Weightcutting in Boxing compared to MMA

Niels

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
This might be a 'casual' question, but why does it seem that there is way less weightcutting in boxing than in MMA?

I know there are way more weightclasses in boxing, but there don't seem to be any FW Conor McGregors for example who look for huge weight and-or height-advantages

Is it just not as displayed as in MMA or do they weigh the boxers closer to the fight?

weight is a bigger advantage in grappling than it is in boxing. cutting too much only leads to shit performances (as they are discovering in mma). also dehydration and getting punched in the head aren't great friends.

weight is a bigger advantage in grappling than it is in boxing. cutting too much only leads to shit performances (as they are discovering in mma). also dehydration and getting punched in the head aren't great friends.
Just seems weird that it took so long for MMA fighters to find out. But hey it's great, look at Whittaker since he went to MW

It's hard to ban unless they make databases with the weights of fighters tested at random moments
no it's not, if they have a regular weigh in and weigh fighters directly before they fight.

no it's not, if they have a regular weigh in and weigh fighters directly before they fight.
Sadly I think that'll just increase deaths in boxing.

Some guys will do everything for a possible advantage

Just seems weird that it took so long for MMA fighters to find out. But hey it's great, look at Whittaker since he went to MW
masvidal as well as a few others. it seems to be a trend to want to actually have enough energy to lift your arms while fighting. i like it, i though it was great when masvidal and woodley destroyed till.

Last edited:

do you actually understand why fighters cut weight? if you go into a fight dehydrated to make weight you are the same "size" as your opponent and dehydrated as well. the sole purpose of cutting weight is to carry "extra" weight into the fight. you can't do that without rehydrating.

do you actually understand why fighters cut weight? if you go into a fight dehydrated to make weight you are the same "size" as your opponent and dehydrated as well. the sole purpose of cutting weight is to carry "extra" weight into the fight. you can't do that without rehydrating.
I understand, but naturally slender tall guys will still have reach and height advantages, which, in boxing are more important than weight if used wisely.

i would take a wild stab at it and say that i think dehydration and head trauma is one of the leading causes of fatalities in boxing, a lot of the dehydration is suffered during the fight. i will never forget when danny green fought with the flu, lost 8kgs during the fight and nearly died from dehydration.

I understand, but naturally slender tall guys will still have reach and height advantages, which, in boxing are more important than weight if used wisely.
i'm a tall skinny bloke that boxes and i can guarantee the last thing i ever want to do is go into a fight weak from cutting. reflexes, speed, power and stamina are all much more important than a reach advantage. i highly recommend you watch dela hoya vs pacquiao if you want to see what a bad cut does for you.

i'm a tall skinny bloke that boxes and i can guarantee the last thing i ever want to do is go into a fight weak from cutting. reflexes, speed, power and stamina are all much more important than a reach advantage. i highly recommend you watch dela hoya vs pacquiao if you want to see what a but cut does for you.
I understand what you're coming from, but I just refuse to believe that all forms of weightcutting will be possible to ban by weighing the fighters just before their bout.

Especially because the weightclasses are pretty close together.

Also their are always idiots in the sport, who have idiot trainers and entourage as well who will try to search the limits of fighting dehydrated

I understand what you're coming from, but I just refuse to believe that all forms of weightcutting will be possible to ban by weighing the fighters just before their bout.

Especially because the weightclasses are pretty close together.

Also their are always idiots in the sport, who have idiot trainers and entourage as well who will try to search the limits of fighting dehydrated
and i would say let those idiots suffer the consequences, as soon a they realised that it wasn't helping they would soon give up.

masvidal as well as a few others. it seems to be a trend to want to actually have enough energy to lift your arms while fighting. i like it, i though it was great when masvidal and woodley destroyed till.

Till is a shit fighter.

I feel like that's a bit too extreme

Same day weigh ins like in stadiums in Thailand seem to work ok. Risk catches up with the reward, seems to deter fighters from bothering. Having said there was one young scottish fighter who passed cutting a few yrs back. Was running in midday sun in sweat suit iirc.

Back