kids starting school. Apparently I'm the weird one tho.

I'm Australian so our school is grade 1 to 12. University is our equivalent of college and I'm not talking about that.

For me I started grade 1 at age 4 turning 5 in late December. Xmas day baby, so at the end of year 12 , I was 16 turning 17. No preschool or prep ( whatever it's called now )

Obviously seemed and still seems normal to me now but apparently it's a bit abnormal. So what age did you guys ( or your kids) begin your / their education?

That’s weird even for an Aussie mate, I started prep when I’d just turned 5, meant I was still 17 in year 12 so needed my brothers ID for all the 18ths

Dropped out around 15 in 9th grade and was working a job. Got my GED right after I turned 17. I was on a senior level in everything except math which was at 11th grade. Essentially skipped 4 years of high school.

How did so many finish HS at 17 here in the US? Everyone I know finished at 18.

HS at 18
Grad school at 27.

I started preschool at 4. Graduated high school (12th grade) at 18.
Graduated from college at 30 (I had taken years off to play in a band. I wasn’t getting my PhD or anything).

Back