western boxing or mt?

outcastkid

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
hello guys.i'm currently doing bjj and mma.but i'm planning to quit mma as we concentrated to much on the ground and pound and no mits training.so i'm thinking of doing western boxing to compliment my bjj as my kicks are lousy.so the question is i want to know is it ok just to train boxing and bjj for mma?or shud i just re consider and join muay thai?...+plus is there any Pro mma
fighter that doesnt utilise kicking and concentrates more punching and ground game?

Most people in the UFC don't concentrate on kicks and when they do kick they just kinda throw it out there without much technique behind it. So to answer your question, yes you would be fine to just use boxing and BJJ. Just remember to be mindful that the person does have the ability to throw kicks so be ready for them. I'll toss Marcus Davis out there as an example of a boxer that has had success at higher levels with using some boxing fundamentals.

I actually prefer Boxing than Muay Thai for MMA or just Boxing over Muay Thai period for anything. It depends what you want to do, Fighters can just concentrate on their hands and ground game and be amazing.

Fedor for example, He aint bad is he?

I'm starting to like boxing more than MT and Sanshou.

Boxing's very technical - if you like science, if you like analyzing stuff boxing's just so great in the details and very rewarding to train in. Slipping and dodging punches that your partner/opponent throws at full speed/force is a great feeling.

Plenty of very good fighters who hardly ever throw a kick, Rampage, Fedor and BJ come to mind.
You just need to be able to defend against leg kicks and knees, you don't actually need to use them yourself

Boxing's very technical - if you like science, if you like analyzing stuff boxing's just so great in the details and very rewarding to train in. Slipping and dodging punches that your partner/opponent throws at full speed/force is a great feeling.

+1 Boxing is a very good sport yes, not to disrespect Muay thai but i would take it over thailands sport to spread my own peoples sport who have been training in boxing for decades thats something you might want to take in consideration for your own sport :icon_arro

It seems to me that in MMA, regardless of what style of striking you employ that you operate in a Kickboxing/Muay Thai context. My reasoning is that in MMA kicks, punches, knees and (in some promotions) elbows are allowed. Muay Thai takes all of this into consideration where as boxing focuses exclusively on hands. That said, I do not and have not ever trained in MMA so I may very well be talking pure and utter shit.

I like both, I train both. If you can, do that, best thing you could possibly do.

consider learning muay thai at an MMA school. if you go to a traditional muay thai school there is a lot of kicking involved which is not necessary for the striking game in MMA. i study muay thai at an mma school and the emphasis is on good boxing combinations complimented by kicks. muay thai is a game in which most punches are set ups to kicks, where as good hand speed and boxing combinations are what will win fights in MMA

I've heard from others that Eastern Boxing is far superior..or was it Northern boxing?..fuck now im all mixed up.

Well muay thai obviously doesn't work well for anderson silva, or vanderlei... :|

if you want to kick it up a knotch try 'tae bo'.....

Gomi does not throw a lot of kicks.

If you are asking this question on here I am assuming you are not going to be a pro so I would take what you want to. Some guys like to kick, others don't.

well.i am planning to be one.but u know that we have start from the bottom,well especially me as i am not fit and talented fighter.and my conditioning is bad..but do u guys think my decision is right?

Back