Washing your gi every day after class?

It will probably shrink a little, but a good bjj/judo gi should be built to last. If you're really worried just purchase a five dollar gi from ebay and switch every other day.

I wash mine (matsuru semi competition judo gi) every 2 trainings ... if you hang dry it outside it should not shrink (maybe only the first time you wash it a tiny bit) ... depends also a bit on the overall quality of your gi

I only wash once a week. I am too lazy and too cheap to wash every day after practice (I train 6 days a week, so that would get really expensive).

naskwon14g said:
^
You must be one hell of stinky muthafucka man.

You would be suprised. If you hang it up as soon as you get home, and let it dry outside, it won't get mildewed and stink. Its when they are wadded up in a gym bag at the bottom of a closet that they start to stink.

Yeah, it's definately a problem when it gets left in the bag for a day or two. Open it up and it's like getting punched in the face! I sweat a lot, so it just depends on how bad it gets during class. If I feel it needs it, I'll wash after only one time. Sometimes I'll spray a little Febreze on it and then hand it up to dry.

Depending on the quality of the gi, the amount of washing will most likely determine how soon you will be replacing it, too.

Its an atama gold weave... My question was geared torwards if the marterial would go to shit.

Washing it everyday in a washing machine will weaken the material but it should still last you years. Wash the damn thing and be kind to your sparring partners. You can hand wash and hang dry and it will last for ages.

www.SSFgear.com

Yea, I just dry it out post class. Works pretty well.

I own 3 Gi's and I use to wash my Gi as soon as I come back home from BJJ class.

Hey guys!
Jim from Ground Force Kimonos here.
The worlds first and only HEMP fiber Jiu-jitsu Gi.
Just had to write because of all the talk about washing the gi and odor problems.
I think I may have somewhat of a solution...
My kimono: 100% Hemp fiber gi top and 55% / 45% hemp/cotton pants.
The bennefits of using hemp for a fabric to make gis are hard to beat.
HEMP(the stalk of the cannabis plant, w/ 0% THC, and NO!!! YOU CAN'T SMOKE It!!! ) is 4x's stronger than cotton.
Which allows me to make a much lighter training gi, great for hot weather. Hemp is porous, so when you train, it absorbs sweat much better than cotton. Also,being that it's porous air passes through it helping to cool you much better than cotton.
Hemp is what is called an "Anti-microbial" fiber. Which means mold, fungus and bacteria can't continue to live and breed once it has reached the surface of the fiber. So if you forget to wash your gi and leave it in your bag it will not smell when you pull it out to train.
Hemp is also one of those fabrics that gets stronger when it's wet, so you can wash in HOT and tumble dry on HIGH for years and years. As the fabric is washed , it gets softer and softer yet retaining its strength. This is the same fiber that LEVI'S were first made from, and the first American Flags.
We are in production making our first batch right now and I'm eagerly awaiting their arrival.
If you want more info go to the Equipt. section on "Ground Force Kimonos,gis made from hemp?" or e-mail me Thanks , Jim
Ground Force Kimonos [email protected]

ground force said:
Hey guys!
Jim from Ground Force Kimonos here.
The worlds first and only HEMP fiber Jiu-jitsu Gi.
Just had to write because of all the talk about washing the gi and odor problems.
I think I may have somewhat of a solution...
My kimono: 100% Hemp fiber gi top and 55% / 45% hemp/cotton pants.
The bennefits of using hemp for a fabric to make gis are hard to beat.
HEMP(the stalk of the cannabis plant, w/ 0% THC, and NO!!! YOU CAN'T SMOKE It!!! ) is 4x's stronger than cotton.
Which allows me to make a much lighter training gi, great for hot weather. Hemp is porous, so when you train, it absorbs sweat much better than cotton. Also,being that it's porous air passes through it helping to cool you much better than cotton.
Hemp is what is called an "Anti-microbial" fiber. Which means mold, fungus and bacteria can't continue to live and breed once it has reached the surface of the fiber. So if you forget to wash your gi and leave it in your bag it will not smell when you pull it out to train.
Hemp is also one of those fabrics that gets stronger when it's wet, so you can wash in HOT and tumble dry on HIGH for years and years. As the fabric is washed , it gets softer and softer yet retaining its strength. This is the same fiber that LEVI'S were first made from, and the first American Flags.
We are in production making our first batch right now and I'm eagerly awaiting their arrival.
If you want more info go to the Equipt. section on "Ground Force Kimonos,gis made from hemp?" or e-mail me Thanks , Jim
Ground Force Kimonos [email protected]
Umm, this might be a stupid question...but WTF DID THAT HAV TO DO WITH MY QUESTION!

scorcho said:
I only wash once a week. I am too lazy and too cheap to wash every day after practice (I train 6 days a week, so that would get really expensive).
gross, your the guy no one wants to roll with because you smell like my nuts after a hard practice.

i have 4 gis and rotate them in the wash. i train 4 days a week and wear a new gay every time.

I have two white ones i wash together and then a blue and black i wash together... No bleeding problems

Weonlywonsixtwo said:
Umm, this might be a stupid question...but WTF DID THAT HAV TO DO WITH MY QUESTION!
Just letting you know there's an alternative out there bro. No need for haste.

I wash my gi about 2 times a week which is after every other class. It doesn't stink too bad and I just spray some febreeze on there if it is stinking.

Weonlywonsixtwo said:
Right, well I have an atama.
So do I , it's a well made gi. just don't bleach it when you wash and it should last for years.

Ground force... you've got to let us know when those come out man... Ive been telling guys at my club about it and im interested for to see one and if they live up to all the hype youve been spitting.

Hustle!

It's out of my hands at this point, my manufacturer takes some time but quality is outstanding.
I will post as soon as I know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back