Watching ibjff some thoughts

Kowboy Karl

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Poor rodolfo, just can't get it done against buchecha

Both guys amazing

Nice ring girls medal presenters

Wtf is up with the butt flup footsey berembolo only strategy? Boring to watch.

Reaping should not be allowed not sure if a instant disqualified status is fair. Penalty would be better and a restart

Get the refs some special non shoe looking house shoes or something, they look funny in black dress socks trying to drag guys around lol

Commentators were boring

All in all I enjoyed it.

yes there were several DQ's, but even on the earlier days, thursday/Friday, far fewer DQ's then the 1 day at Vegas Open. It seems they have adjusted their strategy and took more negative points from athletes over the instant DQ

I feel that Rodolfo is a way more dominant fighter than Buchecha. I think Rodolfo submitted everyone and didn't get a point scored against him. He dominates guys that Buchecha has problems with.

But there isn't much Rodolfo can do now with Buchecha. Beforehand Rodolfo had the advantage at the stand up phase and would normally have to pull guard. Buchecha has proved now that he doesn't need to pull guard against Rodolfo and doesn't have to be too worried about his take down game.

Unless Rodolfo changes the way he plays guard, I can't imagine him beating Buchecha any time soon. If he does change his guard it would need to use the lapel through the legs.

They called stalling a lot more, which was good. The reffing overall seemed to be better, except for the Keenan debacle.

I feel that Rodolfo is a way more dominant fighter than Buchecha. I think Rodolfo submitted everyone and didn't get a point scored against him. He dominates guys that Buchecha has problems with.

But there isn't much Rodolfo can do now with Buchecha. Beforehand Rodolfo had the advantage at the stand up phase and would normally have to pull guard. Buchecha has proved now that he doesn't need to pull guard against Rodolfo and doesn't have to be too worried about his take down game.

Unless Rodolfo changes the way he plays guard, I can't imagine him beating Buchecha any time soon. If he does change his guard it would need to use the lapel through the legs.

yeah pretty much! I guess styles make it.

I'm really impressed with keenan and how he's looked against Buchceca from ADW pro and the 2014 worlds. he looked great.

Reaping should not be allowed not sure if a instant disqualified status is fair. Penalty would be better and a restart

Why should reaping not be allowed again?

All the super horrible injuries it produces on a daily and weekly basis in academies and competitions that allow it worldwide?

All the Sambo guys who's careers are ruined from the horrors of reaping?

Do go on.

whats w the crap w the mendes bros did in the finals (gui vs paulo and rafa vs cobrinha)? Rafa barely even attacked and I thought Paulo shouldve won over Gui.

Why should reaping not be allowed again?

All the super horrible injuries it produces on a daily and weekly basis in academies and competitions that allow it worldwide?

All the Sambo guys who's careers are ruined from the horrors of reaping?

Do go on.

Why risk it?

Two knuckle head purple belts from another gym joined mine a gfteam affiliate and they both reaped in practice and tore guys acls

whats w the crap w the mendes bros did in the finals (gui vs paulo and rafa vs cobrinha)? Rafa barely even attacked and I thought Paulo shouldve won over Gui.

I think Gui clearly won but I thought Joao should have won vs Malfacine.

Yeah, I understand being happy about a win no matter how you get it, but Keenan's opponent acted like he just pulled off some amazing sub instead of just flopping to get a DQ.

I don't think the Mendes brothers attacked any less than their opponents. If there is a problem it's with 50/50 because it's easy for you to sweep but then also be swept so they try to sneak an advantage in-footlocker or semi sweep to stay ahead. In fact it was Rafa's ability to attack toward the end that broke the cycle, denied Cobrhina one of his sweep opportunities and won Rafa the match.

Why risk it?

Two knuckle head purple belts from another gym joined mine a gfteam affiliate and they both reaped in practice and tore guys acls

Why risk it? It's fucking grappling not golf... Under that conception soccer shouldn't be played either, guys get horrible injuries all the time, or judo or wrestling hell any contact sport had a high risk health involved, and experience has shown they reaping is not destroying legs around... I agree that under 18 should be banned, he'll make it color belts banned too, but black belts? Nop....

