International WEF study: USA ranks closest to "ideal state"

No surprise here. With all its faults, it is still the best country (government) in the world. That is why most people who can, want to move here.

I remember working at the U.S. Embassy in Brazil, and every morning seeing the huge line of people waiting to get their tourist/work visa to come to the U.S. Drove around all the other major embassies in Brasilia and never saw any lines there. ...and another large caravan from Honduras making its way to the U.S. border as we speak.

Same with the US embassy in Manila.

It is a running joke that if the US stopped requiring Visas to enter their country the only people that will be left in the Philippines will be people committed into asylums.

The judge thing is interesting because the Supreme Court is the only mandatory federal court. All of the lower level courts were created by Congress. Congress could vote to switch the system from Presidential appointment to judicial recommendation. I agree that would be a better system.

On the pardon thing, only our President can do so. It's an interesting power and I'd never thought about it in banana republic terms but I can see the parallel. Something to think about, I guess.
Governors too, for non-federal crimes. Like that governor who freed Cyntoia Brown. In that specific case it was pretty harmless, I see more of a problem when politicians pardon other politicians and businessmen. I think Trump also had a series of sketchy pardons.
Imagine if they prove Trump was involved with Russia and he resigns and gets pardoned by Pence. Pretty weird.

No surprise here. With all its faults, it is still the best country (government) in the world. That is why most people who can, want to move here.

I remember working at the U.S. Embassy in Brazil, and every morning seeing the huge line of people waiting to get their tourist/work visa to come to the U.S. Drove around all the other major embassies in Brasilia and never saw any lines there. ...and another large caravan from Honduras making its way to the U.S. border as we speak.
To be fair, you do not need a visa for many other countries.
1280px-Visa_requirements_for_Brazilian_citizens.png

You only need Visa for the grey ones. Blue is just ID, Green is passport, the other lighter colors you can get some kind of e-visa or similar.

Governors too, for non-federal crimes. Like that governor who freed Cyntoia Brown. In that specific case it was pretty harmless, I see more of a problem when politicians pardon other politicians and businessmen. I think Trump also had a series of sketchy pardons.
Imagine if they prove Trump was involved with Russia and he resigns and gets pardoned by Pence. Pretty weird.
I was thinking federal but, yeah, governors too.

Weird, I can see that.

No country is perfect, but I'm not surprised. I think overall we get more right than we do wrong. I just hope we're not slipping badly.

Back