Werdum vs Gordon Ryan...

LukeSkyrocker

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
In ‘combat’ jiu jitsu. Very strange style eh? Basically jiu jitsu but you can slap the shit out of your opponent. I’d rather be head kick KO’ed than slapped around and then choked out hahaha high stakes! Who do you think takes this? Gorgon Ryan needs to be humbled in my opinion.

In ‘combat’ jiu jitsu. Very strange style eh? Basically jiu jitsu but you can slap the shit out of your opponent. I’d rather be head kick KO’ed than slapped around and then choked out hahaha high stakes! Who do you think takes this? Gorgon Ryan needs to be humbled in my opinion.
Havent looked into it yet, but must look like ol´school JJJ Tournaments, like the Lumax Cup in the 1990s...

I don't know about this one. GR has been talking about how he's training with wrestlers but I have yet to see him go for takedowns, instead he plays the bottom game against bigger opponents. Bjj goes to Ryan and slaps go to Werdum.

Looking forward to it. Gordon Ryan has separated himself from the rest of BJJ, and adding in slaps is one step closer to seeing if he could ever do something like MMA. If he can bully someone like Werdum in that environment...the sky is the limit for that gentleman.

Havent looked into it yet, but must look like ol´school JJJ Tournaments, like the Lumax Cup in the 1990s...
Do you happen to know who used to operate those Lumax Cup tournaments? Not a lot of information exists on them.

Do you happen to know who used to operate those Lumax Cup tournaments? Not a lot of information exists on them.
Ya mean, who organized them?

By the way, ya can watch them:
Lots of ATG Japz started there: TK, Kikuta,Minowaman...Gono, myself! (see the kick landed on Murakami)

this one too:

Last edited:
Ya mean, who organized them?
Yes, I'm asking who organised them. I've already seen the one where TK beats Egan in the finals.

BTW, is the '94 tournament knockdown karate rules in the stand-up? Because it seems like they're almost head punching in a few instances.

It somewhat reminds me of something called Knock Down Sport Budo, which is what Bisping participated in prior to MMA.

Last edited by a moderator:
The finals of the first CJJ Tournament ended in a TKO..... Shit was nuts.

Can't wait. I enjoy EBI and CJJ way more then UFC at this point. Never thought I'd say that.

Yes, I'm asking who organised them. I've already seen the one where TK beats Egan in the finals.

BTW, is the '94 tournament knockdown karate rules in the stand-up? Because it seems like they're almost head punching in a few instances.

It somewhat reminds me of something called Knock Down Sport Budo, which is what Bisping participated in prior to MMA.

Same ruleset IIRC.

Yoshinori Nishi was the Mastermind.

Last edited:
The finals of the first CJJ Tournament ended in a TKO..... Shit was nuts.

Can't wait. I enjoy EBI and CJJ way more then UFC at this point. Never thought I'd say that.
I really thought the slapping would be a nice side element to prevent stalling during a match but I never expected it to be such a potent technique.

I really thought the slapping would be a nice side element to prevent stalling during a match but I never expected it to be such a potent technique.

It really keeps shit honest as intended.... If you want to put yourself in a bad position, you assume the risk.

Some matches the striking is nonexistent, other times it really picks the action up. It sounds silly, but damn it works. And if they start throwing the whole atmosphere changes.

I was once at a party and got sucker slapped I then choked the piss out of the dude till he was innocuous

lol Werdum's stand up game used to suck so bad he sometimes resorted to slapping his opponents, this won't be anything new to him.

I'm very much looking forward to this, Gordon's been calling out the winner of the Felipe Pena vs Galvao ADCC superfight later in the year too. Idk if I'm like guy earlier itt who said the grappling comps are more interesting than the UFC, but, I do very much look forward to all the grappling comps this year. Lots of exciting match-ups to be made imo.

Back