Went to the rifle range today

No. The range I go to doesn't have any Springfields to test out. I've heard good things about it though. Why do you ask?

Go to m4carbine.net and read what they have to say about XD's. I wouldn't recommend one, the fact that nodody has adopted it for duty use is very telling. Any gun will likely function okay when not pushed very hard, but when you shoot the bejesus out of guns in classes/training etc, there are designs that are consistently more reliable and durable.

Some good ones costs about the same as the lesser design..

You see this very same thing with different car brands.

Last edited:
Has anyone had expierence with Hi Point .40 S&W. Looking to get a handgun and fairly new with this all, so not sure what to look for. Its for home protection and to go to the range every now and then.

I recently bought a hi point 9mm as stated in my first post. Haven't shot their .40 though. People are usually split on the high points. Mine actually does well, but I wouldn't rely on it for protection.

Here are some reviews.
Hi-Point 40/45 Full Size Pistol Reviews Forum and Reference Guide

Why are you getting a handgun instead of a shotgun for home protection?

Handguns are very inaccurate and the main reason to own one is so you can conceal it under clothing.

Here is a copy/paste from another thread, there are a lot of reasons not to own a shotgun for home defense. Handguns are not inaccurate either.

An excerpt from the book "The Modern Survival Manual: Surviving the Economic Collapse" by Fernando Aguirre.

"Shotguns for Defense

I like shotguns because of their reliable mechanics and unparalleled stopping power at close range but I've always thought that they are not adequate for home defense, and the lessons learned during a defensive pistol class have reaffirmed this notion even more.

Even though many consider the shotgun to be THE best home defense weapon, there are a few issues that just don't add up when compared to what I consider more capable weapons for close quarters combat (CQC), the kind of fighting you are likely to engage inside your home.

First, most long arms are too big to move around a house.

It takes a lot of practice not to bump into every wall or piece of furniture, especially if under stress, and it gives just too much leverage in case an attacker gets hold of your barrel.

In spite of the maneuvers you can learn in case this happens, the truth is that a long arm does provide more leverage, more surface to grab, and if you are against a physically stronger attacker, odds are not in your favor when fighting over the weapon.

In a big isolated house or farm where the fight can easily be brought outside I'd much rather have a pistol caliber subgun or short carbine chambered for a rifle round.

For an average size house or apartment a big bore handgun would allow you to move around better, open doors and keep a "sacrifice" hand ready to keep an attacker at bay.

The pump shotgun also has another disadvantage that was made very clear to me while practicing retention drills and hand to hand techniques during the class: The pump shotgun obviously requires both hands to work, something that is fast to do when no one gives you a hard time, but you still need both hands none-the-less for each shot.

What I mean is, if you fired your weapon and the attacker happened to twist the barrel away from his body, you are now in a pretty big pool of fecal matter, fighting over a weapon that requires you to use the hand you are using to defend yourself from the attacker, and putting both hands on your shotgun allows your attacker to use one hand to keep the barrel away from his body and the other hand to punch/stab/shoot into your face at will.

You'll probably be locked together as you fight, so you also lack the range to put the barrel against him.

A handgun allows you to use your "sacrifice" hand to keep your attacker at bay, open doors as you move around, punch or push to gain more distance, while you can easily pump round after round with the weapon held close against your ribs, slightly angled down and pointed at the attacker's chest.

Trying all this out for real is very enlightening.

Remember taking the necessary precautions please! Both participants checking for themselves that the weapons used are empty before they exercise this.

Sure, cops use shotguns (though lately AR carbines are becoming more popular), but they choose shotguns because of other good reasons mentioned.

1) ALL cops carry a handgun as well, something most folks who recommend a shotgun as the one and only weapon for defense seem to forget.

2) They have other bystanders to worry about, and the shotgun's limited range is a terrific bonus regarding this issue. God only knows how many innocent bystanders are alive thanks to this wise decision.

3) Cops work as a team, they won't go anywhere alone if they can help it, specially face an armed attacker. Meaning, if an attacker gets hold of an officer's shotgun barrel, his partner will either shoot him or crack his skull wide open with his baton.

BIG difference: You are much more likely to be alone when handling something like that.

A short barrel AK would be much better than a pump shotgun regarding the ease of putting rounds down range just by pulling the trigger.

They also have much higher capacity, 30 rounds vs. 6-8 rounds in most pump shotguns.

A rifle round is very effective due to its high speed, but for home defense I'd go for JHP ammo to avoid over penetration, something that can happen with military FMJ ammo.

the carbine advantage becomes more evident when the fight is brought to your front lawn or back year, defending against attackers at longer ranges like Alejandro Reynoso mentions in his book regarding defending isolated retreats or farm houses. The rifle cartridge turns most cover into concealment since it penetrates much better than most pistol and shotgun cartridges."

