Weight Training In the morning

KylePulley

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
sorry, I have googled this but cant find what I'm Looking for. I heard that lifting weights in the morning before eating burns alot of fat. You cant do as much because your low on energy but you burn more fat because thats all the body has for energy at the time. Just wondering.

I'm no expert but I think any form of exercise you do before you eat in the morning will have you burning fat. I remember reading that sprints first thing in the morning burned a lot more fat than at any other time of the day.

I think its something to do with glyocen levels though I could be wrong.

I would say it is better to eat before you lift, then eat after you lift morning, noon or night. Excercise first thing in the morning on an empty stomach is a good way to lose muscle, and further weight training on that empty stomach will only compound that since you are in a catabolic state from fasting throughout the night.

Lift weights to gain strength/muscle, diet properly to lose body fat. Do cardio to improve cardiovascular health and stamina related to your goals/sport.

I've tried lifting before eating in the morning. I would leave feeling extremely nautious. Turns out my blood sugars were low. Due to all the anerobic work I was doing, I didn't have the proper sugars to maintain a healthy workout.

Water, oatmeal, protein, and sugar cured all that.

I just started a morning weight lifting program, I choose not to eat before I workout

one of the guys is a bodybuilder/powerlifter and he does the Warrior type diet so he's all about workign out on an empty stomach

I used to do intermittent fasting, and I still will occasionally fast for 30 hours or so. I consistently have my best lifting sessions in a fasted state, whether after a 30 hour fast or just before eating for the day. I think the "low on energy" thing is all in your head.

My main question here, is if i work out, will i burn fat more then if i had something to eat then worked out. Will I actually burn muscle working out like this??

I used to do intermittent fasting, and I still will occasionally fast for 30 hours or so. I consistently have my best lifting sessions in a fasted state, whether after a 30 hour fast or just before eating for the day. I think the "low on energy" thing is all in your head.

Thats intense.I dont know I usually always have my coffee and oatmeal in the morning before I lift.

My main question here, is if i work out, will i burn fat more then if i had something to eat then worked out. Will I actually burn muscle working out like this??

Well, I've had pretty good luck not burning muscle this way. In fact I just hit a 40-pound PR on squat today on an empty stomach.

Simple answer is yes, you will burn more fat training in a fasted state. You will also burn more fat sitting on your ass in a fasted state. There is actually a lot on info here on fasting/intermittent fasting. This is where I learned about it. Try doing a search on intermittent fasting.

There is only a certain amount of blood in your body at any given time, your body cant magically produce extra pre-workout. Blood used in digestion (which is significant) is blood that is diverted from providing nutrients to muscles. Explains why in a fasted state some people may find better "performance" because "more" blood is available for use.

This is assuming muscle glycogen and liver glycogen levels are still high enough, so is blood sugar etc etc.

Back