Weight Class 101

hello_world

White Belt
Reaction score
I am 3.5 months in to MMA training. Found a great gym, good fighters.
I'm still a rookie and do not know abou many things, so I am here learning.

I've been training pretty hard, and some of the coaches and other guys have asking me if
i'm thinking about competing at some point. I'm really just trying to build skills and have
fun at this point.

But it got me thinking about weight classes. I'm 6' 4" about 210 (give or take a couple) and athletic
build. Low body fat, not freaky low, just pretty lean. I maintain a good diet and have for years, but
i don't really count calories or get scientific about it. I just eat healthy, natural, organic type foods
and stay away from crap, because crap makes me feel and perform like crap.

Anyways, the biggest i've been is 220-225 range pretty solid but not bodybuilder.
The only times i've been below 200 since high school has been once after food poisoning, and once after pneumonia.

I could make heavyweight, but would be severley disadvantaged. I even think I might be too small for 205 class, but
I am ignorant about making weight. So the next step down is 185 right? 6' 4" @ 185 is just a little bigger
than Anderson Silva (6' 2" @185 right?). So taller guys can do it I guess.

No, I am not suggesting I would fight like Silva. I am actually wondering
if I would be at risk of again being at a disadvantage from dropping that low.

Short story long.
Seems like I never hear of anyone fighting at their natural weight (about 205 for me). I feel like I could build more
mass and cut back to 205, or possibly drop to 185.

I think i'm going to try and cut down (healthily) to 195 as an experiment and see how I feel.
Has anyone else gone through the same type of decision making?
I would appreciate some discussion or advice on the subject from people that have gone through it.

Thanks.

yeah... i walk at around 205 and I for every jiu-jitsu tournament I always debate if I want to diet and cut down to 190 or try to get heavier and go at 200.

Answer: I've always grappled at 190. There's still some huge guys even at that weight.

yeah... i walk at around 205 and I for every jiu-jitsu tournament I always debate if I want to diet and cut down to 190 or try to get heavier and go at 200.

Answer: I've always grappled at 190. There's still some huge guys even at that weight.

for amatuer competition if your in good condition i don't think cutting massive amounts of weight is really all that necessary. if you were overweight or not very lean you may want to really try to get down.
If you feel like you can lose some weight it could help a bit. I wouldn't put to much pressure on your self to cut a bunch of weight for a first fight.

There is one guy at my gym who fights professionally (been on showtime, etc) and walks around at a little over 6" but looks a solid 210 but cuts to 185 to compete. That's what kind of what makes me think i'm too small for 205. Guys must be cutting from 220 at least to make that class.

for amatuer competition if your in good condition i don't think cutting massive amounts of weight is really all that necessary. if you were overweight or not very lean you may want to really try to get down.
If you feel like you can lose some weight it could help a bit. I wouldn't put to much pressure on your self to cut a bunch of weight for a first fight.

Thanks. I'd like to be in an position to make a class one way or another eventually. With a few simple changes in diet and routine i'm pretty sure I could go 10lbs up or down from where I am at now. After that, I'm not sure. If I go 10lbs down, that still leaves me 10-12 away from 185.

I'm not sure how Joe Riggs does it. That guy moves around weight classes like crazy. 300lbs to 170? I'm not trying to call everyone a liar, but I'd like to see a picture of him at 300. There isn't an ounce of loose skin on that guy. He's ripped at every class i've seen him at.

You are right though, no pressure right now. Just trying to figure out how fighters make these decisions so that I can prepare at some point. Whatever i do I don't want to damage my health and end up with diabetes or something crazy like that.

If you're just doing amateur stuff you shouldnt worry about it too much. Try to put on like 5 lbs or so and cut to 205. A lot of amateur shows dont have set weight classes anyway so you could be fighting at 200. If you do think about going pro then you might want to lean out just a tad and go to 185. I wouldnt recomend it now though because its not necessary at your level.

Back