WBC May Create New Division, Split Heavyweight Class in Two

Please explain further oh wise one....

Having a huge weight advantage and knowing how to use it makes for some very unfair fights. Look how Klit managed to push opponents down and hold when they got close like an octopus for years of easy dominance. After Emanuel Steward taught him to fight big and tall he was unstoppable when he had his gigantic size advantage. Only when he began fighting guys his own size did he start having real fights. Fury sucks ass but he won because Klit couldn't use his size/weight/height advantage like he was so used to doing for so many years. It's not that he was better than everyone else. He was good but his size was usually insurmountable.

Could someone 5 inches shorter and 50 pounds lighter beat Klit? Yes it could happen. That wouldn't mean it was an fair fight. It would just mean that someone overcame a huge disadvantage to win.

If they really cared about the size issue then you wouldn't want to create another division, the simplest and most logical solution would just be to up cruiser to 205 or 210. No new weight divisions, smaller hw's can fight at cw instead, if they want to. There's just this weird stigma when it comes to the cw division, like "oh you're a good fighter but you're a cw, gross." A lot of great fighters have been or are cw's, but hw is sexier, and apparently super hw is considered cooler than just leaving the class as is or just upping cw a few lbs and let talented fighters fight at their own weight. People are obsessed with hw's, I get it but I don't get it.

Heavyweights used to be the casual fans bread and butter. People wanted to see giants and knockouts. It was such a spectacle when the division was full of great competition. Plus the fact that judges were very often taken out of the equation because fights didn't usually go the distance was awesome. Being heavyweight champ of the world was the end all be all of combat sports. Maybe the biggest crown in all sports actually. But that was a long time ago. Champs fighting every good opponent finally ended when Lennox Lewis hung up his gloves.

Heavyweights used to be the casual fans bread and butter. People wanted to see giants and knockouts. It was such a spectacle when the division was full of great competition. Plus the fact that judges were very often taken out of the equation because fights didn't usually go the distance was awesome. Being heavyweight champ of the world was the end all be all of combat sports. Maybe the biggest crown in all sports actually. But that was a long time ago. Champs fighting every good opponent finally ended when Lennox Lewis hung up his gloves.

yeah it's a great achievement, being a great champ at the highest weight, I get why that's attractive. But as you said it's been awhile since anyone truly special has been able to do that. Wlad was really good but didn't have anybody else to really challenge him, and despite all the ko's, I never enjoyed his style. We do have a decent crop of cruisers, though, who always get overlooked by casuals.

Also Parker, Deontay, and Joshua are all pretty young, especially for hw's all seem to have solid careers ahead of them so maybe it'll get better eventually if/when they start fighting each other. maybe I'm just trying to be optimistic but if one of those three can beat the other two then we might have a superstar on our hands.

This should be fun when a guy holding multiple titles gets a WBA mandatory against a fighter in an entirely different division, according to the WBC.

This should be fun when a guy holding multiple titles gets a WBA mandatory against a fighter in an entirely different division, according to the WBC.

If the WBC does this and the other major bodies don't adopt it (at least not immediately) then I'd be looking to win their title and any of the other 3 major ones. Then a fighter could claim that he's professional boxing's first two-division world champion at Heavyweight & Super Heavyweight without even having to move up or down. All they'd have to do is unify by collecting 2 of the 4 major alphabet world titles. History is made! LOL

More weight classes, more belts, just what boxing fans have been calling for... Go home WBC your drunk

Having a huge weight advantage and knowing how to use it makes for some very unfair fights. Look how Klit managed to push opponents down and hold when they got close like an octopus for years of easy dominance. After Emanuel Steward taught him to fight big and tall he was unstoppable when he had his gigantic size advantage. Only when he began fighting guys his own size did he start having real fights. Fury sucks ass but he won because Klit couldn't use his size/weight/height advantage like he was so used to doing for so many years. It's not that he was better than everyone else. He was good but his size was usually insurmountable.

Could someone 5 inches shorter and 50 pounds lighter beat Klit? Yes it could happen. That wouldn't mean it was an fair fight. It would just mean that someone overcame a huge disadvantage to win.

Struggling to see your point...some big guys just cant fight, just because fat guys like Chisora, Whyte and Stivernne are a bit tougher than other guys, does not make them good fighters

I could also add a HUGE amount of Euro fighters into that list that Wlad has beaten

A super heavyweight division has been talked about for 15 years, it wont solve the problem, it will just mean we get a fat heavyweight division between cruiserweight and the new division...and nobody weill give a fuck about the fights

This is a terrible idea, and I can't even come up with a single logical reason why they would consider it. The point has already been made, but all the good heavyweights fall within like 25 pounds of each other. There are no great 280 pound heavyweights.

That's not the point. The point is that if you're naturally a 215 lber, you have no chance in today's boxing. So the sixties and seventies HWs would have a huge disadvantage today because of all the giants. So basically we're depriving boxing of talent by forcing natural 215 lbers to compete against 250 lbers. Why?

dumb idea, real dumb. just because there isn't enough talent and the big guys are dominating, that will not help.

That's not the point. The point is that if you're naturally a 215 lber, you have no chance in today's boxing. So the sixties and seventies HWs would have a huge disadvantage today because of all the giants. So basically we're depriving boxing of talent by forcing natural 215 lbers to compete against 250 lbers. Why?

If you're 215 then fight at cruiser.

I like it, 205 to 215, great fights. Guys will keep there speed and energy while bringing big power.

I like it, 205 to 215, great fights. Guys will keep there speed and energy while bringing big power.

I would think that CW's weigh above 200 pounds on fight night. So extending the weight limit doesn't seem like the obvious choice.

At least that's how a lot of boxers it in the lower weight classes.

I want to see 2017 Tyson Fury vs Andy Ruiz.

They should be going in the reverse direction and unifying weight classes so that there's one at every ten pounds before heavyweight, like what MMA is about to do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Konster1
Back