Weight Cut/Retaining Muscle

Dk1420

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi, I am 5'9 and usually cut from 150-155 to 135 I have been cutting wieght for a while now, I wrestled in high school and now box and compete in mma as an amatuer and I have never had a problem cutting weight. However I do have a problem keeping muscle by the time I am finished with my cut I look and feel like a string bean. I know plenty of fighters my weight that are as tall as me or even taller and they don't seem to have this problem. Just looking for any advice or opinions. Thanks

This question is vague. How do you go about cutting weight? What's your diet like when you cut? What's your diet like when you don't cut? What's your body fat percentage? How long prior to a comp to you begin cutting? These are just a few missing details. 20 pounds is a big drop when you walk around at 155.

I recommend reading up on Lyle's articles on fat loss.

Fat loss | BodyRecomposition - The Home of Lyle McDonald

I'm guessing your diet doesn't contain enough protein. Ever watch those UFC countdowns and notice their diet consists of a lot of protein? Its because protein is the most satiating macro nutrient while also helping reducethe loss of muscle when there is a calorie deficit.

8 Weeks Out.com • View topic - Cutting Weight

Great thread on weight cutting. Lylemcd and Joel are the main guys to really pay attention to.

Maybe 135 isn't a good fit for your body type, although i have no idea what kind of build you have but it seems like you might have an easier time up a few pounds and retaining muscle.

How long out are you starting your cut and how much are you doing with diet and how much water weight are you cutting? Because cutting more water as opposed to restricted calories helps a lot with me.

Oh and everyone here will tell you to not cut because people here constantly forget that their muscles should simply be a means to an end and fall in love with keeping their physique. To some extent as fighters you lift hard knowing full well you will be forced to give a portion of it back come cut time. That's the game.

You're 135lbs, dehydrated, and you wonder why you look scrawny?

You're cutting 20llbs from a BW of only 155 and you wonder why you feel like crap?

I guess I don't understand the question.

just make sure to cut weight properly (i.e. lotsa protein throughout the day, eat every 4 hours etc)

Hi, I am 5'9 and usually cut from 150-155 to 135 I have been cutting wieght for a while now, I wrestled in high school and now box and compete in mma as an amatuer and I have never had a problem cutting weight. However I do have a problem keeping muscle by the time I am finished with my cut I look and feel like a string bean. I know plenty of fighters my weight that are as tall as me or even taller and they don't seem to have this problem. Just looking for any advice or opinions. Thanks

That's just too much to cut from such a small frame, IMO. You're pulling diminishing (or more likely, detrimental) returns. Cut less and take in more protein and BCAA's when you do it.

You're 135lbs, dehydrated, and you wonder why you look scrawny?

You're cutting 20llbs from a BW of only 155 and you wonder why you feel like crap?

I guess I don't understand the question.

Thanks for all of the input everyone. I never said I feel like crap, just was wondering how to ratain more muscle while cutting.

Thanks for all of the input everyone. I never said I feel like crap, just was wondering how to ratain more muscle while cutting.

lift heavy and keep the demand for muscle, dont cut calories too much , burn fat through exrcise rather than starving yourself

aim for a 500 cal deficit per day from food and 500 cal deficit through cardio (fat burning cardio)
this will roughly give you 2 pounds loss per week with minimal muscle loss, any faster than that and youll be cutting into muscle

You said you feel like a "string bean." Last time I checked, that was not a good thing for a combat athlete to feel like.

But I'm old school.

I've had this problem and I've seemed to alleviate the problem with my last few times fighting.

I make sure I have an intake of protein before or after workouts. I majorly restrict calories/protein when I am eating meals when not around working out. Also BCAA's are a must since they are the amino acids from broken down Protein without the calories/fat. I take this to make sure my muscles are getting fuel while in a calorie restricted diet.

I always say it but beef jerky is awesome. A bag will be like 45G of protein. Calories/Fat not too bad and its not heavy on the stomach. I will usually grab a bag after a hard workout and munch while driving home.

Just make sure to take the sugars out of your diet as much as possible. It is my main focus as calories are usually attached to high sugar foods.

Back