we don't need interim titles, we can replace is with something better.

revoltub

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
the interim title in mma and boxing is just a joke.

A refuse to let mma go down the path of my favorite sport, boxing. I hate seeing titles be degraded and ran down like back alley sluts in atlantic city.

sure, ufc doesnt have alphabet titles like in boxing, but the interim championship is one step toward that road. There should be no reason to have a "bench warmer champion" just in case the real champion moves wieght classes or is out for a certain amount of time.

i understand some fighters take long to defend. but we owe it to these fighters who give us a reason to talk on these forums, and get excited, more time between fights. I know it sucks, but Im not the one putting my health on the line.

I understand the interim title is there to take the place of a retired or out of commission champ, but adding more titles just waters down the meaning of a title.

what we need instead is number 1 contender matches, in which dana or WME is willing to sign their own name on a paper that says that the winner of these matches WILL get the next title shot.

if the ufc knows a fighter is moving up or vacating a title, we should have the number 1 and number 2 fighter duke it out to determine who the next champion is. This is one thing from boxing I think is a good thing to bring to mma.

It's fine how it is. UFC just needs to stop changing things for popular fighters.

Dana needs to stop promising title shots and then taking them away.

I think constant moaning about interim titles is a form of mass OCD... There is absolutely no good reason to get rid of them.

Replace it with Intercontinental titles. I've been saying this for years.

Unification bouts are easy to market. I don't like them much personally, but if they make money, I guess they make sense. As you said, at the end of the day, we're not the ones putting our health on the line. So if interim titles help bring in some money for the fighters, then I'm all for them, despite not being a fan of them.

Back