What’s up with UFC matchmaking?

GOATtalks

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
The quality of the cards this year are way below the usual standard. Top fighters in every division doesn’t seem to bother to really fight each other and cards are filled up with what’s left.
Who is to blame? Are fighters getting to whiny demanding more money and title shots left and right? Does UFC pay that bad? Or there must be a more transparent system on who gets to fight who?

Like a top15 fighter must fight every 6 months to keep his ranking or smth? Make it a sport.

More mandatory fights.
No immediate rematches.
#1 contender always gets the title shot.
Loser of a title fight must fight a top5 guy on a win
Loser of a top5 fight must fight a top10 guy on a win and so on

Thoughts?

Nah it’s actually getting better. Outsides of Conor, Aldo, and Romero they are actually using the ranking system for title shots. And thank Fuck for no immediate rematches lol. But yeah of course you get bullshit fights like Izzy vs Romero and so forth.

It’s far from ideal right now but it’s getting slightly better. SLIGHTLY

Edit:
For a second I thought you said give immediate rematches lol.
But I agree with your post. But I don’t think the rankings or fights are any worse than last year and so on.

They don’t give a fuck anymore

kattar/Stephens, cannonier/Whittaker & till and now edmen/Brunson got taken off 248 and they made 0 effort to replace those fights

enough tickets sold and ESPN is paying them regardless so fuck the fans

Nah it’s actually getting better. Outsides of Conor, Aldo, and Romero they are actually using the ranking system for title shots. And thank Fuck for no immediate rematches lol. But yeah of course you get bullshit fights like Izzy vs Romero and so forth.

It’s far from ideal right now but it’s getting slightly better. SLIGHTLY

Edit:
For a second I thought you said give immediate rematches lol.
But I agree with your post. But I don’t think the rankings or fights are any worse than last year and so on.
What worries me, is that fighters fight not often enough and sit out way too long. I wish there was a system to speed up divisions and fighters wouldn’t waste their prime waiting for fights

More mandatory fights.
No immediate rematches.
#1 contender always gets the title shot.
Loser of a title fight must fight a top5 guy on a win
Loser of a top5 fight must fight a top10 guy on a win and so on

Thoughts?
I think it's pretty silly to make all these dumb rules you know CAN'T be followed realistically.

- A title fight that ends in a draw will always have an immediate rematch
- A loser of a title fight might fight a top 5 guy on a win, but there are times where that fighter has already fought most everyone in the top 5
- #1 contenders always getting the title shot NEVER works. If the number one contender got the Womans straweight title shot it would be an immediate rematch breaking your first rule
- Fighters get injured, have teammates in their division and any other number of reasons why any of these outlines wont come to fruition

It'd be nice in an ideal world I guess. but we don't live in an ideal world, matchmaking isn't always so black and white.

Back