What a day for grappling

gracie_barra**

Purple Belt
Joined
Jun 11, 2005
Messages
2,227
Reaction score
0
Guys I gotta say today was one of the coolest days of my life. So I go down to Universal MMA (www.universalmma.com) to sign up during their afternoon classes time slot. Well no one was there because they just started offering afternoons and so only the instructor was present. Hes like "you wanna train?" and I tell him I'm wearing jeans. He says no worries, and loans me some Gi pants (it was no Gi day). Then he showed me some guard passes and for the next 3 hrs it was just free rolling with me asking "how do I do this, how do I do that? " basically a free private session for 3 hrs. That woulda costed me over 300 bucks! At the end hes like "you got a BJJ Gi?" and I tell him I only have my Judo one. Hes like "here, Ill give you the jacket and the belt too." So at the end I got 3 hrs 1 on 1 and a free Atama Gi! Man.. what a day. Tmr I'm going back there for the afternoons and no one will be there again! I learnt sooo much today. Just wanted to share this with you guys. BTW If anyone in the Vancity area is thinking of training I whole heartedly recommend Universal MMA. The teaching there was better than any I've ever had before.
 
Damn! that's sweet, I hope it's quality instruction, either way, that's a pretty sweet deal:)
 
That's awesome. Places and people like that earn your loyalty 4 life.
 
wow man big ups i would be thier all afternoon just being a sponge, good luck man with that cool story.
 
Mythius said:
Damn! that's sweet, I hope it's quality instruction, either way, that's a pretty sweet deal:)

Oh it was great instruction. It was taught by a Marcus Soares Purple (Todd Smith, as listed on their site) and Marcus is a 7th Degree under Carlson and Marcus himself teaches there every 2nd Tuesday and Saturdays. + brings in Carlson sometimes to give seminars. I learnt some awesome guardpasses , counters to certain arm holds, a few more takedowns from the clinch, mount escapes and back mount escapes and sweeps. Its the same gym that Dennis Kang trained in, Minowa was there , Bill Mahood and a few more big names (that I can't remember).
 
gracie_barra said:
Oh it was great instruction. It was taught by a Marcus Soares Purple (Todd Smith, as listed on their site) and Marcus is a 7th Degree under Carlson and Marcus himself teaches there every 2nd Tuesday and Saturdays. + brings in Carlson sometimes to give seminars. I learnt some awesome guardpasses , counters to certain arm holds, a few more takedowns from the clinch, mount escapes and back mount escapes and sweeps. Its the same gym that Dennis Kang trained in, Minowa was there , Bill Mahood and a few more big names (that I can't remember).



sounds like a party...stupid ohio
 
Im actually in Van and i have never heard of this place!! Sounds awsome though.
 
You train at WCBJJ? I believe your trainers under Marcus Soares/ Carlson as well?
 
Yea i new Don trains under Marcus, i have just never heard of universal mma.
 
ColtonS said:
Yea i new Don trains under Marcus, i have just never heard of universal mma.

Yeah no worries, i wasn't dogging you or anything. I was just wondering if your trainer was under MS as well. BTW you ever think of doing drop ins at Marcuses academy? Heard you learn soooo much from just one session.
 
gracie_barra said:
Yeah no worries, i wasn't dogging you or anything. I was just wondering if your trainer was under MS as well. BTW you ever think of doing drop ins at Marcuses academy? Heard you learn soooo much from just one session.

I would love to drop in one of these days, but 20 bucks is prity steep 2 1/5 hour work out.
 
make sure you do Todd right after he was so kind to you. Show up to regular classes with no ego and just start learning bro.
 
yo man i live in van and I wanna know how muich is it for classes. and Im a begginer so is their a begginer class. just want to know abit about universalmma let me know buddy if u got the time. really interested in starting bjj and was wondering about this gym
 
I love those days when its raining (or the moons are aligned or whatever) and no one's in class 15 minutes after start time. I am sitting there thinking "Score! Free private!".

Until bastards start walking in late.
 
Damn, my instructor chages us for privates if he even coaches us during open mat... :)
 
gracie_barra said:
Guys I gotta say today was one of the coolest days of my life. So I go down to Universal MMA (www.universalmma.com) to sign up during their afternoon classes time slot. Well no one was there because they just started offering afternoons and so only the instructor was present. Hes like "you wanna train?" and I tell him I'm wearing jeans. He says no worries, and loans me some Gi pants (it was no Gi day). Then he showed me some guard passes and for the next 3 hrs it was just free rolling with me asking "how do I do this, how do I do that? " basically a free private session for 3 hrs. That woulda costed me over 300 bucks! At the end hes like "you got a BJJ Gi?" and I tell him I only have my Judo one. Hes like "here, Ill give you the jacket and the belt too." So at the end I got 3 hrs 1 on 1 and a free Atama Gi! Man.. what a day. Tmr I'm going back there for the afternoons and no one will be there again! I learnt sooo much today. Just wanted to share this with you guys. BTW If anyone in the Vancity area is thinking of training I whole heartedly recommend Universal MMA. The teaching there was better than any I've ever had before.
Now, tell us what you ACTUALLY did for three hours, to receive an Atama gi for free! :redface:
 

Forum statistics

Threads
1,236,281
Messages
55,411,069
Members
174,765
Latest member
DiazSlap
Back
Top