Well i just got some bad news

minimagpro

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
went to the doctor today for an mri on my shoulder which has been bothering me for a few weeks and i have a torn labrum and there is abnormal bone growing.

im going to have to have surgery and im prolly gonna be out of ju-jistu for a few months.

now i live ju-jistu and this has really gotten me down but what is there to do while being injured.

get a second opinion!!!!! Surgery is not the answer for everything. Are you in pain?? loss range of motion on your shoulders?? Loss strength?? if not look for a second a opinion. Yeah it might bother here in there but if stops from fighting that hurts sooo much then you might be looking for surgery

hey man sorry about that what part of tn are you in cause i was lookin for some bjj classes and none is here in alabama thats close to me and i am like 20 to 30 min away from tn

I went through the same thing with my ankle. I had the same injury that Terrell Owens had last year. Just dont try to come back too fast. It will work itself out.

Get a second opinion. If it is concurrent with that of your GP, I suggest buying JJ books, visualising the techniques and returning like a man possessed.

you can still do wind sprints and jogging while laid up with that shoulder make sure to do it to keep your cardio up

my dad is a radiologist and i got his opinion as well as several other docs. i cant lift my arm above my head and everytime i land on it like in a throw, my shoulder dislocates.

as for grappling in tennessee, call me up 1-731-217-3607, ask for frank... we are in jackson

Dieselgoku23 said:
get a second opinion!!!!! Surgery is not the answer for everything. Are you in pain?? loss range of motion on your shoulders?? Loss strength?? if not look for a second a opinion. Yeah it might bother here in there but if stops from fighting that hurts sooo much then you might be looking for surgery

what?? its a bone growing. if he doesn't cut it off, it'll keep getting bigger.

Heal first, train later.

Read about training, watch movies about rolling, dream about jiujitsu, and breathe grappling.
When you come back you'll have less strength than you had before, so you need to perfect your technique. Study study study. :)

Superbeast said:
Get a second opinion. If it is concurrent with that of your GP, I suggest buying JJ books, visualising the techniques and returning like a man possessed.

A guy at my gym returned from about 3 weeks off because of work and stuff. He was an animal when he returned. We were talking after and he was saying that he had all his jits built up in his mind for 3 weeks and finally let it out. I'm glad I didn't roll with him.

Superbeast said:

on top of this i'd sugest going to your school and watching class. i was out a couple of months with a torn MCL. i went to class as regularly as i normally would. when i was back in action it was like i never left, except for hte tender knee and i was out of shape).

that sucks, best of luck with the surgery and I wish you a speedy recovery. If i were you I'd spend my recovery time reading up and watching whatever instructionals i could get my hands on, I spent a month away and could'nt train over the summer and used it to really thin kabout my training, came back and found that by concentrating on the theory I'd got past a couple of my problem areas with throwing.

I had the tear in my laybrum, I had it repaired in March (as well as some tendons that where torn off the bone as well ) .You'll be out for at least 3 months and then maybe if you trust your training partner you can roll with one arm . Listen to your Doctors and follow their orders so you don't mess your self up for good . Looks like you'll be on Sherdog alot , I was either on here or watching BJJ tapes ....Good Luck...

that sucks man but be sure it heals completely before you come back ... in the mean time work on your cardio a lot

Suggestion: turn your heart to the Lord Jesus Christ, regardless of injury.

well: the surgery is coming up soon and i have decided to just continue coming to class as normal and im going to get some new dvd's (about time)

i am just going to study technique like a mad man and come back better than ever....
luckily i wont lose too much strength because i will be doing physical therapy everday

when i dont get to train for periods of time, i hang out on here and watch te4chnique vids and worlds vids.it helps keep you in the loop and keeps the interest level up

I have been having severe pain on my shoulder and back for a couple of months. I finnaly whent to a chiropracter and done some x-rays and aparently my spine was a little dislocated and that was putting pressure on some nerve. I've been gatting treatment and the pain is gone even though I dont have full motion on my shoulder. the doc says I should be back in a month or so (been doing treatment for 2 weeks). my advice to you is, check a chiropractor or a osteopath, they are really good

let us know how the chiro goes.
i hear good and bad things about then

well the mri shows that my posterial labrum is competely torn in half and that i took a piece of bone the size of a marble out of my shoulder so a chiropractor wont help that much

its a simple surgery, but a long recovery

Back