Weight Gain Questions

Smoove Moove

Blue Belt
Reaction score
So ive been trying to gain weight for awhile but i always never really follow through with it so i decided to do some research and follow a plan. Im 5'10 ,142 pounds and im looking to get up around 165-170. I already have a good workout plan so this is just purely on diet.

What ive came up with is a 40,30,30 diet. 40% protein, 30%carbs 30%fats. This equals to aprox. 2840 calories per day with 284 protein, 213 carbs, and 94 fat. IF i spread it out between 5 meals thats 56.8 protein, 42 carbs, and 18 fats.

My questions are, Is 56.8 grams of protein in one sitting too much for my body to break down? Is 284 grams of protein a day bad for my body? I also read this:

Actually, protein intakes above 20% are not recommended based on current research, even for weight lifters. High protein intakes stress your kidneys and do not result in greater muscle gain.

So those are my main concerns any advice will be appreciated. Thanx

you'll be fine with those intakes. drink adequate water and you should be good to go

Those are some huge meals. I'd personally divide it into 7 meals, as 40p, 30 c, 13 f would be much more do-able. 2 or 3 of those could probably be liquid meals as well.

I just have a hard time believing a 142 lbs. guy is going to be comfortable eating 5 huge meals a day.

Those are some huge meals. I'd personally divide it into 7 meals, as 40p, 30 c, 13 f would be much more do-able. 2 or 3 of those could probably be liquid meals as well.

I just have a hard time believing a 142 lbs. guy is going to be comfortable eating 5 huge meals a day.

The amount isnt a problem for me i can eat alot, the only problem with 7 meals is the time i dont think i can find the time to eat 7 meals in a day

i don't think that those are huge meals, its not as though he's taking down 100g of protein per meal or anything like that. provided that his appetite is good those meals should work no problem

I just read this, Is it true your body can only digest 25-30 grams of protein in an hour?

I just read this, Is it true your body can only digest 25-30 grams of protein in an hour?

no, it can digest 32.59083g per hour. don't overthink this, just eat a solid diet and reap the rewards. one person might be able to digest more or less protein per unit time than another person, you'll never know for sure

you roody poo candy ass. Get off yoru scrawny ass and drink your fuckign milk. a gallon of whole milk every day

142 pound guy - a gallon of milk a day? You're joking, right?

To TS: Eat more. Run less. Drink milk, but not a gallon a day.

Start with 3 glasses , morning, afternoon, evening. Chocolate milk is even better.

Squats & Deadlift FTW. But don't do max. Just less times more working weight.
Do it slower, you don't hurry anywhere.

Make less training sessions for the week, rest a lot. Thin guys tend to do like 6 trainings a week, since they get less weight and recover faster.

Don't hurry things up, don't get disappointed if you will become even thinner at first.

You are going to be fine.

I dont know.

Im bulking currently and knowing that its gonna be over in 3 months tops I just eat whatever I want.

I make sure I get my veggies and fish-oil and for the rest I just eat everything in sight. Seriously, after 23 years of being clueless about nutrition (talking about myself) those 3 months are not gonna break me.

Once I have my desired weight up I will think about a proper diet and protein/carb/fat numbers.

I wouldnt worry about it.

also I know Rip groupies are constantly hyping gomad, but anecdotal evidence or not, when you compare them to somebody who DOES eat enough, it wont matter.

I dont drink milk cause it gives me horrible horrible gas and Im up 12lb in 5 days just by eating obnoxious amounts of food. And whether thats muscle mass or fat is irrelevant when comparing gomad to regular food bulking.

I recommend covering cheap deep freeze pizza with ground beef and then drowning it in olive oil. Put another pizza upside down on top and eat it like a hamburger.
After that eat nuts and raisins until youre about to burst and then down a huge casein shake with grainsmilk.

Thats around 2000kcal right before bedtime. What you eat during the 12 hours before that is up to you. Milk or not, youre gonna gain weight doing that.

If I were you i'd get a majority of my calories coming from slow digestion carb sources. Slower digesting providing energy to your body for longer periods of time, keeping you in anabolism. I don't think eating two pizzas smothered in oil is a great idea if you want to watch the waist line aswell. What is the point of putting on weight if its just fat? All that has happened is your still your weak frame now with extra dead weight on you.

also I know Rip groupies are constantly hyping gomad, but anecdotal evidence or not, when you compare them to somebody who DOES eat enough, it wont matter.

I'm a big milk proponent, but I agree completely. Milk just makes it easy. It comes in gallon jugs and requires no preparation time. If you are willing to make the time and effort, there are plenty of other ways to get in the calories.

The reason that it's commonly suggested to badly underweight people like the TS is that for them to start eating the way that they should will require a fairly major life change, while milk simply requires the momentary dedication to down the milk.

yeah, I didnt wanna sound disrespectful of rips methods either. Hes a great coach and he just does whatever works.

I used to be a "hardgainer" thinking its impossible for me to gain mass, when actually I was just eating like a 9 year old girl. GOMAD probably would have worked wonders for me back then.

eat your body weight in protein and half of it in carbs and fat. 4 days lifting, 2 days cardio for lean mass. no cardio for just bulk.

i'd go with a little less protein and higher carb intake
at your size, your body will probably only be able to assimilate around 30-40 grams at a time anyway

just google "squats and milk routine" or "20 rep squats routine"
even better, pick up the book "super squats" by randall strossen, all the basic same stuff but it provides an interesting read...and you'll have plenty of time bathroom time to read if you're drinking all that milk

Back