Opinion Was WWII the last good major war for the US?

Was WWII the last good major war for the US?

• Total voters
This superiority complex some of you have is quite disgusting.

Not as disgusting as trying to equate the Allies with literally the most sadistic and evil regimes in human history(which is really fucking saying something).

I mean, it's difficult to even say "good war", but let's face it here, the atrocities the Germans pulled off trumped anything anyone else did in any modern war. They systematically were on a crusade to cleanse and exterminate an entire race of people. They would have 100% pulled it off had the allies not intervened. Then when you read about things like unit 731 and the rape of Nanking, yikes. It's like Japan was doing their damndest to out do the Germans.

Were there war crimes commited by allied troops? Sure. Did the A bombs need to be dropped? That's highly debatble. The thing is, when you read books on it, watch documentaries and study it from both sides, it's quite clear who the "real bad guys" were in that war. I can't even say good guys cause there's really not much good that comes from any war.

You just gotta ask yourself. What if the axis won the war? What kind of a world do you think you would be living in right now?

There's bad, then there's just plain, outright evil.

<PlusJuan>

There's a reason that, even today, nearly 80 years after the War, the Nazis are still regarded as the Gold Standard for sheer evil. They fucking earned that title. And the Japanese took Silver without breaking a sweat.

I mean, it's difficult to even say "good war", but let's face it here, the atrocities the Germans pulled off trumped anything anyone else did in any modern war. They systematically were on a crusade to cleanse and exterminate an entire race of people. They would have 100% pulled it off had the allies not intervened. Then when you read about things like unit 731 and the rape of Nanking, yikes. It's like Japan was doing their damndest to out do the Germans.

Were there war crimes commited by allied troops? Sure. Did the A bombs need to be dropped? That's highly debatble. The thing is, when you read books on it, watch documentaries and study it from both sides, it's quite clear who the "real bad guys" were in that war. I can't even say good guys cause there's really not much good that comes from any war.

That's a fair assessment that I pretty much agree with.

You just gotta ask yourself. What if the axis won the war? What kind of a world do you think you would be living in right now?

There's no way to know what the world would be like if the Axis won. I could imagine things not being good.

But how often have you stopped to consider how the Allies have shaped the world. Didn't Communist Russia take over several countries in Eastern Europe? Didn't the West go on to create the Vietnam war resulting in over a million deaths? Didn't the US begin subverting governments in the middle east, building up dictators, and building up terror groups? Didn't the US eventually invade, attack, and occupy several countries around the world? Didn't the establishment of Israel create wars and endless crises in the middle east? So on and so on.

Sure, you could argue worse might have happened if the Axis won. But you still have to acknowledge a bunch of terrible things have happened by as a result of the Allied powers winning the war.

None of which justifies starting a war that killed tens of millions and committing the worst atrocities in history. Your argument is as pathetic as trying to excuse the crimes of a serial killer because they were abused as a child themselves.

Im not excusing the serial killer. I am holding the child abuser accountable. I am also pointing out that the child abuser was also a bit of a serial killer themselves. You're justifying, or at least ignoring, the child abuser to fit your narrative.

Also, our own ally committed worse atrocities than Germany and Japan. Ever hear of Bolshevism?

Britain, America and many other nations suffered badly during the Great Depression. We didn't elect a Fascist government and invade other countries.

Yes but these nations weren't oppressed, abused, and exploited by others for 30 years. If that would have happened to the US we would have eventually went on the offensive as well.

That's a fair assessment that I pretty much agree with.

There's no way to know what the world would be like if the Axis won. I could imagine things not being good.

But how often have you stopped to consider how the Allies have shaped the world. Didn't Communist Russia take over several countries in Eastern Europe? Didn't the West go on to create the Vietnam war resulting in over a million deaths? Didn't the US begin subverting governments in the middle east, building up dictators, and building up terror groups? Didn't the US eventually invade, attack, and occupy several countries around the world? Didn't the establishment of Israel create wars and endless crises in the middle east? So on and so on.

Sure, you could argue worse might have happened if the Axis won. But you still have to acknowledge a bunch of terrible things have happened by as a result of the Allied powers winning the war.

I do consider how the allies shaped the world. Thing is, like I said, there's bad, then there is plain, outright evil. I believe we got the much better end of the stick most definitely and believe that shit would have been much, much more grim had the allies not won.

