Ways to add protein to food to food that otherwise doesn't have a lot

BJJscion

Blue Belt
Reaction score
So, say you just made a helping of ramen noodles (because you're cheap). At the same time you're looking to add a bit of muscle (yes, you're lifting weights and your primary protein sources are chicken, peanut butter, and milk). You look at the nutrional facts on the ramen package and the protein content leaves something to be desired.

Same deal with green beans, too.

Is there stuff, or ways, that can be added to cheap (but decently healthy) foods that could use a boost in protein?

Last edited:
I add an egg or two into my ramen. Easy. Call it ramen-foo-yung maybe?

Whey or an egg in oatmeal too.

I find I can mix eggs and beans into things without filling myself up to quickly. I like to take a whey+milk shake with each meal too to keep the protein numbers up.

Green beans + cubed ham or chopped bacon (depending on your macro, w/ or w/o fat)
add some spices and wala

I like mine curried flavor and spicy, so what I do is

green beans
bacon and ham
green/red bell pepper
onion
garlic
mushroom
yellow squash
zucchini

spices:
garlic powder
curry powder
cayenne pepper powder
paprika
black pepper
chili powder
saracha sauce
aji amarillo
cumin

45-1hr slow cooked / smoked
do not add salt - beans and bacon or ham has enough salt/sodium.
very flavorful, spicy with a kick at the end but not super hot at all.

Two quick and easy ways to add protein are with tuna or ground beef. Buy in bulk from a place like Costco or Wal Mart. Add a can of tuna to anything. Freeze beef in 1.5-2 pound packages, brown anytime you need it, and leave leftover in the fridge to add to meals.

So, say you just made a helping of ramen noodles (because you're cheap). At the same time you're looking to add a bit of muscle (yes, you're lifting weights and your primary protein sources are chicken, peanut butter, and milk). You look at the nutrional facts on the ramen package and the protein content leaves something to be desired.

My go-to when I was a young whipper snapper was a lunch consisting of: 1 package of ramen, 2 cans of chunk tuna, and one vending machine size bag of cheeze-its (crushed up and added, like crackers to soup). It made this salty, tasty, paste that I used to wolf down with abandon. I'd chase it with a protein shake (strawberry whey and water back then, barf).

I'd get all of the shit in bulk for insanely cheap and have my desk at work stocked for months.

+1 for canned tuna or canned chicken. Pinto Beans and Cottage cheese are fairly cheap Protein sources that can be added to a lot of meals.

Here's one of my fav cheap/easy meals for Breakfast:

1/2 Cup Quick Oats
1 cup of Water
1 Scoop Whey Protein Powder
1tbsp Natural Peanut butter

Microwave for 1min 30 seconds

Add one serving of chopped strawberries and cinnamon to taste

^ You can also add a serving liquid egg whites AFTER you heat up the Oats to score 6g extra Protein. Make sure the egg whites say "Pasteurized" on the box.

Macros: Approx. 60g carbs, 10g Fat, 35g Protein

Wrap whatever you are eating in bacon.

Canned Chicken - add into soups, salads, on sandwiches, anywhere. It's relatively cheap and good.
Canned Tuna - same as canned chicken, but I prefer the chicken.
Eggs - egg ramen as mentioned before in thread, eggs in salads, soups, shakes, anywhere!
Whey protein - I put mine in my cereal in the morning, or into oatmeal, or just as plain ole shakes.
Peanut butter - pbj sandwiches, will melt into hot things like oatmeal, making it even tastier imo, also, peanut butter used as dip for apples and carrots is good. Great source of protein and good fats.
Ensure or any cheap nutrition shake - check out wal mart and get some meal-in-a-can shakes. Usually very high in protein, just don't use as directed - use for additional protein not meal replacement lol.

I think about each meal I'm eating and how I can bump up the protein and I always find a way using atleast one of the items in the list above.

Back