We need to talk about the IV ban

Magx951

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Why do so many noob sherdoggers attribute everything to USADA when it comes to making weight?

the IV ban was completely unnecessary with how the weight cutting works in the UFC, and it's caused a lot of havoc on fighters bodies.

Not every fighter who looks smaller is "Post-USADA", they just had to adjust so that they could make weight.

Vitor had the best adjustment.

Belfortss.jpg

I don't mind it, if you're cutting all that weight to gain an advantage, then you should have to deal with the consequences of the weight cut without being able to rehydrate intravenously.

Fucking hate the IV ban,

We should celebrate the fact guys can somehow cut 30lbs in a few hours and fight the next day for the glory of the Just Bleed God.

Its an entertainment sport for fuck sake, they should be handing out TRT laced ice cream to fighters.

Why do so many noob sherdoggers attribute everything to USADA when it comes to making weight?

the IV ban was completely unnecessary with how the weight cutting works in the UFC, and it's caused a lot of havoc on fighters bodies.

Not every fighter who looks smaller is "Post-USADA", they just had to adjust so that they could make weight.
So you're saying that fighters cutting less weight is a bad thing??

So you're saying that fighters cutting less weight is a bad thing??

what I'm saying is that if they're allowing people to do harsh weight cuts (which they are) then there is no good reason for IVs to be banned.

If they wanted people to actually fight near their proper weight, they would have switched to a system like oneFC uses.

what I'm saying is that if they're allowing people to do harsh weight cuts (which they are) then there is no good reason for IVs to be banned.

If they wanted people to actually fight near their proper weight, they would have switched to a system like oneFC uses.

That's a good point. They allow dangerous behavior but not methods to make it less dangerous. Cutting a lot of weight is dangerous. IVs can help with that. There is a disconnect there. It is like allowing anorexia but not allowing them to eat.

in my perfect world, guys who weigh 190-200 would fight each other at 185 instead of fighting each other at 170.

but of course the devil is in the (implementation) details. there are several examples of how this can be done, but so far none have taken hold across multiple AC's. and of course that's a different conversation for a different thread.

the IV ban is, IMO, lipstick on the pig. i don't care if they do or don't have it. i've heard arguments it and the earlier weigh-ins help fighters, and i've heard arguments it and the earlier weigh-ins hurt fighters. both argument make decent points.

Last edited:
they can still use rectal rehydration. not as effective as an IV but it is effective.

oh and by the way, just a nitpick, but if you're going to go around calling other sherdogges noobs then you should probably know that the IV ban is part of USADA.

source

USADA adheres to the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) code when it comes to prohibited substances, and that prohibited list bans “intravenous infusions and/or injections” of more than 50 milliliters, which is less than two ounces, in any six-hour period. It makes an exception only for athletes who have received a therapeutic-use exemption, or for those who received the IV “in the course of hospital admissions, surgical procedures or clinical investigations.”

That pretty much shuts down the common practice of post-weigh-in IV use, at least in theory.
so when these so-called noobs "attribute everything to USADA when it comes to making weight" it does, in fact, include the IV ban. cheers.

Last edited:
if you need a IV after making weight somethings wrong ( wrong weight class maybe)

I had no problem with IVs. The ban would have interfered more if the fighters were not given an extra 8 or 9 hours to re-hydrate. It just makes sense to weigh in first thing in the morning.

Back