It's tough to even think about how crazy things could have turned out.

Im not excusing the serial killer. I am holding the child abuser accountable. I am also pointing out that the child abuser was also a bit of a serial killer themselves. You're justifying, or at least ignoring, the child abuser to fit your narrative.

Also, our own ally committed worse atrocities than Germany and Japan. Ever hear of Bolshevism?

Yes but these nations weren't oppressed, abused, and exploited by others for 30 years. If that would have happened to the US we would have eventually went on the offensive as well.

I'm saying being abused doesn't give one a free pass if one becomes an abuser oneself. Sadly, plenty of people have been abused. The vast majority did not go on to harm other people. You're trying to justify the Germans committing the worst crimes in human history because they were punished for losing WWI. A war they started in the first place(are you starting to see a pattern here yet?:rolleyes:)

There were Fascist movements in both the UK(the Blackshirts)and the US(German-American Bund). But they were minor political movements, rejected by the majority. Only the Germans were dumb enough to take that ball and run it back to the end zone. It takes a special kind of stupid to believe the myth of the tall, blond Aryan Ubermensch when the guy feeding you that line is short-arsed, skinny, fuck-ugly brunette.

The alliance with the Soviets was always a marriage of convenience. Britain and America didn't like the bastards, but they were useful as cannon fodder. As soon as WWII was finished, the UK and USA began fighting the Cold War, which ultimately led to the fall of the Soviet Union.

Last edited:
I'm saying being abused doesn't give one a free pass if one becomes an abuser oneself. Sadly, plenty of people have been abused. The vast majority did not go on to harm other people. You're trying to justify the Germans committing the worst crimes in human history because they were punished for losing WWI. A war they started in the first place(are you starting to see a pattern here yet?:rolleyes:)

I repeat: Im not excusing the serial killer. Im holding the child abuser accountable while also pointing out that the child abuser was a bit of a serial killer as well. You're actually defending the child abuser and justifying the serial killings. You actually defend the oppression, robbery, and exploitation of Germany. You actually justify nuking and terror bombing hundreds of thousands of women, children, elderly, and defenseless human beings.

The alliance with the Soviets was always a marriage of convenience. Britain and America didn't like the bastards, but they were useful as cannon fodder. As soon as WWII was finished, the UK and USA began fighting the Cold War, which ultimately led to the fall of the Soviet Union.

Cannon fodder? You do realize the average Russian soldier was just a regular person who only knew what his government and media told him? Just like your average American, British, German, Japanese, Chinese soldier they had no choice in what their governments did or whether to fight or not. And you call these regular people who suffered under Bolshevism and then thrust into war "cannon fodder"? Look how depraved you are.

You don't care about German women being mass graped. Because deep down you think they deserved it. You don't care about the people of Dresden, Hamburg, Tokyo, Hiroshima, Nagasaki, and others being completely slaughtered because again you think they deserved it. You view the Russian people as cannon fodder whose lives can just be sacrificed.

Lets be honest here you're just full of hatred. This is what American propaganda and rhetoric leads to. It leads to hatred and dehumanization of entire races of people.

I repeat: Im not excusing the serial killer. Im holding the child abuser accountable while also pointing out that the child abuser was a bit of a serial killer as well. You're actually defending the child abuser and justifying the serial killings. You actually defend the oppression, robbery, and exploitation of Germany. You actually justify nuking and terror bombing hundreds of thousands of women, children, elderly, and defenseless human beings.

Cannon fodder? You do realize the average Russian soldier was just a regular person who only knew what his government and media told him? Just like your average American, British, German, Japanese, Chinese soldier they had no choice in what their governments did or whether to fight or not. And you call these regular people who suffered under Bolshevism and then thrust into war "cannon fodder"? Look how depraved you are.

You don't care about German women being mass graped. Because deep down you think they deserved it. You don't care about the people of Dresden, Hamburg, Tokyo, Hiroshima, Nagasaki, and others being completely slaughtered because again you think they deserved it. You view the Russian people as cannon fodder whose lives can just be sacrificed.

Lets be honest here all you know is hatred. This is what American propaganda and rhetoric leads to. It leads to hatred and dehumanization of entire races of people. That's why you and other posters keep attacking me personally over a simple difference of a opinion and understanding. You're full of hatred.

I'm sorry, but it's impossible to take you seriously when you keep talking about the mass graping of German women.