At this point I'm over complaining about IBJJF finals matches. They are what they are, and they have been for a long time. They're rarely exciting, and by and large I don't even blame the competitors. Rafa finished all four of his matches up until the final, I think Cobrinha finished four too, if not three, but yet everybody knew the final would probably look like that.

It's just what you get when everyone is the very best and there's a rule system that allows people to score for almost doing a variety of different things. To me the issue is the rules and scoring.

Honestly this the least I've spent watching an IBJJF event since 2010 maybe, and I couldn't have been happier with how I spent my weekend (not watching). I've wasted some weekends on Worlds or Pans before and then it's Monday and I didn't even enjoy myself that much. I always enjoy ADCC. Anyways, this year I watched maybe 4-5 hours total over the weekend, and I went back and watched the finals matches that I wanted to see, today. Most of them went how I expected.

I think overall this has been the best world's for a long time.

Those footlocks that gui and Paulo did would of got most people to tap. It's just that they don't seem to tap to leg locks at that weight for some reason.

To be honest, the more I watch the miyaos the more I don't like them. They seem to force people into boring situations or force them to be boring to defend their game.

I wasnt a fan of the way keenan fought lo. The guard didn't bother me, it's the trying to get the points in the last minute and ride out the rest of the match, but even trying to pass the guard.

I think overall this has been the best world's for a long time.

Those footlocks that gui and Paulo did would of got most people to tap. It's just that they don't seem to tap to leg locks at that weight for some reason.

To be honest, the more I watch the miyaos the more I don't like them. They seem to force people into boring situations or force them to be boring to defend their game.

I wasnt a fan of the way keenan fought lo. The guard didn't bother me, it's the trying to get the points in the last minute and ride out the rest of the match, but even trying to pass the guard.

How is that a valid complaint? People play a certain way against the Miyaos because if they used their normal A game, they'd get choked out. It is evidence of how good the Miyaos are. Shouldn't you dislike their opponents, the ones that stall against them because they're scared of getting choked?

At this point I'm over complaining about IBJJF finals matches. They are what they are, and they have been for a long time. They're rarely exciting, and by and large I don't even blame the competitors. Rafa finished all four of his matches up until the final, I think Cobrinha finished four too, if not three, but yet everybody knew the final would probably look like that.

It's just what you get when everyone is the very best and there's a rule system that allows people to score for almost doing a variety of different things. To me the issue is the rules and scoring.

Honestly this the least I've spent watching an IBJJF event since 2010 maybe, and I couldn't have been happier with how I spent my weekend (not watching). I've wasted some weekends on Worlds or Pans before and then it's Monday and I didn't even enjoy myself that much. I always enjoy ADCC. Anyways, this year I watched maybe 4-5 hours total over the weekend, and I went back and watched the finals matches that I wanted to see, today. Most of them went how I expected.

I completely agree with you on this...I wont say I know alot about BJJ, ive been doing it for only 1.5 years and this is my first worlds i went to.

What I heard is that there were a lot of people who wanted to change the rules to stop this from occurring. But obv there are competitors who like these rules as it seems to benefit them (wont mention the names I heard), and as a fan who enjoys watching, its frustrating and boring to watch. Its like watching hockey when one team takes the lead, and then they just continue to dump the puck in the opponents zone and sit back.

I really don't get this sentiment or the general complaining about worlds in general.

I thought the overall event was top notch. Lots of innovative techniques, black belt debuts for the Miyaos and Keenan, and plenty of awesome matches, including a few of the finals matches. There are so many solid innovators in the game now, it really makes worlds awesome to watch -- I feel like the level elevates substantially every year. I mean, Lo is among the best of the best and it seemed like Keenan was able to sweep him at will with his weird worm guard and unorthodox transitions. Rafa clearly seemed to be on higher level than Cobrinha and was actually able to wriggle free of 50/50 for once into that crazy berimbolo / crab ride (which made the match for me).

The overall event is getting more and more professional as well -- refs are better, rules are improving, and the broadcast / commentary on the stream was awesome as usual (thank you Sean Williams). No idea what you guys want out there. Yeah there's some stalling and 50/50 but what sport doesn't have down time on occasion?

Back