Werdum vs Miocic for UFC 198 is still not announced officially... Why?

M Raid K

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
A few weeks ago the rumour was widely spreaded that Werdum vs Miocic was going to headline new-found UFC 198 in May. However, neither the UFC website nor Wikipedia confims that fight. My question is, what are they waiting for? May it be caused by both fighters' injury recovering process? May it be caused by Overeem's negotiations? What's going on?

Lol at using wiki as a source for confirmation.

They rely on other sources, so they are usually quick to add something if it's confirmed somewhere else.
Anyone can add anything in so the trolls have a field day.

Hmm I thought it was confirmed though which is pretty weird.

Probably a combination of them waiting to announce during a tv broadcast, and waiting to hear if Werdum is healed up.

how long is Cain out for?

If everything post his surgery goes okay he can start to train in 5 weeks (2 weeks are down already) so around the second week of march time frame wise.

Edit: just read up on Werdum seems he didn't need any surgery just a few weeks rest and recovery time so yea there waiting to see how Cain is feeling and if he can make it in the tight time frame.. if not then is Stipe I guess.

Last edited:
Werdum wants to take time to heal up

Possible. But the UFC already rearranged a normal event into PPV. Also Jacare's manager confirmed that Jacare was given a co-main event slot. The timing doesn't suggest any other champion beside Werdum (unless Dominick Cruz or Robbie Lawler are willing to jump in and they are not even cleared to go AFAIK).

Reem probably trying to negotiate a title shot into his contract...

it will prbably be Cain for the 443639329763939 time

Cain is gonna fight Bigfoot again. Lol. I still cant believe he got a title shot and Overeem never got one. Yes , i know he was supposed to fight JDS but got busted
Losing to Bigfoot cost Reem his shot more than anything else.

If everything post his surgery goes okay he can start to train in 5 weeks (2 weeks are down already) so around the second week of march time frame wise.

Edit: just read up on Werdum seems he didn't need any surgery just a few weeks rest and recovery time so yea there waiting to see how Cain is feeling and if he can make it in the tight time frame.. if not then is Stipe I guess.

this is a joke. if they put Cain in after all this, its very, very, very clear they want Cain as the champ for some reason. I don't think i've ever seen UFC give another fighter as many passes and chances as Cain Velasquez. Its pathetic and disturbing.

this is a joke. if they put Cain in after all this, its very, very, very clear they want Cain as the champ for some reason. I don't think i've ever seen UFC give another fighter as many passes and chances as Cain Velasquez. Its pathetic and disturbing.

I think it all comes down to $ they think that Werdum vs Cain 2 will sell more PPVs then Werdum vs Stipe.

Also Cain has been in 5 title fights won 3 of them that's basically 'royalty' in the HW division his not exactly a 'scrub' they have given rematches for way less and he looked way off from his normal form in his last outing be it from opponent / long lay off / altitude that remains to be determined.

I think it all comes down to $ they think that Werdum vs Cain 2 will sell more PPVs then Werdum vs Stipe.

Also Cain has been in 5 title fights won 3 of them that's basically 'royalty' in the HW division his not exactly a 'scrub' they have given rematches for way less and he looked way off from his normal form in his last outing be it from opponent / long lay off / altitude that remains to be determined.

he also has an extensive track record of pulling out of fights and injuring himself. USUALLY, dana goes bonkers on fighters that do this, with Cain, they haven't said a peep. They just keep booking him, Contrary to public opinion. IF the last Cain vs Werdum matchup 7 or so months after the first fight was suspicious, then what is another booking say?

In cases like these UFC tends to bow to public pressure, but this time they haven't. Is a Cain rematch really going to sell that much more? this is the same organization that put MM fights on ppv.

he also has an extensive track record of pulling out of fights and injuring himself. USUALLY, dana goes bonkers on fighters that do this, with Cain, they haven't said a peep. They just keep booking him, Contrary to public opinion. IF the last Cain vs Werdum matchup 7 or so months after the first fight was suspicious, then what is another booking say?

In cases like these UFC tends to bow to public pressure, but this time they haven't. Is a Cain rematch really going to sell that much more? this is the same organization that put MM fights on ppv.

Well Werdum doesn't draw at all and same goes for Cain solo he needs a strong opponent to do decent numbers.

Werdum vs Cain 2 does around 400k buys and Werdum vs Stipe does around 300k buys I think.. in order to boost them they need a strong card or a kick ass co-main event.

The thing is they don't really have much to chose from the current HW division contender pool.. you got the unpolished and unknown Stipe, the kinda 'goofy' looking Big Ben and the 'negotiating' post horse meat Reem.

Cain like it or not as been in the public eye more then any other choice only if he wasn't out for 2 years that really took the wind out of his sails.

A few weeks ago the rumour was widely spreaded that Werdum vs Miocic was going to headline new-found UFC 198 in May. However, neither the UFC website nor Wikipedia confims that fight. My question is, what are they waiting for? May it be caused by both fighters' injury recovering process? May it be caused by Overeem's negotiations? What's going on?

Stipe will get next title shot but Cain may recover.

Well Werdum doesn't draw at all and same goes for Cain solo he needs a strong opponent to do decent numbers.

Werdum vs Cain 2 does around 400k buys and Werdum vs Stipe does around 300k buys I think.. in order to boost them they need a strong card or a kick ass co-main event.

The thing is they don't really have much to chose from the current HW division contender pool.. you got the unpolished and unknown Stipe, the kinda 'goofy' looking Big Ben and the 'negotiating' post horse meat Reem.

Cain like it or not as been in the public eye more then any other choice only if he wasn't out for 2 years that really took the wind out of his sails.

DIsagree, Reem is a big draw and Cain in too in Mexican-American audience. Stipe is ok draw....Rothwell is like the guy that smoked cigarettes in middles school.

Back