<Dany07>

I'm sorry, but it's impossible to take you seriously when you keep talking about the mass graping of German women.

<Dany07>

Nice evasion there. The point remains. You've been radicalized by American propaganda and are full of hatred.

Last edited:
No wars are "good" but WW2 was needed. Germany just started invading Europe with the genocide of a people one of its goals. To not recognize stopping that as being good takes a special sort of ignorance. No idea what the poster Oneofone is thinking other than having an agenda to just hate on anything western.
Japan can be argued a little bit but they did strike first in a sneak attack so at the least the retaliation is understandable. There were other ways to resolve an oil embargo.

That said most times in war there are no good guys but every so often like ww2 there definitely is.

Nice evasion there. The point remains. You've been radicalized by American propaganda and are full of hatred.

No evasion is necessary. The only one here who's drunk the propaganda Kool Aid is you. As pretty much everyone who's responded to your drivel in this Thread has pointed out.

Japanese society as a whole tends to be pacifist and meek. This is true through most of history. The Japanese upper hierarchy tends to be boastful, aggressive and controlling. The result that happens is when their society shifts to something more war like those people tend to take control. Therefore, you end up with a pacifist society getting pushed around and controlled by those people. The world would have turned out like that. Weak, subordinate people sacrificing every single civil liberty because somebody put on a uniform and raised their voice. At the end of the day that's all there is to this and those people will fill your brain with any kind of bullshit necessary to make you think otherwise. This tends to be the reason Japanese are so pacifist because they know if they give over too much attention to those people they will take control.

Sure thing buddy. Whatever you say.
Lol , its not just me saying it buddeh. Your either trolling, incredibly ignorant (though your perciverance is impressive) , or have a anti west agenda. Maybe all 3. Don't know

Roosevelt appealed to all major belligerents in 1939 to restrict their bombing raids to military targets and infrastructure. Britain agreed to do so, provided Nazi Germany played by the same rules. When the Luftwaffe carried out the Rotterdam Blitz, killing well over a thousand civilians and destroying large parts of the city in an effort to break Dutch resistance, the RAF took the gloves off.
I'm not casting blame here necessarily, just saying that's it's morally bad and doesn't accomplish anything. Nobody's morale was effected on either side, it just made everyone fight harder

No one in their right mind should be arguing with an idiot who thinks that the side that was perpetrating genocide based on a false racial construct and began said war by invading their neighbors was the moral equal of the side that didn't do those things.

Even the Germans think they were the bad guys in that war, lol.
This is true. My family is German and I have visited there.

German people are very proud of our culture and achievements. But not the Hitler part.

Afghan and Iraq were good for my bank account.

<Fedor23>

The bombs on civilian hiroshima wasn't glossed over by everyone. I had a history teacher who believed that Japan was already in the process of surrender after Hiroshima and that it wasn't fast enough so we dropped another. His opinion was that the second one was absolutely not necessary. Who knows the rationale behind it, maybe they wanted to scare the shit out of the rest of the world, and I'm sure it worked.

Not only your history teacher, but the man who was actually in charge of the Pacific Theatre, Douglas MacArthur, was vehemently against dropping the nukes on Japan.

For all intents and purposes, Japan was signalling defeat and through intercepted communications the US learned that they were negotiating to surrender to the Russians - the only stipulation the Japanese asked was they wanted their emperor to retain his title in Japan. The US wanted nothing of it, and certainly did not want the Russians stealing their spoils of war.

Personally, I believe it was a combination of things. Equally important with the above, the US had newly developed these bombs that they were just itching to show off. Basically, it was a great opportunity to flex the muscle of the US to the rest of the world, at the expense of a couple hundred thousand Japanese people of course. MacArthur argued vehemently at the time that the Japanese were already defeated militarily - the bombs were just an alpha bro flex.

(Not you) but too many people want to bitch about how horrible the Japanese were during and before the war, especially in the case of punishing innocent civilians, and then turn around and be complacent with the fact that the US is the only country to actively use nuclear weapons on another country, which resulted in instant 6 figure deaths of every man, woman, and child in the vicinity.

Dropping the bombs were political decisions through and through - they were not dropped out of military necessity, which every single American is taught in high school and I'm sure will rustle plenty of feathers because that's what they've believed their entire lives.

6218598e898db.jpeg

Back