What About a Show With Just New Fighters

PabloZed

Brown Belt
Reaction score
The UFC is adding some new and exciting fighters to its roster, but pretty much without any fanfare. As far as I know, there's no event where the new fighters are introduced. I am sure some will appear at signings at upcoming events, but those are not highly publicized events.

An alternative could be a card of newly-signed fighters against UFC fighters. It could be billed as something like "New Faces, New Challenges." Unfortunately, Cormier v Mir is already assigned and so is Bendo v Melendez. But imagine those two fights on the same card as Rockhold v Costa, Jacare v ?, Gerard M v Gus, KJ Noons v Melvin (both coming off losses). You would have a title fight as well as possible #1 contender fights.

Really isn't this what the April 20th card is shaping up to be?

The UFC is adding some new and exciting fighters to its roster, but pretty much without any fanfare. As far as I know, there's no event where the new fighters are introduced. I am sure some will appear at signings at upcoming events, but those are not highly publicized events.

An alternative could be a card of newly-signed fighters against UFC fighters. It could be billed as something like "New Faces, New Challenges." Unfortunately, Cormier v Mir is already assigned and so is Bendo v Melendez. But imagine those two fights on the same card as Rockhold v Costa, Jacare v ?, Gerard M v Gus, KJ Noons v Melvin (both coming off losses). You would have a title fight as well as possible #1 contender fights.

Dana won't do this for a PPV simply because the buys won't be high enough.

If he put it on a FX or a Fox card on the other hand? it would be a great idea

You should only be on the main card if you're already marketable from success outside of the UFC, or you've won on the prelims.

You should only be on the main card if you're already marketable from success outside of the UFC, or you've won on the prelims.

Hence my point about putting these guys on a FX or a FOX card so they can get exposure from the casual fans

While we're at it, why not put the show on at 3AM on a Sunday night on channel 11.5 (in between channels 11 and 12) so that nobody will fucking see it.

Oh, and charge 59.99 for it.

A card with a bunch of names most haven't ever heard of?

Sounds like a terrific money making idea.

Your first idea sounds a lot like just putting on a SF show with SF fighters in the UFC. Putting these new guys against established UFC fighters is the best you are going to do.

there should be themes for cards, you could do a card for new guys, then do a card for veterans, then maybe you could pair up the winners of both cards and have a new guys vs veterans card.

Well if they hype up new fighters too much and then get ktfo that would work against them.

Really the best thing they can do is an indepth countdown show but that will only gain so much traction.

I like this idea and the fights except for the Gus match-up. I'd rather see him fight Jones. Put that fight as the main event with the rest of the fights being the new guys.

Horrible idea.

The best way to promote new fighters is to mix them into cards/fights with known/established/marketable fighters. People tune in to see the big names, and then they will be exposed to the new guys.

If you just have a card with nothing but new guys, you are leveraging zero drawing power from your existing roster and will get a lot less viewers.

Bad for the UFC, bad for the new guys.

Back