What's in going to a range and shooting a pistol or rifle? I've never been, so I asking what I'm missing here?

Can't really say I'm a gun guy, so if I was gonna any gun suggestions?

It's hard to explain, just something you need to experience. It's a lot of fun, a great stress reliever, and there is a competitive element to it too. To be better than your friends or even just see improvement in yourself is satisfying.

If you think about what it takes to fire a gun it's pretty interesting. You literally have a controlled explosion going off in your hands every time you pull the trigger. The power of it, the physics, the mechanical engineering it takes to make something that can handle that thousands upon thousands of times fascinate me. Reasonable quality guns tend to be better built than almost any other mechanical device in the same price range. The history of guns is also something I greatly appreciate. To think that the 1911 was originally designed in the late 1890s is just incredible. It has seen improvements over the years but it is still one of the most accurate and popular handguns today. Similarly the AK-47 went into production in 1947 and is still probably the most reliable semi-automatic rifle ever built! Again, I can't think of any other technology that is as timeless, and has as much history as firearms technology. It is truly amazing.

You just need to go and experience it for yourself. I have the most fun shooting handguns if I go to an indoor range. I would suggest you rent a handgun and maybe a rifle or shotgun and you will have a blast. Rent something simple like a Glock, I'm sure a range employee could help you out. Make sure you read/watch youtube videos about gun handling and safety before you go.

The longer pull you do, the higher chances of the aim moving. You need as less trigger travel as possible, that's why you gotta pull til it's about to release the striker, then hold it there til you're ready to shoot.

Try dry firing over and over and you'll notice that the sights move when you pull the trigger.

I think you are over simplifying it. if you rely on a feather light touch to trigger your gun you are doing something else wrong

you should pull the trigger in a smooth motion and not know when you trigger it, it takes practise

I think your method of semi-pulling it borderline retarded and very unsafe

No finger on the trigger until you are about to shoot IMO

The longer pull you do, the higher chances of the aim moving. You need as less trigger travel as possible, that's why you gotta pull til it's about to release the striker, then hold it there til you're ready to shoot.

Try dry firing over and over and you'll notice that the sights move when you pull the trigger.

Hmm...I've always tried to make one long steady pull. Everything I've read suggests to do so. It'd seem awkward to pull it a little bit then adjust my finger. On my PX4 it has a single-action mode so that'd be even harder to do.

Go to m4carbine.net and read what they have to say about XD's. I wouldn't recommend one, the fact that nodody has adopted it for duty use is very telling. Any gun will likely function okay when not pushed very hard, but when you shoot the bejesus out of guns in classes/training etc, there are designs that are consistently more reliable and durable.

Some good ones costs about the same as the lesser design..

You see this very same thing with different car brands.

True. Part of the reason I bought my PX4 was because cops use them. Another gun I liked(and I'll get eventually assuming my career gets back on track) is the Glock 19 for partially the same reason.

I think you are over simplifying it. if you rely on a feather light touch to trigger your gun you are doing something else wrong

you should pull the trigger in a smooth motion and not know when you trigger it, it takes practise

I think your method of semi-pulling it borderline retarded and very unsafe

No finger on the trigger until you are about to shoot IMO

There's a reason why most competition shooters use the 1911 because of its single action trigger pull.

There's a reason why most competition shooters use the 1911 because of its single action trigger pull.

There's a reason why everyone else uses Glocks, they don't want to do 40 hours of maintenance every 10,000 rounds. :icon_chee

Just kidding, I love both, but I have to agree with YeahBee, a hair trigger doesn't necessarily translate to a more accurate gun. I get what you're saying; it doesn't require as much force to pull it, which affects your grip and hold less, but that's something you correct anyways with practice. I can't shoot a 1911 worth a shit and it isn't the calibre that bothers me either, I can shoot the same 230gr. .45 ACP FMJ much better from a polymer gun than I can out of any 1911 I've ever handled. I still think 1911s are gorgeous guns though and they still hold a special place in my heart.

Last edited:
The 1911's sweet ass trigger is probably the main reason why people still use it for super cereal business IMO. There is no other design with such a short pull/reset and with the trigger going straight back. Very easy to hit with under stress for a lot of people. In shootability it's arguably unmatched.

Its slide/ frame rail design and barrel/slide lugs have a lot of contact surface areas, and therefore needs more lube than the newer polymer designs. Its parts are almost never drop in, so that to replace parts, you'd have to send it to a competent smith to fit for max reliabilty.

It is kinda outdated but one would be well served with a quality 1911 like the springfield PRO, wilson's, ed brown and others, plus custom builds. a properly executed 1911 costs like 3-5 times as much as a glock 19 though.

Back