What’s the Deal with Unfrosted? -Jerry Seinfeld Movie Netflix

Truncated: Seinfeld is God funny
ummmm Seinfield (as we're commedians on a battlefield) you spent a whorld snuffing you're dating a highschool girl at age 38.

years, sage brush

...come out on soapbox.

The crux, I think. and humor alwys being in eye of the beholder, as well as the dishumor reaction on the come-around visual

And I think everyone forgets, I do, this yammering of rubbery phaux - everthing feels like lead weights

Existing Feels LIke Lead Weights, fighting for life. Even this little shit feels a visceral threat.

Here's how, hang on...​

Thats what people dont understand. You needed his character to bind all the others.
Agreed 100%

This argument happened decades ago with The Simpsons. Bart and Homer were the funniest, but it took Lisa and Marge to say "what the fuck?!" They represent normal folks acknowledging the crazy.

For the record, we're doin' LP,

I do care, amongst the skuttlebutt, you'll find me, you'll find me.

I think Ariel hates Shakespeare because he's a wood nymph in mythology.

Think of the movie like a box of cereal. On its own it’s lacking something to make it amazing- milk.

And in this analogy, “milk” is weed. Get stoned and it becomes a great movie.

There's more to comedy than doing stand-up. Larry David was terrible at stand-up - apparently on more than one occasion he walked off the stage a few minutes into a set because the audience wasn't laughing.
Yes. I completely agree that Jerry is a better stand up.

But Larry is vastly more talented at writing shows/movies.

Every show/movie that Larry has written without Seinfeld is hilarious.

Yet we see Jerry doing shows and movies without Larry and he's falling flat. Except for comedians in cars getting coffee, which is more funny to me because of the guests.

People are stupid. What can we do about that? Anyone with functioning brain cells should've known immediately that this pop tart movie would be silly nonsense that Jerry used as an excuse to hang out with a bunch of his comic friends and make money - for which I won't begrudge the man - but Seinfeld is the GOAT sitcom, Jerry is one of the GOAT stand-ups, and there's a reason that Curb Your Enthusiasm is improvised: Because Larry is all about structure and plot points while Jerry is the dialogue man. Larry can't write dialogue without Jerry, so he creates a show that's all improv so he doesn't have to, but when Larry left Seinfeld, Jerry took on the double duty of story and dialogue, and he still produced two hilarious seasons of TV. People who can't recognize Jerry's comedic savvy are like people who use dental tape.

71119592-cde9-4a7d-abf0-d4fd2d2a80a8_text.gif
Sour grapes and clear history have written dialogue and they eye both funny movies written by David

Sour grapes and clear history have written dialogue and they eye both funny movies written by David

Clear History was so freakin hilarious in the first half but it kinda loses steam towards the end, still a really fun movie though

To me, his comedy chops and just the volume and the years and what he's accomplished, ya have to acknowledge and give dues and respect. This frosted thing looks funny, i'm in. That said, as a person, can't stand him. I think he's 3/4th of a human due a handful of factors: he doesn't really like people (I give him that), i don't think he's a germaphobe, I think he's a phobe, he's found rarified air and panics when what was it Shakira, who's the girl, comes to give him a hug. The footage of that, ...I can see that happening if you're having a worse day, but this is how you respond to shit on the cuff, I was waiting for him to throw up or call for a hot towel, ..granted, it was impromptu - no prep - no - fore-warning....and that's your bodily response and rapid assessment to that wild spontaneous situation of a bouncy young girl bubbling her way over for a hug, this the guy twirling Shoshana in circles on her ice skates at Rockerfella. To me it's the age old question, can you love the art and not the artist. So that's the big question? The answer is Yes. I don't mean that in every case for everyone, as a WASH, yes. And moreso, now that everything is being thrown in the washing machine of culture today so see what plays out.

This is an aspect of Jerry that a lot of people miss, too: What for you is reason to dislike him is one of the reasons that I like him so much. You're correct, he's not a "normal" person (whatever that is, and I'm surprised to see you pushing this criterion as grounds for a negative judgment ;)), but that's why he's a unique person. He has a unique vantage point from which to observe the world and the people in it, hence him basically being a one-man genre of observational comedy. It's harder to observe the world when you're in it, but because in a very meaningful sense he stands apart from it, he sees things normal people don't and he's able to comment on it in funny ways.

He's also, and for this I both like and respect him, 100% himself, always, no matter the context. Just because some silly girl is famous he's going to let her come up and hug him? He doesn't want to hug random strangers, so he says no. He has boundaries, he has a way he conducts himself, and he doesn't have any phoniness to him. There's no distinction between "Regular Jerry" and "Hollywood Jerry." It doesn't matter if he's on a red carpet or in a hardware store, Jerry will always be Jerry. Not many people have that kind of self-assurance, but he does, and the way that he carries himself is commendable, especially since, going in the other direction, if he likes and respects you, he goes out of his way to show it. Mark Normand is a perfect case in point. He was just a random New York City club comic, but Jerry saw something in him and he shouted him out on a Mets broadcast and brought him on the road with him, and it not only changed Mark's career, but Mark can now count Jerry as a friend, and I don't know that there have been two consecutive episodes of his podcast Tuesdays with Stories where he doesn't mention Jerry. One of the highlights of his life and career have been Jerry's personal friendship and professional mentorship, yet Jerry doesn't have to do that. He does it because he loves comedy and loves comics and because he's a genuine dude.

Didnt you call Jerry a GOAT level standup comedian earlier in this thread? I mean...come on now. (Perhaps I misread what you were saying lol)

"Come on now" what? Only in the bizarro world is Jerry Seinfeld not one of the GOAT stand-ups.

Clear History was improvised, just like Curb, again proving my point. And Sour Grapes?

You must be joking. That's an awful movie. It's literally a bad Seinfeld episode. And you know why it's bad? Take a guess...

It was over-the-top campy, and campy is only good to a point.

Thought it was just alright.

Agreed 100%

This argument happened decades ago with The Simpsons. Bart and Homer were the funniest, but it took Lisa and Marge to say "what the fuck?!" They represent normal folks acknowledging the crazy.

In comedy that is called the "straight man" which acts as a contrast to the eccentric crazy character. Usually guest stars act as the straight man when interacting with the main characters. So even Jerry sometimes acted as the eccentric when he was around normal people outside of the main group

Kramer will always be the crazy one and everyone around him was the straight man, even George. With some exceptions like Newman where they both worked as a duo

Overall Seinfeld was especially good in using this dynamic

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GringoRonin
Back