• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Weidman's hype train will be derailed today

The thing is though, even with his less-than-ideal gas tank Weidman still won the fifth round. The only thing that changed as Weidman slowed down was that the fight actually became competitive. But his tank doesn't hinder him the way people make out.
I think Weidman beats Luke convincingly.

But I'm not sure why people keep saying Machida was only successful because Weidman was gassed...

Lyoto got his ass kicked in the third round. He had his head split open. He was hurt pretty bad.

Neither guy was feeling very good going into the fourth round. So I don't think it's fair to say Lyoto was only gaining momentum due to Chris getting tired. Both guys were at disadvantages in the latter rounds of that fight.

And the fifth round was close.

The thing is though, even with his less-than-ideal gas tank Weidman still won the fifth round. The only thing that changed as Weidman slowed down was that the fight actually became competitive. But his tank doesn't hinder him the way people make out.

I agree, Chris does not have a bad gas tank. In fact, given the circumstances, I was very impressed with his composure. No one had thrown Machida around like that, so I'd assume he expended a ton of energy doing it. And I did in fact score round 5 for Chris. With that said, against a guy like Rockhold, you need to be almost fresh in order to keep up with his pace. If you rewatch the Jacare fight, you'll be amazed at just how fine he was leading into the fifth, keep in mind this was after a year and a half layoff including an injury. That's insane. He reminds me a bit like Condit in 5 rounders in that while he may not come out guns blazing and storm through his opponent (though as of late he has, perhaps he's changed his style?) he's hard as fuck to put away and gets stronger as the fight goes on, while his opponent gets weaker.

Chris will dictate the fight early no doubt, as he is the better fighter IMO, but Rockhold is still damn good in his own right, and won't slow down like Machida did in round 5.

I think Weidman beats Luke convincingly.

But I'm not sure why people keep saying Machida was only successful because Weidman was gassed...

Lyoto got his ass kicked in the third round. He had his head split open. He was hurt pretty bad.

Neither guy was feeling very good going into the fourth round. So I don't think it's fair to say Lyoto was only gaining momentum due to Chris getting tired. Both guys were at disadvantages in the latter rounds of that fight.

And the fifth round was close.

Yeah, the fifth round was close and could have been scored either way. If Weidman's tank was as bad as people say it is Machida would have been eating him alive.

And I like Rockhold, but the people thinking he's the man to stop Weidman are reaching. I think he's an easier fight for anyone than Machida.

It's an easy way to dismiss a fighter's accomplishments and the people who acknowledge them.

THIS. I wanted Lyoto to win too, but I think common sense says it stops being a hype train when you take the belt with 2 dominant wins over Anderson mother f'n SILVA

I agree, Chris does not have a bad gas tank. In fact, given the circumstances, I was very impressed with his composure. No one had thrown Machida around like that, so I'd assume he expended a ton of energy doing it. And I did in fact score round 5 for Chris. With that said, against a guy like Rockhold, you need to be almost fresh in order to keep up with his pace. If you rewatch the Jacare fight, you'll be amazed at just how fine he was leading into the fifth, keep in mind this was after a year and a half layoff including an injury. That's insane.

Chris will dictate the fight early no doubt, as he is the better fighter IMO, but Rockhold is still damn good in his own right, and won't slow down like Machida did in round 5.
Rockhold might not make it to the fifth round against Weidman.

And if he does, he might be beat up pretty badly. Which could slow him down.

I was rooting for Rockhold over Vitor, btw. And I think he could beat him in a rematch. Luke is a great fighter, but I honestly think Weidman is better everywhere except maybe cardio.

Rockhold might not make it to the fifth round against Weidman.

And if he does, he might be beat up pretty badly. Which could slow him down.

I was rooting for Rockhold over Vitor, btw. And I think he could beat him in a rematch. Luke is a great fighter, but I honestly think Weidman is better everywhere except maybe cardio.

Very possible, like I said, I wholly believe Chris Weidman is better than Rockhold everywhere, but Luke is quite durable and if he survives into rounds 4 and 5, he will be essentially the same fighter as in round 1, whereas we can clearly see Weidman tends to fade a bit in 4 and 5.

If I had to bet actual money, I'd bet on Weidman via TKO though. This is more a hypothetical situation and to also silence Silva huggers who claim Weidman fans think he's invincible and has no challengers (ironically what they themselves were doing with Silva even though Silva showed MANY more weaknesses than Chris)

I agree with MarkHammer too that Machida is still Chris's biggest threat. Unlike Luke he has the ability to end the fight in any of the rounds consistently, whereas Luke doesn't have that danger factor.

I agree, Chris does not have a bad gas tank. In fact, given the circumstances, I was very impressed with his composure. No one had thrown Machida around like that, so I'd assume he expended a ton of energy doing it. And I did in fact score round 5 for Chris. With that said, against a guy like Rockhold, you need to be almost fresh in order to keep up with his pace. If you rewatch the Jacare fight, you'll be amazed at just how fine he was leading into the fifth, keep in mind this was after a year and a half layoff including an injury. That's insane. He reminds me a bit like Condit in 5 rounders in that while he may not come out guns blazing and storm through his opponent (though as of late he has, perhaps he's changed his style?) he's hard as fuck to put away and gets stronger as the fight goes on, while his opponent gets weaker.

I don't think Machida slowed down solely because of his gas tank. He's made it 5 rounds before just fine, at both 205 and 185. If Rockhold took the beating that Machida did, he'd be looking pretty rough by the fifth round too. Assuming he even makes it that far.

I disagree. I do not think he would beat Jones, but it is not hype to presume a MW champion can defeat a LHW champion, even if that presumption is wrong.

This. I don't think Weidman would beat Jones either but given that we've never actually seen Weidman lose I don't think it's the most ludicrous idea ever. Whether I agree with it or not.

I don't think Machida slowed down solely because of his gas tank. He's made it 5 rounds before just fine, at both 205 and 185. If Rockhold took the beating that Machida did, he'd be looking pretty rough by the fifth round too. Assuming he even makes it that far.
I agree. Lyoto got busted up pretty good. I knew he had a decent chin, but no one expected it to be that good. It definitely made his cardio look bad, when that wasn't necessarily the issue.

I agree. Lyoto got busted up pretty good. I knew he had a decent chin, but no one expected it to be that good. It definitely made his cardio look bad, when that wasn't necessarily the issue.

He's been knocked out once in nearly 30 fights, and that was from a Shogun punch to the temple. The "glass chin" accusations never had any merit to them, and Machida definitely showed a good chin vs Weidman. Some of those shots clearly hurt and had him wobbled, only for him to go on and win the next round decisively.

What a fight, really.

Saying he can beat JBJ is hype in its purest.

I bet you said the same thing when people thought he could beat Silva and Machida. Again, I wouldn't argue that Weidman beats Jones. But that's about a 3 or 4 out of 10 on a "crazy things said on Sherdog" scale.

I bet you said the same thing when people thought he could beat Silva and Machida. Again, I wouldn't argue that Weidman beats Jones. But that's about a 3 or 4 out of 10 on a "crazy things said on Sherdog" scale.

Its actually as crazy as it gets.

Weidman has done nothing to prove he can survive against the greatest fighter on the planet, let alone beat him.

And no, I didnt say that actually. You can look up my posts if you like, but I give Chris his due respect. Im just not an idiot, therefore I dont say he's an all time great when he's taken on 2 greats in their mid-30s, and a only one other worthwhile true middleweight.

Last edited:
Back