Was Renan Barao ever THAT good? (longish read)

What a great site. People post but haven't even read the thread.

I think what youre seeing is people replying in general terms (not directing to TS specifically). TS clearly gave his thoughts on Barao and the lead up to the fight, etc, etc. In my opinion, these sorts of threads should be held back for a handful of days after the fight. Emotions are too high around the result and theres an increased chance of immature replies.

You need to add cliffs. Sherdog will crap all over this thread without even bothering to read.

Cliifs: Any fighter can lose, no matter how good they are, and the loss shouldn't take away from their previous accomplishments and performances.

That's pretty much it. Good OP and well written, but nothing ground breaking.

So, he never beat cruz and had crappy early stoppage title wins. The world saw what i thought, he was never an outstanding fighter. Lmao pickett. Please.

Cruz would have whooped him too

LOL yeah unbeaten for 30+ match and 9 years,beating Pickett Jorgensen McDonald Wineland and Faber twice is nothing similar to "outstanding".

I think Johnny Eduardo would whoop him too.

I think he was "that" good in BW. But definitely not P4P. I fucking loathe Jon Jones but I cannot hide from the fact that he has nearly cleaned out the hardest division in MMA. Bantamweight is very shallow by comparison. Barao should never have been in the same P4P conversation as Jones.

You need to add cliffs. Sherdog will crap all over this thread without even bothering to read.

You know mate, I thought of that. But really, if I wrote anything worth reading then the sort of people I'd expect to get something out of reading it will give it a go, I hope.

If getting crapped on from time to time was a big barrier to me in life I'd never post here at all.

Cliifs: Any fighter can lose, no matter how good they are, and the loss shouldn't take away from their previous accomplishments and performances.

This IS Sherdog, you know? Fighter loses and isn't overrated... that is a hugely novel concept here.

Never meant it to be groundbreaking, it was merely my thoughts on the hot topic of yesterday. Hardly like I spent my 10 minutes or so preparing a paper for grading. Mostly I just have this romantic vision in my head that one day all people will consider fighters like Barao on their merits, instead of just having some sort of immature backlash reaction to a fighters most obnoxious fans.

Always loved your name and AV, btw.

Doesn't this make some of you guys realize how silly and useless p4p rankings are? Seriously, the only real backlash on Barao now is "well I knew he wasn't #1 p4p" because for anyone to say he was all hype at 135 would look foolish. That fight was a big deal for TJ, Barao, and the BW division, why bring guys like Bones, Cain etc into it? P4P is a totally made up thing and not worth the arguments some of you guys have on here.

Lol only the thread title will make a big storm. And i would have damned you into the lowest circles of hell if i wouldnt have read the whole thing.

But yes, Barao was the dark horse BW needed after Cruz got injured, and he proved he is a deserving champion at that weight class since Cruz wasnt fighting. Granted, TJ put a beating on him but it doesnt make him any lesser fighter, if anything it means Dillashaw is also a very extraordinary skilled fighter. I hope Barao can bounce back, but after a performance like that, i have no problem with TJ having the belt. He deserved it this time.

You know mate, I thought of that. But really, if I wrote anything worth reading then the sort of people I'd expect to get something out of reading it will give it a go, I hope.

If getting crapped on from time to time was a big barrier to me in life I'd never post here at all.

This...

I've always gone with the idea that anyone who posts with 'TLDR' or some other dumb shit, isn't someone whose opinion I'd want anyways.

Fighter loses, he was never that good
Sherdog gonna sherdog...

EDIT: apologies to TS. I was mislead by the title.

I will add to that

Figher loses, he was over rated.

Fighter is dominant, Division is weak.

Welcome to sherdog, have a nice day :)

It does beg the question:
Is the guy who wins always better than the guy who loses?

Now that is a good question. There have certainly been times where we've seen a guy put on the fight of his life and beat an amazing fighter then simply never recapture the magic of that day.

I think sometimes it is possible for a fighter to be better than another fighter on the day, but not always to be better. Certainly wouldn't say that about Barao and TJ at this point, I think history bears testament to that sort of thing. It can't often be answered short term. Like Joe Louis and Max Schmelling, Louis was the better fighter and still was beaten after Max-Schmell discovered a weakness in his technique. Their careers from that point on showed who was better, though, even if they had never rematched.

No cliff's notes required if people don't want to read something they don't deserve to be rewarded with a lazy way out of something worthwhile :)

Lol only the thread title will make a big storm. And i would have damned you into the lowest circles of hell if i wouldnt have read the whole thing.

But yes, Barao was the dark horse BW needed after Cruz got injured, and he proved he is a deserving champion at that weight class since Cruz wasnt fighting. Granted, TJ put a beating on him but it doesnt make him any lesser fighter, if anything it means Dillashaw is also a very extraordinary skilled fighter. I hope Barao can bounce back, but after a performance like that, i have no problem with TJ having the belt. He deserved it this time.

I'd be lying if I said I hadn't thought about my title and intended a little sensationalism in order to get more input and readers. I really agree with your whole post.

Never meant it to be groundbreaking, it was merely my thoughts on the hot topic of yesterday. Hardly like I spent my 10 minutes or so preparing a paper for grading. Mostly I just have this romantic vision in my head that one day all people will consider fighters like Barao on their merits, instead of just having some sort of immature backlash reaction to a fighters most obnoxious fans.

Always loved your name and AV, btw.

Thanks dude! Appreciate it :)

And there is nothing wrong with it not being groundbreaking. Didn't mean it in a bad way. I wish more threads would start with a coherent post like yours did.

Well I say no since I'm on Sherdog. But in real life yes he was.

Always thought a Prime Cruz would decision him. In some ways TJ fought similarly against Barao... I hope we still see the fight down the line.

Back