What about washing your belt?

ZeMino

Blue Belt
Reaction score
do you guys wash your belt? jiu jitsu belt, or judo belt or whatever belt you guys use for training..

maybe when you first get it to soften it up a bit, other then that, no point to it....around here, it's a cardinal sin to wash your belt...especially once you start getting stripes.

never needs to be washed...
Unless your like me... I do no gi and i tie the belt around my head like the karate kid.

I feel like it really gets me focused.. Every time im fighting i envision miyahi, the rising sun, daniel beating Cobra Khi

So it gets kind of sweaty... Its not to bad though

The tradition is that your belt indicates your knowledge. Wash the belt and you wash away your knowledge.
I wash my belts a few times before use to get rid of the starch and unfixed dye but never after that. As has been said, "cardinal sin".

I do because it's white - so no amount of dirt makes me look experienced!, once it starts to look filthy i stick it in the wash, probably once every 3 months or so.

it's unlikely i'll wash my blue when I get there though as it won't look so bad.

I do it goes back to being crispy. which is better than having it dirty and smelly especially on a white belt

Fuck that. It gets rubbed all over the mat and sweat gets on it too. Wash it every once in a while. Don't be the stinky kid in class.

Amen Bro...

Supposedly it is Bushido (the way of the warrior) not to wash your belt. It supposedly washes away your strength. Realisticly however, it should be washed or else another plague will befall us like that of ancient days.

I hate stink ass bitches in the gym.

I remember a 60 min special on Men's ties. They said that they found botulism and all sorts of bacteria in mens ties because:
1. Most men do not have thier ties dry cleaned.
2. Most men take a shit, look at themselves in the mirror, fix thier tie, and then wash thier hands. (most people do not wash thier hands after shitting, but thats another topic for another day.)

Moral of the story....bath yourselves bitches!!

pinkylock said:
Amen Bro...

Supposedly it is Bushido (the way of the warrior) not to wash your belt. It supposedly washes away your strength. Realisticly however, it should be washed or else another plague will befall us like that of ancient days.

I hate stink ass bitches in the gym.

I remember a 60 min special on Men's ties. They said that they found botulism and all sorts of bacteria in mens ties because:
1. Most men do not have thier ties dry cleaned.
2. Most men take a shit, look at themselves in the mirror, fix thier tie, and then wash thier hands. (most people do not wash thier hands after shitting, but thats another topic for another day.)

Moral of the story....bath yourselves bitches!!

obviously your instructor never showed you bacteria defenses. sheesh, the practical/street saavy bjj is lost and gone forever.

colinm said:
obviously your instructor never showed you bacteria defenses. sheesh, the practical/street saavy bjj is lost and gone forever.

we do pwn bacteria on a daily basis in the blue belt class!

In bjj I'd be happy if these idiots would just wash their shirts some of the peeps I grap with smell to high hell before the class even starts.

In TKD I don't wash my belt and never will, weren't the first black belts actually white belts that turn black from years of being worn and never washed? I think I hear that somewhere maybe my instructo told us I don't know. Either way in tkd you go through belts like it aint shit in bjj you sweat so much and your belt progression is very slow, I would say wash it but only for bjj, fuck everything else.

You shouldn't ever wash your belt. The dirtier, faded and more ragged it is, the more proof you have experience and know your shit. it's probably good to wash it a couple of times after you get it so it becomes flexible but if it gets too stinky. get some AntiBacterial Febreze. It's my old standby for stinky grappling gear.

Back in the day you had white belts and black belts. As time went on, that was how your skill was judged.

actually, my belt is as dirty as can be... it looks like a piece of cloth tied around my waste.. :D

I've seen black belts that have been more grey belts with spatters of black and a patch of red. Not usually a good idea to call them cheap for not getting a new belt.

Back