Welterweight division fact?

jessecalvillo

FightsAreSweet
Reaction score
I heard recently that there was some sort of statistic out there that says more fights have gone the distance in the welterweight division than any other division. Now, I just can't help but feel like this is incredibly accurate. I can think of a million and one decisions in the welterweight division more so than any other division.

there are also more fighters at Welterweight than any other division aside from maybe Lightweight

those two are the weight classes most people fall into

there are also more fighters at Welterweight than any other division aside from maybe Lightweight

Always has been the most competitive division.

thats why i only watch MW and above, "fighters" are too small these days.

Well WW has probably the most wretlers.

I heard recently that there was some sort of statistic out there that says more fights have gone the distance in the welterweight division than any other division. Now, I just can't help but feel like this is incredibly accurate. I can think of a million and one decisions in the welterweight division more so than any other division.

It's pretty close

either sarcasm or not a real fan of the sport

Lol at this. I compete in submission wrestling and am sparring partner to my cities toughest MMA fighters and our best 170 lbs fighter is 5'10 205 in great shape and lean and fights at 170. I'm 5'9 195 lbs lean and would fight at 170. Guys like this are the average man with great build who (in my opinion) can compete with the big guys and the little guys. They possess the right centre of gravity , excellent speed and power, skill, etc. I've always considered the welterweight division the best. Once you get to middle weight and up you're more likely to encounter freaks of nature in build but they are usually less skilled and a step slower than lower divisions. This is from my experience and knowledge of the game. Pertaining to the TS , I would liken the decisions in welterweight to the fact that it's the most wrestling heavy and competitive division in the world.

Kampmann, Hendricks, Maia, Ellenberger.

See what I did there?

And you can't /thread your own post.

Yeah, I get it, you named a few outliers within the population. So your claim then is that the statistic mentioned in the OP is inaccurate and ww does not contain the most decisions?

If I had to guess I would say LW or WW, because they have more fighters on their respective rosters. Is anyone out there appalled by this news? Anyone care to be upset about it or is this just a feel good hey man we all agree thread?

and middleweight too I think. But Lightweights and welterweights are the most populated weightclasses by far.

Yeah, I get it, you named a few outliers within the population. So your claim then is that the statistic mentioned in the OP is inaccurate and ww does not contain the most decisions?

No, but I am claiming that GSP, Kos, and Fitch are not the end all reasons that welterweight has the highest decision rate. They are just three fighters in the largest division, I could name three decision-heavy fighters from every weight class except maybe heavyweight.

It's a large division with lots of talent and lots of wrestlers in the upper echelon. Mystery solved. It really doesn't get much more obvious.

Back